Future QB Discussion

G08

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Watson:  Don't have the ammo and would be a bad investment since we would have nothing left to use to build around him. 

Stafford: Too expensive.

Jimmy G - Would be a decent stop-gap but his cap hit next year would be 25.4M and that's way too pricey for a player of skill level (or lack thereof).  

Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields are gone in the top-10.  

• 01) JAX = Lawrence
  • 02) NYJ = Watson/Wilson/Fields
  • 03) MIA = Tua/Watson
  • 04) ATL = Ryan
  • 05) CIN = Burrows
  • 06) PHI = Hurts
  • 07) DET = Watson/Wilson/Fields
  • 08) CAR = Watson/Lance/Stafford/Other
  • 09) DEN = Watson/Lance/Stafford/Other
  • 10) DAL = Prescott 
  • 11) NYG = D. Jones
  • 12) SF     = Watson/Stafford/Jimmy G/Other
  • 13) LAC  = Herbert
  • 14) MIN = Cousins
  • 15) NEP = Watson/Stafford/Jimmy G/Mac Jones/Other (Caserio has strong ties with the NEP)
  • 16) ARI = Murray
  • 17) LVR = Carr
  • 18) MIA = Non-QB
  • 19) WFT = Mac Jones/Stafford/Jimmy G

***Worth noting: If Dak hits free agency then that throws a wrench into everything. 

20) CHI = We don't have the ammo to get Watson, Stafford, or Dak and are too low in the draft order to have a realistic shot at Mac, especially with Washington sitting right in front of us. 
So we either;

• A) Trade up to 15th or 12th spot to get Mac. 
  • B) Take a reach on Trask (depending on they feel about him--God I hope not).
  • C) Stand pat and go OT (or EDGE) in the 1st and see if Trask is still there in the 2nd. Or trade up in the 2nd to get Trask (again, depending on they feel about him).

I could see option A happening, but at this point I'm leaning more towards option C. 

I've actually thought about signing Jameis Winston as our QB to compete with Nick Foles and using our draft picks to shore up the WR and OT spots. Maybe draft a Kellen Mond in round 4 if he drops there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

The franchise tag is SUPPOSED to be a good faith maneuver by a team. Now, we all know that this premise has been tested, and stretched, but if Jerry were to franchise Dak, then try to trade him...it would be a really nasty thing and a very big deal. And I'm not at all certain he could get away with it. And...yet again, the Lions aren't trading Stafford to the Bears. They'll trade him to an AFC team, most likely Indy. How everything shakes out after that...hard to say. 

I didn't include Dak, I only mentioned him as a possibility to hit free agency. And I didn't say the Lions would trade Stafford to the Bears. That wasn't the point of my post. 

Dak's injury turned out to be a blessing in disguise for both sides in a good way.  For the FO, Dak's injury can now be used as leverage in negotiations, and the same for any team if he were to hit free agency.  For Dak, the Cowboys got the unfortunate chance to see what their offense looks like under another QB and it made Dak look really good.  

All that did was make it easier for them to decide whether to extend Dak to a long-term deal or let him go to altogether, and I'm not betting on the latter happening at all. 

FA Tag is generally not a good faith move either.  It's the opposite because your holding a player hostage against their will and it's telling the players the FO doesn't believe you are worth a long-term deal yet which is part of the reason why players hate the tag.  

In Dak's situation another tag doesn't make any sense. There's no way he would be happy about it.  Especially coming off an injury because if he gets injured again in 2021 then he's going to lose alot of leverage and alot of money in free agency in 2022.  

• Like 2

Would you trade #20 and #52, for #14 (Mac Jones) and #90?

Logic is that Pace would want to leapfrog New England who picks at #15.

Mac Jones, #83, #90 would be our only picks in the top 46.

I like him a hell of a lot more in round 2, or a trade down from 20.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I've actually thought about signing Jameis Winston as our QB to compete with Nick Foles and using our draft picks to shore up the WR and OT spots. Maybe draft a Kellen Mond in round 4 if he drops there.

Haven't seen much of Mond. 

I don't want anything to do with Winston But I was going to suggest Newman in later rounds....ironically I think he's a spitting image of Winston.

I'm getting to the point that unless we have a chance at Mac then I would be fine with building the OL and getting some weapons on offense for the next QB or even go EDGE. But I don't think Pace is going to be thinking that way. 

14 minutes ago, G08 said:

Looking at the Rich draft scale I would do it.  (and what I can very well see happening -- my prediction)

#20 is worth 269 pts + #52 is worth 109 pts = 378 pts

#14 is worth 325 pts

That's a 53 pts difference which is coincidentally the same margin of difference between #14 and #20.  Getting #90 would be a very good deal for us. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, G08 said:

Yes. Addressing QB is the most important priority.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, G08 said:

I hate Winston but I said last offseason he was the best option for a reasonable price. Nagys conservative playcalling will limit the INTs and he has thr arm to hit any level, and clearly doesnt lack confidence (even if he cant spell it). 

7 hours ago, G08 said:

If that is who Nagy wants, then yes. Let him have his guy and dont mortgage future picks to do it  I'll take it. I'm not overly enamored with him but if that's who Pace and Nagy feel is the guy then go for him. 

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Dak's injury turned out to be a blessing in disguise for both sides in a good way.  For the FO, Dak's injury can now be used as leverage in negotiations, and the same for any team if he were to hit free agency.  For Dak, the Cowboys got the unfortunate chance to see what their offense looks like under another QB and it made Dak look really good.  

This is a point I really agree with. If he shows he is healing well they might get a deal done because he showed how much better the team was with him over another starter (low end but still, they weren't throwing a 6th round rookie out there).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I hate Winston but I said last offseason he was the best option for a reasonable price. Nagys conservative playcalling will limit the INTs and he has thr arm to hit any level, and clearly doesnt lack confidence (even if he cant spell it). 

I hate him too but in his 5 NFL seasons as a starter he has accomplished 4 statistical achievements that no Chicago Bears QB has done in the history of the franchise.

Plus Pace can use him as his "smokescreen" before he trades up for Mac Jones (who then sits for a year, buying Pace/Nagy another year).

Edited by G08

9 hours ago, Sugashane said:

That's a fair point.  Nagy's system is the exact opposite of Arians and that would limit his mistakes.  It might not be very effective but manageable.  

• Like 1