Future QB Discussion

G08

This is a great trade for Indy.  The Indy coaching staff is good and will make wentz good again.  Great deal they got him a good price. A third this year and if he pans out a 1st next year and if he sucks you didn’t give up the future.    

The way I’m looking at this is Indy won and Pace lost 

Edited by 41st ward Chicagoian
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Unless they franchise him I dont see any way Tru agrees to stay another year under Nagy. If I was a QB who was trying to make a career Chicago would be one of the last places I'd want to go. Then add being held back and your development stunted for 4 years and there is really no upside to it for him. 

I agree. The chances of Mitch wanting to be back is slim to none. I'm just saying I would rather have Mitch then to sign Minshew.

13 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

The thing about Minshew is that I don't think it would take a giant contract to sign him.  He was a late round draft pick two years ago (6th or 7th?) and he still needs to prove himself before earning a mega-contract.  One thing is certain: he would be a decent upgrade over Trubisky or Foles.

I was just watching the Jags/Texans game from early in 2020 and the thing that kept coming up in my mind was "is Deshaun Watson that much better than Minshew?"  I know that sounds crazy, because Watson is certainly better, but when you consider the price it would take to get each of them, I really wonder if a team would be all that much better off in the long run giving up all those first rounders for Watson. 

Again, I don't want anyone to think I'm saying Minshew is on Watson's level, but he really isn't bad at all.  He doesn't have the rocket arm, and it would be great if he was about 3-4 inches taller, but Minshew makes a lot of good decisions and seems to have the confidence to run an offense.  For maybe a 3rd round pick, the Bears could do a lot worse.

I pitty the fool who gives up a 3rd for Minshew.  You can probably get Minshew for a 6th, but then you have to ask the question, why would you?

People are really being foolish about the draft QBs as well.  Lawrence will go #1, Wilson will probably go top 5, Fields top 10 or just around there (11 or 12), Lance can probably be had with a trade back (think Jordan Love guys) and I'll lay money down that Jones either lasts into the 2nd or a team trades back into the late first to get the 5th year option.  People that think all the QBs are going to go in the top half of the draft are delusional.  Besides the fact that many of the teams in the first half either have their QB or will, your ignoring the fact there are other players at other positions who are considerably better than these guys.  Yes QBs get a premium but you dont pay filet mignon prices for a burger from 5 guys, regardless how good you think the 5 guys burger is.

2 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/players-react-carson-wentz-trade-philadelphia-eagles-indianapolis-colts

Look at the reactions from the colts players.  They know they got a good QB.  A QB with a world of talent.  Colts won. Pace lost.  

So you are just going to ignore the fact that the Bears had the better offer on the table then?  Me, I think the Bears did right.  They put out the offer they were willing to and stuck to it no matter how many times Roseman tried to drive up the price.  You realize that Wentz basically forced the Eagles hand here right?  He made it known that he wanted the Colts and the Bears weren't going to trade for a guy who wasnt invested here.  The eagles lost here, not Pace

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

So you are just going to ignore the fact that the Bears had the better offer on the table then?  Me, I think the Bears did right.  They put out the offer they were willing to and stuck to it no matter how many times Roseman tried to drive up the price.  You realize that Wentz basically forced the Eagles hand here right?  He made it known that he wanted the Colts and the Bears weren't going to trade for a guy who wasnt invested here.  The eagles lost here, not Pace

Glazer says the Bears never made a "real" offer, so they likely offered a 3 and a 5 or something. Good for Pace. I would've been willing to offer that for Wentz but knowing this staff, no thanks. It's a nice deal for Indy, but Pace didn't lose anything 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I pitty the fool who gives up a 3rd for Minshew.  You can probably get Minshew for a 6th, but then you have to ask the question, why would you?

People are really being foolish about the draft QBs as well.  Lawrence will go #1, Wilson will probably go top 5, Fields top 10 or just around there (11 or 12), Lance can probably be had with a trade back (think Jordan Love guys) and I'll lay money down that Jones either lasts into the 2nd or a team trades back into the late first to get the 5th year option.  People that think all the QBs are going to go in the top half of the draft are delusional.  Besides the fact that many of the teams in the first half either have their QB or will, your ignoring the fact there are other players at other positions who are considerably better than these guys.  Yes QBs get a premium but you dont pay filet mignon prices for a burger from 5 guys, regardless how good you think the 5 guys burger is.

I don't know, brother.  I would highly recommend Bears fans to watch the games Minshew started at the beginning of 2020.  I'm up through Week 5 and he really hasn't looked too bad.  If the Jags hadn't gotten the #1 pick, I'd be all for them rolling with Minshew and trading down out of the #2 pick to rebuild the rest of the team. 

