Has there ever been a more transparent tank job?

SmittyBacall

Did you not see Fangio call a TO when the Raiders had like 2 seconds on the playclock and weren't lined up for the 2 pt try? 

Or where he trotted McManus out on 1st and 10 with 9 seconds left? 

Home boy was literally the reason we won today through his direct actions. 

Denver had to have wanted draft position lol

7 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

"some" doesnt feel like potentially just one other, but its a start :)

Truth be told (and this is me being serious),  most of your fan base here is very reasonable.  But you guys have such a large presence of fans that it only takes a few small bad apples to ruin the entire tree.  It's the same way with Patriots and ever other large fan base. 

EDIT: You kinda learn to weed out as you go. Those are the ones that you want to pay attention too. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Are you really going to put yourself on the same level as a professional QB--regardless as to which level they are at?

I don’t have to be a professional level QB. The point is that the drop off from Hurts to the back up is substantial, no matter how substantial it is. Come on,  you’re being deliberately obtuse now.

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

By the same token, pulling Hurts is also a "best for their team" move. Iggles weren't going to the playoffs. So winning does nothing for them. But the move does a few things:

• Avoids injury in a meaningless game. Preserving Hurts for when they can groom him in a more normal offseason
  • Brings Nate in to see if he can win under pressure. If he can't get the win they get the #6 pick rather than dropping to #9.

There's no downside to this move in terms of benefit to the team.

This is nonsense. If they were so concerned about injury then they wouldn’t have played him at all. Yes it’s a meaningless game but Pederson didn’t just have an epiphany. I actually don’t really have a problem because in the bigger picture losing that game will help them but let’s not act like this isn’t sketchy and the motives lied elsewhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If someone can actually prove to me that anyone in the NFL (the ultimate TEAM sport) has enough power to convince ~50 different lifelong competitive staff members or players to give up their personal and career integrity to the point that they are willing to "tank" then I'm all ears.

You’re making it sound like some sort of bigger conspiracy than it actually is. It’s not a team-wide decision, it’s made by upper management with the future of the team in mind. I’m not even saying it’s an abhorrent or irrational decision - just saying that it happens, and was pretty clearly on display last night. 

The proof your looking for doesn’t exist, because management will never come out and willingly admit to making decisions that would actually put themselves in a disadvantageous position to win the game(s). The evidence is on display by watching the game and witnessing a slew of questionable decisions. It’s subtle, but teams do it.

Edited by SmittyBacall

8 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I mean, it doesn’t get more obvious than that. In a very competitively close game Pederson pulled the catalyst of their offense to start a fringe NFL QB Nate Sudfield in an attempt to, “see what they have there” - according to the NBC broadcast booth. Inexcusable, if you ask me.

By losing Phildelphia moved up and secured the 6th pick instead of picking 9th. This comes like a week after team captain Jason Kelce gave an awesome speech on the importance of NOT tanking. 

I thought the Bengals starting Ryan Finley for three games last year was the most obvious tank job I’ve seen, but after tonight this takes the cake. My condolences to Eagles fans, Giants fans, and anyone who had money on Philly. 

Questions:

What can the NFL do (if anything) to deter tanking?

Do you agree with the sentiment of tanking?

How does this affect Phildelphia’s culture or the perception of Pederson moving forward (of at all)?

It does feel like Pederson agreed to throw the game in exchange for keeping his job. I think how it affects their culture is it makes guys want to play in Philadelphia less. Pederson waited too long to go to Hurts then when he does Hurts looks pretty good then he benches him in a close game just to see what they got with a 3rd stringer? It almost seems like Pederson has a personal vendetta against Hurts even though I'm pretty sure he's just incompetent.

35 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If Philly gets punished, Jacksonville should have to forfeit their 1st rounder for tanking.

Bengals should be forced to trade Joe Burrow.

No rational person is saying they should be punished. Just that it happened, and it was maybe more noticeably obvious than any other tank I’ve seen.

The purpose of this thread can be seen in the title.

Would it have mattered if it was for a higher pick? is Pick 6 too low to be worthy of a tank?

Doug was going for 4th downs all game, and using it to get tape on guys.

Not caring about winning so much doesn't necessarily mean tanking.

What was to be gleaned by letting hurts go out there with this banged up squad a little more?