Future QB Discussion

G08

ok, i know watson is unlikely - but i'm bored AF at work. do you believe this would be an understandable trade, or too much of a fan pipe dream

Houston Receives

2021, 2022, 2023 1st round pick

Kyle Fuller

Akiem Hicks

Anthony Miller

Chicago Receives

Deshaun Watson

JJ Watt

Houston gets 3 firsts (obviously), and are able to restock with talent - Fuller and Miller are under 30 years old, and Hicks still definitely a player. The biggest thing we can't offer is a young qb or top pick to get one. however, with 4 first rounders in 2022-2023, Hou puts itself in prime position to get a top guy in 2022 draft. hopefully a couple pro bowl/all pro type guys will help cover what we can't provide. 

Chicago gets Watson (obvi), is able to clear some cap space with the contracts of fuller and hicks coming off. JJ has a year left on his contract, and is a little more expensive than Hicks, but would help replace him and chicago would put him closer to his family in WI and his wife currently plays for the Chicago Red Stars (women's pro soccer). 

15 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

ok, i know watson is unlikely - but i'm bored AF at work. do you believe this would be an understandable trade, or too much of a fan pipe dream

Houston Receives

2021, 2022, 2023 1st round pick

Kyle Fuller

Akiem Hicks

Anthony Miller

Chicago Receives

Deshaun Watson

JJ Watt

Houston gets 3 firsts (obviously), and are able to restock with talent - Fuller and Miller are under 30 years old, and Hicks still definitely a player. The biggest thing we can't offer is a young qb or top pick to get one. however, with 4 first rounders in 2022-2023, Hou puts itself in prime position to get a top guy in 2022 draft. hopefully a couple pro bowl/all pro type guys will help cover what we can't provide. 

Chicago gets Watson (obvi), is able to clear some cap space with the contracts of fuller and hicks coming off. JJ has a year left on his contract, and is a little more expensive than Hicks, but would help replace him and chicago would put him closer to his family in WI and his wife currently plays for the Chicago Red Stars (women's pro soccer). 

I think that would get it done, but it's too rich for my blood.  I think we have to shed Hicks contract. Miller could go but Fulller puts it over the top for me (and I would be OK trading him, but not with all those 1sts)

@HuskieBear Never mind Watt, I don't even think that would be enough for Watson.  The Patriots got 3 1's and a 2 for Jim Plunkett 40 years ago. I gotta believe Watson is worth at least that much.  

I can't see a new GM shipping the two faces of franchise without a chance to get a replacement this year. 

Besides, although Watt is a great player he is also going ot be 32 years old in a couple of months and pass rushers declines are usually rapid. 

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think that would get it done, but it's too rich for my blood.  I think we have to shed Hicks contract. Miller could go but Fulller puts it over the top for me (and I would be OK trading him, but not with all those 1sts)

its definitely a rough outline. I agree about kyle, but we have to do something that separates us from the CAR, SF, MIA, NYJ crowd that can offer a young qb (Darnold, Tua) and/or high draft pick. Fuller isn't worth 20 million, and if we are getting the sense an extention wouldn't be as beneficial, he could be a chip. he's young enough that Hou might look at it as receiving some major talent. We can definitely do other pieces going back and forth, like when Oak threw in a 2nd. 

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

@HuskieBear Never mind Watt, I don't even think that would be enough for Watson.  The Patriots got 3 1's and a 2 for Jim Plunkett 40 years ago. I gotta believe Watson is worth at least that much.  

I can't see a new GM shipping the two faces of franchise without a chance to get a replacement this year. 

Besides, although Watt is a great player he is also going ot be 32 years old in a couple of months and pass rushers declines are usually rapid. 

i agree it would be tough, but it would give HOU a clean break to completely reset - it honestly can't get worse for them. i put hicks in the trade because i honestly believe hicks > watt, currently and in the next few years. Hicks might be a better return then seeing watt potentially leave and only getting a 3rd in 2023 for him. 

Also, lets not put a 40 year old trade as a comparison. a better one would be Cutler - 2 1sts and a 3rd - for a 25 year old pro bowl qb. watson is better, which pushes that 3rd to a first, and includes two pro bowlers from a year ago. plus we throw in a 2nd round pick that has ~loads~ of potential

Just now, WindyCity said:

No one wants veteran players making real money. Especially a rebuilding team.

i agree - but they all only have a year left on their deal - maybe it gives houston a chance to see how they do for the year and gives them a leg up on extending them if they want

53 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Mac Jones

Gardner Minshew

Jimmy G

I still think we end up with one or two of the following.

Minshew makes sense... DeFilippo has worked with him and Nagy liked him in that draft class.

7 hours ago, G08 said:

I hate him too but in his 5 NFL seasons as a starter he has accomplished 4 statistical achievements that no Chicago Bears QB has done in the history of the franchise.

Plus Pace can use him as his "smokescreen" before he trades up for Mac Jones (who then sits for a year, buying Pace/Nagy another year).

Yep. Exactly my argument.

3 years, $45 mil deal incoming!!!

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Minshew makes sense... DeFilippo has worked with him and Nagy liked him in that draft class.

The only way I would want Minshew is if we traded Foles back to Jax in the deal and if it didn't cost more than a mid round pick to do so.

Just my two cents but it would be awfully weird to have both again on the same roster and IMO Jags could use a veteran like Foles to help bring Trevor Lawrence along+ they have the cap space for it. 

Also if Bears traded for Minshew and got rid of Foles I would still want them to take a QB somewhere in the first two rounds. Minshew is not some savior

29 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

The only way I would want Minshew is if we traded Foles back to Jax in the deal and if it didn't cost more than a mid round pick to do so.

Just my two cents but it would be awfully weird to have both again on the same roster and IMO Jags could use a veteran like Foles to help bring Trevor Lawrence along+ they have the cap space for it. 

Also if Bears traded for Minshew and got rid of Foles I would still want them to take a QB somewhere in the first two rounds. Minshew is not some savior

Maybe flip them two of our compensatory 6th round picks and get it done.

This is going to be such a bizarre off-season, isn't it?