Future QB Discussion

G08

1 minute ago, GOGRIESE said:

His agent probably called as soon as the rumors spilled out. This isn't uncommon. 

"We would never trade you Tarik. Your name did come up, but you are a critical part of our plans."

"We are going to include another first rounder instead."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pool said:

Roll with what we got and draft a QB next year. I really don't care what they do so long as they don't mortgage the future to do it.

Pace and Nagy don’t have the rope to punt on 2021. I doubt a Wentz trade is a mortgage on the future. Even if it’s this and next year’s 2 that still leaves us with a 1 and 3 both years. The only deal out there that’s a full blown mortgage on the future would be for Watson. 

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Watkins has been disappointing ever since leaving Buffalo but he has talent and would likely be cheap.

Out of all those guys Will Fuller would be my choice but will probably be out of our price range

Would be fine with Agholor too if we end up with Wentz

I am also intrigued by Samuel and Westbrook

If they get Wentz though I think they'll try and convince or find a way to keep ARob then use a mid to late round pick to add some more speed besides Mooney

We’re getting Cohen’s speed back in 2021 as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Unfortunately, we are taking on a ton of salary in the Wentz deal. He's gonna have to take a huge pay cut.

2021 Cap hits:

Wentz: 34.7M

Cohen: 3.25M -- (loss of 2M cap space if traded)

Foles: 6.66M (gain of 850k if traded)

Robinson is gone.

Per a Yates tweet earlier today, the Wentz cap hits post-trade are:

2021: $25.4M
2022: $22M
2023: $25M 
2024: $26M

My bad - saw that someone else already commented to this after I posted. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

I’d be fine if the trade is 1, Foles and Cohen for him. I think the trade is inevitable so as much as I’d rather not have Wentz, Pace isn’t going to get outbid. And if we get out for just that when Pace would be willing to sacrifice so much Moreno it’s probably a W. Also would rather the trade be Cohen than a 3rd rounder 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nads786 said:

I can see them dragging this out for so long that other teams are forced to make trades for the Wentz's of the world effectively eliminating his trade prospects. 

I think Miami and the Jets are probably the best bets, teams who can wait and draft a QB only to trade him to the Texans. If this trade happens I bet it happens around trade time with either the Jets or Dolphins. 

If you're the Jaguars, I would do it as well. Trevor is a unknown, Watson is a sure bet. That would be a very good trade for both sides IMO.

I disagree with this.  While it's true that Watson is a sure bet, I think Trevor is a darn good bet, in spite of not being a sure thing at this point.  In addition to that, you would be getting Trevor on a rookie contract for the next five years, versus paying a huge contract to Watson.

Another big reason that nobody ever talks about is that the Texans are a division rival of the Jaguars.  They are in a position where they have a great QB and it looks like they will have to ship him out.  Just about anything they do is going to be a down grade for them.  If you are the Jaguars, why would you help them out of a jam by taking their malcontent QB off their hands AND THEN giving them a replacement with a rookie contract who could very well end up being just as good?  If you are the Jags, you just sit back and smile as your division rival destroys themselves.  Then you are the lone team in the division with an elite QB.

• Like 2

Wentz is imo a nightmare scenario for us. 

I'd literally rather have Foles, at least he can groom the next guy.... And that's before counting Cohen (who I wouldn't have resigned, but has returner value), or losing a first rounder too. 

The only bright side is that Pace and Nagy get fired after this season... Unfortunately, McCasky's lack of a spine and accountability this offseason has only exacerbated an already terrible situation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Keep in mind that his salary for 2022 is fully guaranteed (well, at least for right now). So if he sucks in 2021, you're stuck with him in 2022 most likely

True but I'm looking long term. New GM and HC are fully secured in their positions so they can let the dumpster fire burn in 2022 with Wentz and draft talent around him. Then they get their early pick for QB in 2023. I'm all for trying to fill the team with talent for rookie contract QBs, and when Wentz can be a post-June 1st cut to save $26mil. That can go a long way to extending young talent or attacking FA to support the new kid. 

2 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

If the silver lining is that we might suck bad enough that it won't hurt us next year, it might be a bad trade...

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they do with his contract, but there's a high likelihood that Wentz will prevent us from making meaningful improvements to the roster in free agency.

I think it is a bad trade, I'd rather stockpile young talent. 

If Wentz refuses to renegotiate I cant blame him either. Literally the only benefit would be hoping to spite the Eagles by doing so, but that's not worth tens of millions of dollars imo. 

Maybe Pace and Nagy make the deal work, but atm I feel they are desperate and lack an eye for the position. 

• Like 1