Personally, my hope for the Bears in order of priority would be as follows:

1) Trade for Darnold if you can get him for maybe a 2nd and next year's 4th.

2) Draft Fields or Lance if they fall to #20 and keep Foles around.

3) Trade for Minshew and give him a try for a couple of years.

• Like 1

Minshew even as a solid backup is worth an early day 3 pick.  The unknown bumps him up a round imo.  If he can be had for a 4-5 I'd jump on it and see who's avaliable in round 1 or if we want to risk the possibility of waiting til next year we could try to wait for a reasonable trade up spot with our 2nd.

I'm very happy we didn't pay more than the Colts did.  We don't have their cap space to figure out if Wentz is a former MVP candidate or less mad Mitch.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think the betting money would have to be on Foles + whatever rookie they can add [I doubt any of the top 4].

That has to be the most likely at this point.

That's probably what's going to happen, yeah. 

45 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Unless they franchise him I dont see any way Tru agrees to stay another year under Nagy. 

I'd be shocked if they tagged Trubisky over Robinson. Might as well fire Pace before the draft if that happens.

38 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Pace has to have something up his sleeve. He isn't rolling with Darnold, Minshew, Foles or even Mac Jones. He's either going all in on a big name vet- wilson, Watson, Roethlisberger- or he's getting Lance, Fields or Wilson. His job depends on this. Fitzpatrick? Blah. He's going all in. In 2017 he knew he had to get a QB and he's going to do it again. For as much s*** as I give him, I hope to hell he gets it right

I'm not sure why'd you be convinced of that. Lance isn't a day one starter, either.

35 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

The way I’m looking at this is Indy won and Pace lost 

Technically, I guess you're right. But Wentz is still a gamble. And Pace didn't have as many chips as Ballard. 

I'm fine with how it shook out. Even in the unlikely event that Wentz wins the Super Bowl with the Colts, that wasn't happening with the Bears. 

23 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

If the Jets or Dolphins don't just take Wilson outright, someone will trade up and get one of those picks. Fields, depending on his pro day, probably doesn't get past the Eagles pick (whether the Eagles draft him, or not). Lance could fall, that's true--Jordan Love might be a good comp, as far as his draft status. Jones is most definitely going to be a first round pick. 

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That's probably what's going to happen, yeah. 

I'd be shocked if they tagged Trubisky over Robinson. Might as well fire Pace before the draft if that happens.

I'm not sure why'd you be convinced of that. Lance isn't a day one starter, either.

Technically, I guess you're right. But Wentz is still a gamble. And Pace didn't have as many chips as Ballard. 

I'm fine with how it shook out. Even in the unlikely event that Wentz wins the Super Bowl with the Colts, that wasn't happening with the Bears. 

If the Jets or Dolphins don't just take Wilson outright, someone will trade up and get one of those picks. Fields, depending on his pro day, probably doesn't get past the Eagles pick (whether the Eagles draft him, or not). Lance could fall, that's true--Jordan Love might be a good comp, as far as his draft status. Jones is most definitely going to be a first round pick. 

I'm convinced of it because if they go into 2021 with Foles & Jones, Fitzpatrick & Jones, Minshew & Jones, etc they're going to win 6 games and he's going to get himself fired. He doesn't give a damn about the state of the franchise in 2022 and beyond if he gets fired. He knows they have to win NOW. That's why I'm convinced. Lance would be my 3rd choice between QB2-4 but if he shows promise in OTA's, TC or even games they will sell George on him being ready to go in 2022 with a year of learning the pro game + talk him up on what he shows in the film room and practice

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/players-react-carson-wentz-trade-philadelphia-eagles-indianapolis-colts

Look at the reactions from the colts players.  They know they got a good QB.  A QB with a world of talent.  Colts won. Pace lost.  

Pace was never really interested or engaged in trade talks according to reports from highly respected guys like Jay Glazer and Albert Breer so not sure why people are saying this lol.

I guess you can say he lost out on Wentz "potentially" reviving his career and leading the Bears to glory...ya I'm going to say that would be a long shot...

I think it's safe to say that Pace did the right thing but as always only time will tell

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm convinced of it because if they go into 2021 with Foles & Jones, Fitzpatrick & Jones, Minshew & Jones, etc they're going to win 6 games and he's going to get himself fired. He doesn't give a damn about the state of the franchise in 2022 and beyond if he gets fired. He knows they have to win NOW. That's why I'm convinced. Lance would be my 3rd choice between QB2-4 but if he shows promise in OTA's, TC or even games they will sell George on him being ready to go in 2022 with a year of learning the pro game + talk him up on what he shows in the film room and practice

That's an excellent point.  A GM on a very hot seat doesn't think like fans do.