Future QB Discussion

G08

38 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I'll be shocked if Fields ends up being the #2 QB this draft.... If the jets screw this up, I'm on the phone trying to go up and get Wilson. You can't fix a slow processor.

I think Wilson will go outside the top-5 but probably doesn't get past Carolina at 8.

He has some shoulder concerns in his throwing arm in which he had surgery and that shouldn't be taken lightly with a QB.

Also Fields has been the #2 for most of the past year and outside a couple bad games he hasn't really done anything to lose that spot IMO.

I guess it'll come down to a teams preference but I still believe he'll be the next to go after Lawrence

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Jamie Newman apparently had a good day at the Senior Bowl.

We need some of the 2nd and 3rd round QB guys to start flashing a bit.

Newman would be fine as a project but he's likely not ready to make a significant impact in his rookie year, especially after sitting out this past season

He will likely fall to the mid rounds for that reasons so I'd be fine with taking him but they still need someone to start right away that's better than Foles...

32 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

My issues with Minshew that go beyond the stats.

-His arm is pretty weak by NFL standards

-He can be really frantic in the pocket.

Arm strength is so overrated it is not even a top 5 indicator of a QB...even my that wouldn't say Minshew has a week arm...an average arm for a starter sure but not weak...

In terms of being frantic I am not so sure about that one either...he has shown he can take care of the ball, he can make plays with his legs and I feel with better talent around him he would be even more settled...

Minshew isn't the greatest QB in the world...but can he win us games? No doubt in my opinion and for me wins are the only thing that save Pace/Nagy...not a 7-9 with a rookie who looks decent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Arm strength is so overrated it is not even a top 5 indicator of a QB...even my that wouldn't say Minshew has a week arm...an average arm for a starter sure but not weak...

In terms of being frantic I am not so sure about that one either...he has shown he can take care of the ball, he can make plays with his legs and I feel with better talent around him he would be even more settled...

Minshew isn't the greatest QB in the world...but can he win us games? No doubt in my opinion and for me wins are the only thing that save Pace/Nagy...not a 7-9 with a rookie who looks decent.

George isn’t going to fire a regime that has found an even promising QB. He didn’t fire them after this year and they produced a cluster F at the position.

Edited by WindyCity

Minshew has 18 fumbles in 23 games. He is frantic in the pocket and jumps around like the ground is on fire when it collapses.

Arm strength isn’t the be all end all, but he is going to struggle in the crap weather, because his arm is on the weaker side of a starting QB.

I am fine with Minshew. He is better than Foles. You can likely get at least Mitch performance out of him, maybe a little more consistent with less flashes, and he is CHEAP.

Edited by WindyCity

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

George isn’t going to fire a regime that has found an even promising QB. He didn’t fire them after this year and they produced a cluster F at the position.

I disagree...I feel he knows we can't have a losing season and do nothing.

If we explore the trade market I would still give Gruden a call and ask about Carr. There is no loyalty in business but he should have a decent relationship with Pace after the haul we gave up for Mack. It is worth a try but then I would only offer this year´s 2nd and next year´s 3rd with the caveat it could go to a 2nd based on performance.

2 hours ago, malagabears said:

If we explore the trade market I would still give Gruden a call and ask about Carr. There is no loyalty in business but he should have a decent relationship with Pace after the haul we gave up for Mack. It is worth a try but then I would only offer this year´s 2nd and next year´s 3rd with the caveat it could go to a 2nd based on performance.

With the way Carr plays in the cold at least this move would guarantee the end of this FO 

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So now were to the point of talking about Gardner freakin Minshew? LMAO. What the hell is going on around here........

Minshew would be good for the sound bites and memes but aside from that he's not going to fix what has been ailing this team at the position for decades.

As someone said before he'd pretty much just be a cheap place holder QB. 

I like Minshew but Bears definitely need to aim higher because he's not saving jobs

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So now were to the point of talking about Gardner freakin Minshew? LMAO. What the hell is going on around here........

He is on the “better than Foles” list.

He would be option 8-9 on my list, but we have to be prepared that a quality option doesn’t materialize.

We have so many teams ahead of us in the draft order that we are the short stack when it comes to trades and drafting.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I disagree...I feel he knows we can't have a losing season and do nothing.

If they have a rookie QB who shows promise they would be idiotic to blow it up and disrupt that. Even more so considering what they likely gave up to get him and how that effects the GM search if Pace is fired.

Gardner Minshew doesn’t get them over the hump and provides 0 future.

A rookie QB likely doesn’t get them over the hump, but provides a ton of future.

Interesting to hear from a report that the Chicago Bears are one of Matthew Stafford's top-5 destinations for a trade.

That being said it's hard to envision Lions trading him within the division but it certainly wouldn't be the first time it happened in NFL history/pro sports. Bears just have to make the best offer.

IMO Stafford would be an excellent fit and legitimately have us contend for the division title.

Make it happen Pace!

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It’s kind of like when it’s close to bar close and you haven’t scored yet.  You gotta lower your standards some just to get someone home with you.

• Like 1