3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

6 teams that are in front of us in the draft that need QBs:

2) Jets
😎 Panthers
9) Broncos
12) 49ers
15) Patriots
19) Washington

I'm sticking with my original prediction.  We move up a few spots and draft Mac Jones. 

I could see it being the Patriots at #15 since Belichick loves trading down and stock-piling picks mid-late rd picks, and Pace has traded with the Patriots twice in the last 3 years, and Washinton being ahead of us. 

**Bears trade 1st [#20] and 3rd [#83] in exchange for the Patriots #15. 

Or I could also see Pace moving up to 13 to get ahead of the Patriots to get Jones out of fear of losing out on Jones (especially with the Saban/Belichick connection). 

**Bears trade 1st [20), 5th [165], and Anthony Miller in exchange for Chargers 1st [#13] and 6th [#201].

Now, is Mac Jones worth #13 or #15? That's debatable. But I wouldn't be mad at either of these proposed trades.

There are a lot of QB Dominos left to fall before the draft and that's going to effect a lot of this.  

#2 What do the Jets do with Darnold?  You have to think that if Darnold stays they arent drafting a QB, and if he goes, that changes who is looking QB early.  I think most likely this is where Zach Wilson goes either way.  Either the Jets themselves or the 49ers in a trade up.  For the purposes of this exercise, we'll say that 49ers and Jets end up with Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson in some combination.  That's 2 of the 6 teams you listed.

#8 This is interesting bc if we are to believe what we are told, this could be the Texans pick.  The Texans need everything, they could go QB here, but if they have Teddy they may instead want to just go BPA, burn it down and start fresh next year with a full compliment of picks and 2 FRPs.  Their own likely being a high pick.  If Wilson was here I think they take him, not sure if they will take Fields though.  This is probably a bla pick imo.  Of course if someone else gets Watson this is the likely landing spot for Fields.

#9 Vic is in a similar situation to Nagy in that he has to win this year, and has to do it in a division with Mahomes and Herbert.  Vic is going to rely on a rookie to do that.  A vet QB will be signed in FA, and I think that vet could be Mitch.  The Broncos want to do the things Mitch is good at.  Vic likes Mitch. My gut says Drew Locke starts on a short leash, with Mitch taking the reins a few games in.  A la Ryan Tannehill.  I think this is the most likely spot for Fields and this is probably where the Bears want to go if they want Fields.

That leaves Pats and WFT.  The Pats will almost certainly trade down before taking a QB here or will go BPA.  If Devonta Smith is still available, I dont see how they pass him up.  They also may already have Jimmy G in the fold here as well.  I would put the likelihood that they take a QB in this spot at 10%.  

WFT have 3 QBs on the roster today, all of which started meaningful games last year.  One of them will not be on the roster by the draft.  Heinecke just signed an ext, hes staying.  Either Smith or Allen will be cut.  If Fields is here, hes easily the pick.  If hes gone, maybe this could be Trey Lance, but I find that doubtful.  

IMO Lance can probably be had at 23 or 24 if that's the direction you want to go.  I don't see any scenario where Jones goes ahead of the Beaes pick or anytime soon thereafter.  

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion ...just thought I'd share it for some chatter.  I was posting this more to show that Mac Jones is perhaps rated higher than a lot of people tend to believe.

Obviously Lawrence is going to be the #1 for most people...but it's always good to see some different perspectives.

Remember all the draft pundits that said Watson was ranked behind Trubisky back in 2017 or the same ones that said Jameis Winston was going to be the next great NFL QB?

I mean it's not as if it doesn't happen every year where people are wrong...

I can also show you some guys who said Davis Webb was the best QB in the 2017 draft, or even Nate Peterman.  June Jones hasnt coached in the NFL for nearly 30 years and was bad when he did.  And Trubisky was higher rated than Watson.  He was consensus #1 QB.  Predraft rankings are not predictive of how their careers turn out.  

15 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Just means your team was better than they were.  QB success and team wins are not mutually exclusive. 

Yea, I agree. I'm just pointing out that the outlook for finding the next QB is pretty bad. The FA market is pretty slim, the Bears don't have much extra draft capital to be dealing, and there are still 7-10 teams with a need ahead of them in the draft.

