Future QB Discussion

G08

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If they have a rookie QB who shows promise they would be idiotic to blow it up and disrupt that. Even more so considering what they likely gave up to get him and how that effects the GM search if Pace is fired.

Gardner Minshew doesn’t get them over the hump and provides 0 future.

A rookie QB likely doesn’t get them over the hump, but provides a ton of future.

Unless that rookie sucks...then your firing your GM/HC and lumbering the new GM/HC with that QB...exactly what happened with Nagy and it is not a good position to be in...I would much rather take a vet and build the rest of the team...then if the worst comes to the worst you have a strong team that you can bring in a GM/HC/QB all as the same time...which makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Unless that rookie sucks...then your firing your GM/HC and lumbering the new GM/HC with that QB...exactly what happened with Nagy and it is not a good position to be in...I would much rather take a vet and build the rest of the team...then if the worst comes to the worst you have a strong team that you can bring in a GM/HC/QB all as the same time...which makes sense.

They then just have a back up that it's not going to count a ton vs the cap then, assuming we don't trade up significantly. Tru was the 2nd overall pick and never counted Mitch against the cap (5, 6.5, 7.9, 9).

So only 2 years of Foles and the dead cap to release him before the 3rd will essentially cost the same as what Tru did over 4 years,  so any vet that likely can start will be more expensive and cumbersome than a rookie imo, big trade ups aside. 

39 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

If your job was not on the line.

The rookie QB can play poorly and will still buy them more time for the sake of development. George doesn't want to fire them and will find any excuse to keep them and a rookie QB is a great excuse.

There is tremendous risk with a lame veteran. What happens if they go 9-8 and miss the playoffs with Jimmy G/Gardner Minshew, they are more than likely fired.

Mike, I am 100% on board with the patient approach at QB and building out the team. Long term that is the best way to go and not forcing a QB pick.

Unfortunately, that is not what guys with poor job security are going to do. We already have reports that they are going to be "big players" in the QB market.  They have no incentive to be patient. They have no reason to take a slower more measured approach.

This was always the risk of keeping desperate men in their jobs.

My personal approach

-Find a reasonable bridge QB, not named Foles who is a bag of hot trash, someone watchable for fans.

-Stockpile 2022 draft picks through trade downs and comp picks

-Invest in the OL, U TE, young defenders to replace big contracts

Run into 2022 with the picks and cap space to really take a swing at QB.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I would love to see Minshew in Chicago.   That at least would be extremely entertaining and cost little to nothing.  

Would he really cost little to nothing? I'd think the Jags would want a mid rounder. Keep in mind the Bears traded two 4's in about a month span last spring for Nick Foles and Trevis Gipson

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

My personal approach

-Find a reasonable bridge QB, not named Foles who is a bag of hot trash, someone watchable for fans.

-Stockpile 2022 draft picks through trade downs and comp picks

-Invest in the OL, U TE, young defenders to replace big contracts

Run into 2022 with the picks and cap space to really take a swing at QB.

And ideally do so with a new GM

50 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Would he really cost little to nothing? I'd think the Jags would want a mid rounder. Keep in mind the Bears traded two 4's in about a month span last spring for Nick Foles and Trevis Gipson

Mid rounder is little to nothing.   Bears don't have a 4th though you are right.

They are obviously drafting the Clemson QB to be the guy.  Not sure what other teams would be wanting Minshew.   

It would be funny to have Foles lose his job twice to this clown.  And the guy is just crazy and funny because of it. 

But Foles has last laugh because he rode a hot streak in playoffs to more money with both teams than Minshew is ever likely to see.

I haven't really watched him play but his TD to INT rate is actually really good.  His main problem seems to be fumbles and staying healthy.     

If Bears acquire Minshew they going to split reps and have QB competition again?   

This is all madness.  Just do whatever.   Just don't sell farm for someone in desperation is all I ask.

Just now, dll2000 said:

Mid rounder is little to nothing.   Bears don't have a 4th though you are right.

They are obviously drafting the Clemson QB to be the guy.  Not sure what other teams would be wanting Minshew.   

It would be funny to have Foles lose his job twice to this clown.  And the guy is just crazy and funny because of it. 

But Foles has last laugh because he rode a hot streak in playoffs to more money with both teams than Minshew is ever likely to see.

I haven't really watched him play but his TD to INT rate is actually really good.  His main problem seems to be fumbles and staying healthy.     

If Bears acquire Minshew they going to split reps and have QB competition again?   

This is all madness.  Just do whatever.   Just don't sell farm for someone in desperation is all I ask.

The only way Pace isn't selling the farm is if he cannot find a buyer.

The sign is up.

There is nothing keeping Nagy and Pace from going scorched earth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The only way Pace isn't selling the farm is if he cannot find a buyer.

The sign is up.

There is nothing keeping Nagy and Pace from going scorched earth.

Watson or Stafford?   Players themselves would probably veto it.   I wouldn't want to come here were I them.   

Play for a lame duck coach and GM after they give away farm for you?  Your career is basically over at city would hate you in short order for losing here after a big trade.  May as well stay with your current team.   They are in better more stable situation for next 4 years.

Rodgers isn't being traded to Bears and dead money is too high for GB to trade him unless he demands it.

Big trade would have to be a rookie who has no choice.  

A doable trade would be for a 2nd tier veteran like Carr/Minshew.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Watson or Stafford?   Players themselves would probably veto it.   I wouldn't want to come here were I them.   

Play for a lame duck coach and GM after they give away farm for you?  Your career is basically over at city would hate you in short order for losing here after a big trade.  May as well stay with your current team.   They are in better more stable situation for next 4 years.

Rodgers isn't being traded to Bears and dead money is too high for GB to trade him unless he demands it.

Big trade would have to be a rookie who has no choice.  

A doable trade would be for a 2nd tier veteran like Carr/Minshew.

Carr isn't 2nd tier. He is costing you a 1st round pick.