Future QB Discussion

G08

19 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

In the last two years sure...before that Wentz was highly productive to the point where there was no way the Eagles would have traded him.

So we are trading a 1st round pick, taking on 40 million in guaranteed money for a player we HOPE plays like he did 2 years ago?

That is like paying full price for a broken down car.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I hate the idea of Wentz.

1. Costs significant capital to acquire

2. Large contract, not in terms of QB salaries but in relation to Bears cap situation

3. Requires significant talent in front of him to thrive (his best years included a prime Ertz, a healthier Alshon Jeffery, top-10 OL)

4. We do not have the talent on offense to be able to hide him. He is going to have to shoulder the load.

5. Attitude. Remember how Chicago treated Jay Cutler? If Wentz doesn't succeed immediately, he's going to get crucified.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I hope it's the Bears. I wouldn't hate Wentz but I would for two 1's and a 3. I'd trade a 1 for Wentz and a 3 or something.

Who else needs a QB though? This has to come down to the Bears or Colts

You wouldn't think that either the Bears OR the Colts would be stupid enough to trade two firsts for Carson Wentz. 

Maybe, with any luck, this means the Bears will withdraw from negotiations. I don't want Wentz, but fully understand why Pace (desperate) would take that gamble.

They should be focused on getting the second or third pick. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

You wouldn't think that either the Bears OR the Colts would be stupid enough to trade two firsts for Carson Wentz. 

Maybe, with any luck, this means the Bears will withdraw from negotiations. I don't want Wentz, but fully understand why Pace (desperate) would take that gamble.

They should be focused on getting the second or third pick. 

It would be a lot easier to swallow giving up significant capital for a top rookie on a rookie deal than it would be for an expensive, flawed Wentz.

The only thing that could make a Wentz trade more palatable (but still not very palatable) is if the Eagles are taking Foles.

Edited by chisoxguy7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

It would be a lot easier to swallow giving up significant capital for a top rookie on a rookie deal than it would be for an expensive, flawed Wentz.

The only thing that could make a Wentz trade more palatable (but still not very palatable) is if the Eagles are taking Foles.

The Bears best hope is for Wilson or Fields to fall to 8-10. Going from 20 to 3-5 is doable but it's going to cost them A TON. Obviously it won't matter if either is a top 10 QB in the league but that's significant with them potentially losing Robinson & already having a weak OL

17 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The Bears best hope is for Wilson or Fields to fall to 8-10. Going from 20 to 3-5 is doable but it's going to cost them A TON. Obviously it won't matter if either is a top 10 QB in the league but that's significant with them potentially losing Robinson & already having a weak OL

It would cost a lot, to be sure. But when you consider the contracts coming off the books in the coming years, it will allow the Bears to be players in FA. If we acquire Wentz, we have less to spend and we still will be down picks.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

The more I think about it, the more I hate the idea of Wentz.

1. Costs significant capital to acquire

2. Large contract, not in terms of QB salaries but in relation to Bears cap situation

3. Requires significant talent in front of him to thrive (his best years included a prime Ertz, a healthier Alshon Jeffery, top-10 OL)

4. We do not have the talent on offense to be able to hide him. He is going to have to shoulder the load.

5. Attitude. Remember how Chicago treated Jay Cutler? If Wentz doesn't succeed immediately, he's going to get crucified.

This goes for any QB not just Wentz..

I keep hearing how Bears need to protect so and so QB in order to make him thrive 

Well yes that's true and goes without saying...it'd be the same for Watson too

I mean he has a pretty good OL protecting in Houston and a top LT in Tunsil and his RB and WRs from this past season were also no slouches 

The fact of the matter is that every great QB usually has a pretty good supporting cast around them

1 guy can't elevate a whole offense by himself 

Whoever the Bears get at QB they'll need to still work at surrounding that player with good quality players 

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

This goes for any QB not just Wentz..

1 guy can't elevate a whole offense by himself 

Patrick Mahomes begs to differ. The Chiefs are playing a 2nd string OL and Mahomes kept so many plays alive against the Bills a couple weeks ago.

There's a difference between QBs having the benefit of a stout OL and a QB who needs a stout OL

I think the Eagles are posturing and sending out these messages in the media to get teams to up their offer.

No team in their right mind is going to trade two firsts for Wentz. That's just utterly ridiculous.

1 is even a hard ask after the season he just had also considering his injury history and large contract

Eagles are out to lunch. Hope Pace is smart enough not to give in

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Patrick Mahomes begs to differ. The Chiefs are playing a 2nd string OL and Mahomes kept so many plays alive against the Bills a couple weeks ago.

There's a difference between QBs having the benefit of a stout OL and a QB who needs a stout OL

Not taking anything away from Mahomes ..he's a special player...but he also has the fastest and most dangerous WR in the NFL and the best TE at his disposal

And up until late last game Chiefs still had their #1 pick LT Fisher playing.. we'll see how he does tomorrow 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We knew this was coming when they made the idiotic decision to keep Pace. It just sucks that it is here.

I was hoping he would fall backwards into a draft pick but that was way too optimistic.

What’s the better alternative though, Windy? We can’t outbid MIA, NYJ, CAR or SF for Watson if he’s even made available. Carr if made available probably costs as much if not more than Stafford and probably needs a $10M pay bump right away. Garoppolo sucks. Jameis sucks. Minshew sucks. Darnold has less of a positive resume than Wentz and may not be available anyway. Newton is done. Dalton is just a guy. Fitzpatrick? A lame duck coaching staff and front office probably doesn’t have time to wait for a rookie to develop and might not have one fall to 20 anyway. I have doubts about how much of the future draft capital Pace will be allowed to dip into to make a move, especially for an unknown in the draft. We don’t have any ideal options, and Wentz at the right price may be the best realistic option we have. 

Pace shouldn’t be making this choice and we shouldn’t be in this position, but he is and we are. We can’t change that. All we can do is make the best we can with this underwhelming hand.

12 months ago had you been told you could have Wentz for a mid-1 and maybe a later pick would you have made that trade?