They're playing from behind when it comes to solving the position. The best option is probably to draft a developmental guy and try to land a veteran starter.

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

Sam Darnold could be available for a team's second round pick. 

The Jets are widely expected to use the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, making Darnold expendable after Adam Gase nearly destroyed his career. League sources told SportsNet New York's Ralph Vacchiano that the Eagles trading Carson Wentz to the Colts for a third rounder and a conditional second rounder wouldn't change the Jets' asking price for Darnold. Vacchiano reports the Jets' asking price for their QB "has long been projected to be a second-round pick, plus maybe another mid-to-late rounder." Incredibly just 23 years old, Darnold could be an enticing target for a QB-needy team like Washington, who is reportedly interested in dealing for Darnold. It would be stunning if a team -- Washington or otherwise -- offered anything more than a second round pick for Darnold. 

That picture is disturbing. 

• Like 1

I doubt we draft any rd 1 qb. Pace and Nagy can’t afford to have a rookie qb that will lead them to <10 wins or they’re gonna get canned. A new qb’s future diverges from their future if they can’t win now. It’s gonna have to be a 2nd tier qb in a trade imo. 

2 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I doubt we draft any rd 1 qb. Pace and Nagy can’t afford to have a rookie qb that will lead them to <10 wins or they’re gonna get canned. A new qb’s future diverges from their future if they can’t win now. It’s gonna have to be a 2nd tier qb in a trade imo. 

Would the Eagles be interested in trading back for Foles? Extend Robinson, sign or tag Mitch and do what you need to do in the draft.

8 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Would the Eagles be interested in trading back for Foles? Extend Robinson, sign or tag Mitch and do what you need to do in the draft.

One of the first rumors of the off-season was that the Bears were in discussions to trade Foles back to the Eagles. I'd be willing to bet that rumor has some substance to it. 

26 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Mitch doesn’t want back and Chicago doesn’t want him back. I can’t imagine any incentive Mitch would have in being interested in coming back. 
I can’t see Phi wanting Foles back at this point in his career but if they offered their 7th for him I’d take it. 

18 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

One of the first rumors of the off-season was that the Bears were in discussions to trade Foles back to the Eagles. I'd be willing to bet that rumor has some substance to it. 

Bears off-season rumors are accurate <1% of the time 

1 minute ago, dafreak said:

Might explain the reports of the Bears being tied to a Wentz trade. Perhaps they weren't discussing Wentz at all.

Well, reports suggest that the Bears talked to the Eagles about Wentz, but never made an offer. And, considering what the Colts ended up paying for Wentz...those reports do make some sense. I mean, we were moaning about the potential cost before the final trade even went down. I bet Pace decided he wanted no first round pick (even a potential one) involved in any Wentz trade. 

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

There are a lot of QB Dominos left to fall before the draft and that's going to effect a lot of this. 

Oh for sure. A lot can change in the next 2 months and trying to predict every free agent move is nearly impossible. Especially after watching the Lions/Rams trade happen--which nobody saw coming.   I was only working under the assumption Fields and Wilson are both gone by pick 10 leaving Mac Jones. I forgot about Lance. 

Watson could go to Miami or San Fran.  If he's even traded at all. 

Jimmy G going to the Patriots seems unlikely imo since trading him created so much turmoil between Kraft and Belichick.  Why would JG wanna go play for a GM who didn't want him in the first place? 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/pats-reportedly-offered-jimmy-g-18myear-belichick-furious-demoralized-after-trade/

But yeah.....alot can happen.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Yea, I agree. I'm just pointing out that the outlook for finding the next QB is pretty bad. The FA market is pretty slim, the Bears don't have much extra draft capital to be dealing, and there are still 7-10 teams with a need ahead of them in the draft.

They're playing from behind when it comes to solving the position. The best option is probably to draft a developmental guy and try to land a veteran starter.

No doubt. But while the options are limited and we are behind 7 other teams who are looking for QBs there is also 7-10 other QBs who are possibly on the market to fill those spots as well. 

Crazy offseason for sure.