Which team or player has the most pressure on them in these playoffs?

ClutchDJ

The answer to this thread is Aaron Rodgers.

Another historic season in books, with the MVP all but locked up, AND the number one seeded NFC team.

Remember, back in 2011, people were saying this guy was going to end up being the GOAT, and that the Packers were going to be the next great dynasty. Ten years later, and they’re still only sitting at one title.

This is truly his last best chance to get a second ring. He’s been on fire, and has proven that he’s still the most talented QB in football (possibly all time). If he goes out like he did to the Giants in the divisional round several years ago, his legacy as a playoff performer takes a tremendous hit. A player of his caliber only winning one championship is a significant disappointment. 

To make matters worse, if he doesn’t win it all this year, one of his direct contemporaries most likely will. If any of Brees, Brady, Wilson, Ben, or Mahomes add to their ring count, that ends up knocking Aaron down a peg in any all-time arguments. 

Edited by Slingin' Sammy

The Saints might be the team with the most pressure to win this season, since Brees is surely gone next year. However, depending on what QB they pick up, they might be able to jump right back into contention. As limited as Drew is these days, it’s still going to be damn hard to replace him.

Rivers would have a strong argument if his team was a favorite, but I don’t think anyone expects the Colts to make a deep run in the AFC.

I think Lamar Jackson has the most pressure to get a single win. The narrative is already there a bit that he can't win in the postseason, so if they lose to the Titans again, and he has a poor game, it's just going to get stronger. I don't think they have to win the superbowl, they are a wildcard team, but there's a lot of pressure on him beating the Titans, IMO. He can lose the very next round and be fine, though.

To actually win and/or go deep in the postseason, I think it's Rodgers and the Packers. Their last 4 years have been split between embarrassing playoff exits looking outmatched in the conference championship, and missing the postseason entirely. Haven't made the superbowl since 2010. Last year they flat out looked like they didn't belong, against San Fran. But this year, they look like one of the best team's in the league, Rodgers should win MVP and this will likely go down as the second best regular season of his career. Rodgers isn't Brady/Brees old, but he's not young either. To not make anything out of this season in the playoffs would have to be unbelievably disappointing.

Also, going to be honest, until I looked it up now, I did not realize just how disappointing the Packers postseason performance has been this past decade. 4 double digit losses, the OT loss to the Cardinals, the onside kick against the Seahawks, and back to back years where they just could not stop Kaepernick from running all over them. It just feels like they've done better than that. They have had some wins in there, the losses just always seem rough.

• Like 1

Maybe not the most pressure but Mitch has alot to play for right now since he is auditioning for a 2nd chance at the possibility of being a starter. 

I wrote about this in the Bears/Packers GTD thread and since I'm lazy, I'll just quote it. 

Saying how meaningful this game is an understatement.  Mitch could literally be playing for millions of dollars and for other peoples jobs over the next week or so. 

One of the things that I'll be watching closely is Mitch's play and confidence.   Not only because the game will be dependent on it but more because one of Mitch's biggest flaws has always been mental, especially in pressure situations, and this game and possible playoff game(s), are going to be a big deciding factor for his career moving forward into the offseason.  It's going to be huge for him to say the least. 

It's always been really hard for him to bounce back mentally when the pressure is on and/or he is having a bad game, or coming off a bad game, and the amount of pressure and expectations that is on him right now going into this game are undeniably the most pressure he has faced in his entire football career. 

Alot of heads may roll if the Bears lose this game, especially if we don't make the playoffs at all (Cards beat the Rams).   Needless to say, this game will be under McCaskey's microscope after the embarrassing loss against the Packers earlier in the season  (limited practice due to C19 or not). 

So Mitch performance is not only going to be a deciding factor for his future but for others within the organization as well.  

Now, in the event the Bears lose and Mitch has a bad game but the Bears still make the playoffs, I will be watching extra closely how Mitch responds in the playoff game.  Is he capable of putting the terrible GB game behind him fast enough to get to work so he can play well in the next game and carry the team to a playoff win?   Or will he be mentally crushed due to the pressure and fold like he has done these last 3 years? 

Other teams are going to be looking closely at this too just in case he hits the FA market.  This will tell him alot on whether he has truly started to overcome that adversity and whether he is worth developing and investing in the future.  Or is this still the same old Mitch and these last 5 games were nothing more than just a facade. 

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

1st Round? Bills. Josh Allen and the Bills can’t lose back to back first rounds after such an amazing season. And the Colts are a tough squad. 

No question it's the Bills right off the bat. They have been the darling of the past month and now a cute pick above Kansas City by some.

But they also got the worst imaginable draw from the new format, given a #2 seed. Instead of a week off and then home to face a weary opponent, the Bills are stuck in the opening playoff game on Saturday. That means they either advance or are unceremoniously first booted out of the playoffs while teams like Washington and Chicago remain. 

Plus it's anything but an easy opponent, as BayRaider mentioned

Edited by Awsi Dooger

It's Lamar. He has the cloud of 100% one and dones in the playoffs. It seems, according to some Bal beat writers as well, that he's well aware and took it personally. 

