Veteran QB Matt Schaub retires

RaidersAreOne

What a weird but interesting career. I think people forget there was a point where he was probably a legit, top 10 QB in this league. Or at least really close to it. 

I really thought the niners were going to bring him in as a back up next year. Can't believe he's already like 40. 

• Like 5

I was wondering why he was playing so long after his skillset had long diminished. He has I think 5 kids or so, and lives or lived in a huge mansion in Atlanta. So I can see why it would be beneficial to keep getting that scratch. Anyways, Schaub looked good as early as his first start against New England when he was a Falcon in 2005. I still remember the press conference when was traded to Houston. Too bad he immediately fell off a cliff in 2013, and never bounced back. Overall good NFL career. 

BTW @ET80 it's time to pay your respects :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

19 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I was wondering why he was playing so long after his skillset had long diminished. He has I think 5 kids or so, and lives or lived in a huge mansion in Atlanta. So I can see why it would be beneficial to keep getting that scratch. Anyways, Schaub looked good as early as his first start against New England when he was a Falcon in 2005. I still remember the press conference when was traded to Houston. Too bad he immediately fell off a cliff in 2013, and never bounced back. Overall good NFL career. 

BTW @ET80 it's time to pay your respects :)

ET was on his way but Schaub just threw a pick six and he had a meltdown.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

BTW @ET80 it's time to pay your respects

Up until recently, he was the best QB in Texans history - didn't have a lively arm, but was smart and precise, he made some big time plays for the Texans over his career.

Injuries really took away his limited physical ability - usually injuries at the hands of Albert Haynesworth. It didn't show in 2012, but the lisfranc fracture he suffered against Tampa Bay (against Albert Haynesworth) more or less ruined him - he wasn't able to plant and throw like he used to, and that's what led to the pick six parade in 2013.

Good guy overall, he was unfairly hated his final few years - he was never going to be Peyton Manning, but he was a solid QB in his own right. He's probably got a coaching gig lined up for him if he wants, he's still got a fantastic knowledge of the game.

Good on him, enjoy retirement...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

What a weird but interesting career. I think people forget there was a point where he was probably a legit, top 10 QB in this league. Or at least really close to it. 

I really thought the niners were going to bring him in as a back up next year. Can't believe he's already like 40. 

Watching him in Atlanta, i didn’t expect his future output in Houston at all. He had a pretty spectacular career based on what was expected of his ceiling. 

37 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Good guy overall, he was unfairly hated his final few years

I feel like this could apply for a lot of limited guys who work their butts off to get the most out of what they have. Fans keep hoping for more, but he just can’t.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

He may have actually been a top 5 guy for a while. The Matt Schaub story is probably the weirdest thing in modern football history. I wonder if someone will actually write a book about it all, try and detail just what happened to the poor guy.