Future QB Discussion

G08

8 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

ok, i know watson is unlikely - but i'm bored AF at work. do you believe this would be an understandable trade, or too much of a fan pipe dream

Houston Receives

2021, 2022, 2023 1st round pick

Kyle Fuller

Akiem Hicks

Anthony Miller

Chicago Receives

Deshaun Watson

JJ Watt

Houston gets 3 firsts (obviously), and are able to restock with talent - Fuller and Miller are under 30 years old, and Hicks still definitely a player. The biggest thing we can't offer is a young qb or top pick to get one. however, with 4 first rounders in 2022-2023, Hou puts itself in prime position to get a top guy in 2022 draft. hopefully a couple pro bowl/all pro type guys will help cover what we can't provide. 

Chicago gets Watson (obvi), is able to clear some cap space with the contracts of fuller and hicks coming off. JJ has a year left on his contract, and is a little more expensive than Hicks, but would help replace him and chicago would put him closer to his family in WI and his wife currently plays for the Chicago Red Stars (women's pro soccer). 

I don’t think that does it.

ive been thinking that it would take:

2021:  1st round, 2nd round

2022: 1st round, 3rd round

2023: 1st round

Jaylon Johnson

...and I’m not sure I’d be comfortable doing that.  That’s a lot, but that’s what they’d have to do in order to compete with what the Jets and Dolphins have to offer.  And honestly idk if that will even get it done.

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Just a warning, If our camp battle is Foles vs Jimmy G I am going to be flame throwing Pace the entire summer.

I'll be adding all the fuel I can to help you.

7 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I don’t think that does it.

ive been thinking that it would take:

2021:  1st round, 2nd round

2022: 1st round, 3rd round

2023: 1st round

Jaylon Johnson

...and I’m not sure I’d be comfortable doing that.  That’s a lot, but that’s what they’d have to do in order to compete with what the Jets and Dolphins have to offer.  And honestly idk if that will even get it done.

We can always add Nagy to sweeten the deal, you know?

Summarizing my thoughts on Jameis Winston:

• Young: just turned 27
  • Experienced in a pro-style offense: 27 starts in college, 70 in the NFL
  • Thick/sturdy QB in the pocket: 6036, 231 lbs
  • Aggressive mindset: career 7.7 YPA, 5109 yards/33 TD/8.2 YPA season under his belt
  • Should come relatively cheap: last contract was 1 year, $1.1M with $3.4M available through incentives

His acquisition would force a true competition between Nick Foles and himself. The QB we draft will rightfully be QB3 and can focus on developing: learning the system, cleaning up mechanics, utilizing the scout team offense to test out throws and windows that will and won't work in the NFL.

All things considered, this is the best move IMO. You get a free bite at the apple with Winston, if he sucks you have Foles to hopefully save you. If HE sucks then you pull the ripcord and pray the rookie can save your job/the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Summarizing my thoughts on Jameis Winston:

• Young: just turned 27
  • Experienced in a pro-style offense: 27 starts in college, 70 in the NFL
  • Thick/sturdy QB in the pocket: 6036, 231 lbs
  • Aggressive mindset: career 7.7 YPA, 5109 yards/33 TD/8.2 YPA season under his belt
  • Should come relatively cheap: last contract was 1 year, $1.1M with $3.4M available through incentives

His acquisition would force a true competition between Nick Foles and himself. The QB we draft will rightfully be QB3 and can focus on developing: learning the system, cleaning up mechanics, utilizing the scout team offense to test out throws and windows that will and won't work in the NFL.

All things considered, this is the best move IMO. You get a free bite at the apple with Winston, if he sucks you have Foles to hopefully save you. If HE sucks then you pull the ripcord and pray the rookie can save your job/the season.

I read something from Brad Biggs not long ago saying that he heard from an insider that Winston is not an option for Bears due to off field concerns. Take it for what it's worth but Biggs is right more often than not.

Plus Winston is likely to get re-signed in NO anyway. They aren't going to roll with Taysom Hill as their QB1.

Again take this fwiw, but someone said they lip read Brees talking to Winston on the sideline after the loss to the Bucs in playoffs saying something to the effect of "this is your team now"

Aside from that I'm not high on the guy. He's too erratic and turnover prone and didn't get the Bucs anywhere with basically the same roster that Brady now has. What makes people think he will be any better with Bears ?

Edited by topwop1

15 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Just a warning, If our camp battle is Foles vs Jimmy G I am going to be flame throwing Pace the entire summer.

If that's the case then you should probably just quit being a Bears fan

Just my opinion but I don't think there's going to be any camp battle involving Foles and another vet.

If anything it should be Foles vs a rookie..otherwise dump Foles and sign a better veteran and still draft a rookie QB..

Barring the Bears trading for a top QB like Watson or Stafford they should be drafting a QB at some point this year

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I read something from Brad Biggs not long ago saying that he heard from an insider that Winston is not an option for Bears due to off field concerns. Take it for what it's worth but Biggs is right more often than not.

Plus Winston is likely to get re-signed in NO anyway. They aren't going to roll with Taysom Hill as their QB1.

Again take this fwiw, but someone said they lip read Brees talking to Winston on the sideline after the loss to the Bucs in playoffs saying something to the effect of "this is your team now"

Aside from that I'm not high on the guy. He's too erratic and turnover prone and didn't get the Bucs anywhere with basically the same roster that Brady now has. What makes people think he will be any better with Bears ?

This is the latest from Biggs:

Is Jameis Winston a viable option at QB next season? — @ccjohnst

I don’t know if he’s a realistic option because most reports indicate the New Orleans Saints are motivated to re-sign him. If Drew Brees winds up retiring, figure Winston views the Saints and coach Sean Payton as his best opportunity. But go ahead and lump Winston into the group of quarterbacks the Bears should consider.

28 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Why even mess around with Winston? He's not a long-term solution. The Bears should be trying to address the position for the long-term, not rolling the dice on re-treads.

They should be, but who is that QB? Garoppolo, Carr, Foles, etc aren't those guys. The best option would be a rookie, but they unfortunately won meaningless games late and now all 4 will be gone with tier 2 in the wings.

34 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Why even mess around with Winston? He's not a long-term solution. The Bears should be trying to address the position for the long-term, not rolling the dice on re-treads.

Free bite at the apple, gives you an option to trade Foles to a contender if needed, allows you to let your rookie QB sit as QB3 with little-to-no chance to start, lets you ostensibly save draft picks to use for upgrades at current holes, etc.

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

They should be, but who is that QB? Garoppolo, Carr, Foles, etc aren't those guys. The best option would be a rookie, but they unfortunately won meaningless games late and now all 4 will be gone with tier 2 in the wings.

Eh, we made the playoffs. That's one of my "goals" as a fan every season, even if we fell ***-backwards into it.

9th time in 31 years bro.