Future QB Discussion

G08

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Who is Darnell?

Also, no way Dallas doesn't tag Prescott

I'd imagine they tag him even if the intent is to trade him. 38 million is a ton on a decreased cap year and if I were him at this point I'd be very close to pulling a cousins and riding this out. They have some cap space, but a lot of their big money contacts aren't great right now

8 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

How about Teddy Bridgewater?  If Carolina drafts a rookie at #8, he might be available and likely wouldn't be as expensive as the top free agents. 

He isn’t good. 15:11 TD:INT, benched late in the year.

I am not sure why we would view him as an upgrade.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I'd view him as a pretty good upgrade over Trubisky and Foles.  He's probably not the ultimate answer for the Bears, but I was just trying to throw the idea out there as a possible option as a bridge to the future.  The Bears are in a tough position with the 20th overall pick when it comes to trading up.

46 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'd view him as a pretty good upgrade over Trubisky and Foles.  He's probably not the ultimate answer for the Bears, but I was just trying to throw the idea out there as a possible option as a bridge to the future.  The Bears are in a tough position with the 20th overall pick when it comes to trading up.

I was against signing Bridgewater last year, and still against it this year.  Before his injury he wasn't good in Minnesota, and he wasn't good in Carolina last year.  That's why they are trying to replace him now.

Just now, GBHalas said:

I was against signing Bridgewater last year, and still against it this year.  Before his injury he wasn't good in Minnesota, and he wasn't good in Carolina last year.  That's why they are trying to replace him now.

I would disagree about his time in Minnesota.  He was showing a lot of promise before his injury.  He led us to a position where we were a chip shot field goal away from winning a playoff game against the Seahawks.  He also looked terrific in the following preseason before his injury.  I know preseason doesn't tell us everything, but still, I'm sure Mike Zimmer never dreamed he would be looking for a new quarterback before Teddy injured his knee.

As far as Carolina is concerned, I will partially agree with you.  He wasn't great, but he wasn't bad either.  He was probably just "ok" and that is why they are looking to replace him. 

Anyway, I'm not trying to say that Bridgewater is the be-all and end-all when it comes to QB options for the Bears.  Chicago is just in a tough spot when it comes to trying to replace Mitch, so I'm throwing stuff up on the wall here in this thread and hoping I can find something that might stick, without stinking up the place.  :)

• Like 1

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

I would disagree about his time in Minnesota.  He was showing a lot of promise before his injury.  He led us to a position where we were a chip shot field goal away from winning a playoff game against the Seahawks.  He also looked terrific in the following preseason before his injury.  I know preseason doesn't tell us everything, but still, I'm sure Mike Zimmer never dreamed he would be looking for a new quarterback before Teddy injured his knee.

As far as Carolina is concerned, I will partially agree with you.  He wasn't great, but he wasn't bad either.  He was probably just "ok" and that is why they are looking to replace him. 

Anyway, I'm not trying to say that Bridgewater is the be-all and end-all when it comes to QB options for the Bears.  Chicago is just in a tough spot when it comes to trying to replace Mitch, so I'm throwing stuff up on the wall here in this thread and hoping I can find something that might stick, without stinking up the place.  :)

If that was the case in Minnesota, why did they let him go?  I'm not sure of the timeline, but Cousins was not there yet, and Bradford was the quarterback at that time when Bridgewater was up for a new contract, and they let him walk.  I would think that if they had hope for him they would have signed him to a one year prove it contract.

I appreciate the fact that you come in here trying to help out with this dilemma and always respected your opinion.  Keep spit-balling, we need all the resources we can mustard lol.

30 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

If that was the case in Minnesota, why did they let him go?  I'm not sure of the timeline, but Cousins was not there yet, and Bradford was the quarterback at that time when Bridgewater was up for a new contract, and they let him walk.  I would think that if they had hope for him they would have signed him to a one year prove it contract.

I appreciate the fact that you come in here trying to help out with this dilemma and always respected your opinion.  Keep spit-balling, we need all the resources we can mustard lol.

It was a very difficult decision.  "Tough guy" Mike Zimmer went on record saying "I love Teddy Bridgewater."  The reason they ended up moving on is that the team doctors gave Teddy only a 25% chance of ever even playing again.  I heard that if it wasn't for the quick actions of our medical staff that day, there was a decent chance that Teddy could have lost that leg.  It was truly a freak injury.

They actually signed Bradford in a panic after Teddy was injured.  I think a big part of it was because they were unveiling their new billion dollar stadium that year and they didn't want to christen the place with a dumpster fire of a season by trotting out their backup QB, after having made it to the playoffs the year before.  Bradford started out playing very well, but as was always the case with Bradford, he was derailed by injury.

• Like 1

Saw an article saying the reports of truth and bears having no interest in a future together is false which I hope isn’t true. I still got love for The Truth, but I’m really hoping he goes to a team like Atlanta that won’t hinder his growth as a qb and will put him in a good place to succeed. 

3 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

How is this forum so consistent about calling Darnold “Darnell” lmao. It’s not like he was a 6th round pick nobody or something. 

It could be the dreaded auto-correct with people posting using their phones.  I hate that feature on my phone more often than not.

• Like 1

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

It could be the dreaded auto-correct with people posting using their phones.  I hate that feature on my phone more often than not.

can you imagine the absolute nightmare it would be without autocorrect? Mostly people on fb/the interwebs are already borderline illiterate even with it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Hmm I seem to recall you really wanted him as a free agent last year tho...what changed? Recency bias is skewing your thoughts I see

That said Bridgwater could be an option if made available since Pace & Nagy pursued him just last year. 

If it was me tho I wouldn't make that deal because his cap hit is just too much for a non elite QB play