He could post a photo of a car on social media, and it gets flooded with 'yeah but you havent won a playoff game'. 

Then it's Brady because of his record in post - season and general level of expectation

Then it's Rogers because he'll be hungry for more than 1 ring, and his talent suggests he should have multiple by now

14 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Lamar probably. He already has the "can't win playoff games" over him, and now he's facing the Titans again which is it's own narrative alone. Josh Allen could get blown out this year and people would still not question him like they have Lamar.

Aside from Lamar, it's probably Aaron Rodgers. The season he put up has massive playoff expectations to go with it, and he's obviously not going to get many more shots at the playoffs.

I think the Lamar pressure just stems for the scheme they play in. Ppl for some reason hate the idea of having a rushing QB and rushing attack the ravens have. So that first playoff loss was people saying you can’t win with that style of play. Following year thst style of play absolutely destroys the league and makes him the unanimous MVP and then the team gets embarrassed in the playoffs. I think the light is brighter on Lamar becuase of the scheme and the early success. I think if roles were switched. Allen would be having the same amount of pressure. 

I think if Allen has a bad playoff game, he will get question cause it was his streaky play thst cost them the playoff game last year. 

also think Allen gets a pass cause he plays for the lovable loser bills, who he transformed. Jackson didn’t get that card cause he went to a good team thst has had success. Since they had so much success thst it has already lead to ppl hating thst team. 

• Like 1

As a team it's the Saints. They're the best regular season team in the NFL the last four years and haven't won the NFC and only made the NFCCG once. Given that they already took apart the Bucs, the only team they'd be off the hook for losing to would be the Packers. If they don't make the NFCCG this year, this will have been arguably the most disappointing regular season success to playoff runs in league history

52 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I think the Lamar pressure just stems for the scheme they play in. Ppl for some reason hate the idea of having a rushing QB and rushing attack the ravens have. So that first playoff loss was people saying you can’t win with that style of play. Following year thst style of play absolutely destroys the league and makes him the unanimous MVP and then the team gets embarrassed in the playoffs. I think the light is brighter on Lamar becuase of the scheme and the early success. I think if roles were switched. Allen would be having the same amount of pressure. 

I think if Allen has a bad playoff game, he will get question cause it was his streaky play thst cost them the playoff game last year. 

also think Allen gets a pass cause he plays for the lovable loser bills, who he transformed. Jackson didn’t get that card cause he went to a good team thst has had success. Since they had so much success thst it has already lead to ppl hating thst team. 

What do you means gets a pass? He had an MVP caliber season this year so he shouldn’t really need a pass for much this year. I think last post season was a learning moment for him but we’ll find out this weekend

IMO, the team with the most to lose are the Saints, for 3 reasons:

1.  This is Brees' last year as a QB, in all likelihood.

2.  They are in cap hell in a massive way next year.   Sure, we hear this every year, but 2021 is so different - the cap's never gone down by 30M than expected.    NO is literally 90M over the cap (Brees' retiring would relieve 25M...but that's still unchartered territory).

3.  The cracks with the M-Thomas situation are likely going to lead to a parting of ways.   

Saints are rightfully a contender, but their window looks like it's closing fast, out of all the teams that are in the top 4.  

Lamar: He's been raked through the coals for his playoff record/inability to win a playoff game (a bit over-reactionary IMO)

Rodgers: There's been a lot of hating towards him since he won his 1st/only, and they've got the overall #1 seed

The Saints: Cap Armageddon incoming, Brees is old/fading

I personally don't see how anyone could say Brady since he's got 6 rings. He could throw 15 INT and lose 75-0 his legacy is cemented already. He'd get a pass because he's doing unprecedented things at his age.

Mahomes won it last year, so "it's hard to repeat" would be the narrative.

If the Bills lose Game 1, they'd start chirping a little bit about their inability to win a playoff game heading into 2021.

31 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

What do you means gets a pass? He had an MVP caliber season this year so he shouldn’t really need a pass for much this year. I think last post season was a learning moment for him but we’ll find out this weekend

Lamar literally did have an MVP season last year and still doesn’t get the pass for being 0-2 in the playoffs lol.

It’s ridiculous, but prepare for the “can’t win a playoff game tho” comments 100x this offseason on every forum and social media if Allen loses and goes 0-2 to start his career. 

Us Ravens fans know that frustrating reality all too well

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Lamar literally did have an MVP season last year and still doesn’t get the pass for being 0-2 in the playoffs lol.

It’s ridiculous, but prepare for the “can’t win a playoff game tho” comments 100x this offseason on every forum and social media if Allen loses and goes 0-2 to start his career. 

Us Ravens fans know that frustrating reality all too well

Okay but josh Allen hasn’t played in the playoffs this year yet. Josh Allen wasn’t playing like an MVP last post season so I don’t see how that lines up with Lamar winning MVP last year and going 0-1. If Allen loses round 1 and puts up a stinker than yeah he’ll deserve to get a bit of heat just Lamar does. Not always justified but that’s how it goes.