Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

1 hour ago, Ninerholic said:

I don’t think we’re overrating him. Just trying to get rid of him.

So - in addition to landing a top 3 QB - you're expecting a salary dump? 

Yeah, a lot more picks need to be thrown in for the Texans to give up their crown jewel PLUS take on a bad contract. 

I'm thinking RG3/Jared Goff haul + player of value (Aiyuk, Deebo, McGlinchey) is the bare minimum starting point. Adding Jimmy G should add additional picks to the math - it's a contract nobody wants.

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

So - in addition to landing a top 3 QB - you're expecting a salary dump? 

Yeah, a lot more picks need to be thrown in for the Texans to give up their crown jewel PLUS take on a bad contract. 

I'm thinking RG3/Jared Goff haul + player of value (Aiyuk, Deebo, McGlinchey) is the bare minimum starting point. Adding Jimmy G should add additional picks to the math - it's a contract nobody wants.

Yes

It would take a team like the NYJ offering Darnold (rookie contract), #2, and both 1sts they got from Seattle (2021 and 2022) minimum...or maybe even the Jets 2022 pick instead of the Seahawks.

• Like 1

Just now, ravishingone said:

From a non-ESPN insider. 

Yes, if I'm a team without a top 5-10 QB - I'm absolutely on the phone right now with Nick Caserio.

Even if you have a young QB who is showing promise, you still make that call. Outside of KC, Buffalo and Seattle, you check to see if it's not going to hamstring your situation.

Watson would be a terrible fit with the Jets. Miami makes sense. Tua and the number 1 and a number 2 or 3. I don’t think it will cost them two 1st rounders, but it would probably be a late pick anyway if Watson plays well all year. Carolina doesn’t have the fire power. They’d have to give up multiple 1sts and 2nds.

Edited by WheatieMan

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Yes, if I'm a team without a top 5-10 QB - I'm absolutely on the phone right now with Nick Caserio.

Even if you have a young QB who is showing promise, you still make that call. Outside of KC, Buffalo and Seattle, you check to see if it's not going to hamstring your situation.

Ahem, I am pretty sure you are missing a few teams. 

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Yes

It would take a team like the NYJ offering Darnold (rookie contract), #2, and both 1sts they got from Seattle (2021 and 2022) minimum...or maybe even the Jets 2022 pick instead of the Seahawks.

This is why Watson is effectively untradeable tbh.

The only teams that have enough draft picks/players to make it work are all going completely in. If you're going all the way in, it's worth the gamble to ride out the guy on his rookie deal instead of having a huge cap hit for Watson, plus all of the holes on the roster that can't be solved with draft picks. You've already gone all in, no sense in taking your chips down (which is what trading for a known quantity in Watson instead of gambling on a 1st round QB is).