Future QB Discussion

G08

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Because he has a history of trading too much because he has #convcition.

Yeah, I wouldn't say Pace has never overpaid in a trade. I think "Pace has never overpaid by a lot" is more accurate. In the Trubisky deal he *overpaid* by the equivalent value of a 4th round pick, IIRC. 

14 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

That would be fine actually. 

Interesting to note that apparently some teams aren't valuing 2021 draft picks as much due to the pandemic year and having no combine etc. which is making it all the more tougher to evaluate these prospects 

That said I think Ryan Pace's situation is different in that he needs all the picks he can this year to help his team win.

Id be more inclined to accept a deal with Philly if it were something like the Bears 2021 & 2022 2nd round picks plus Anthony Miller and Nick Foles for Wentz and a pick

Kurt Warner was on Waddle and Silvy yesterday and said he wouldn't make a trade for Wentz. He said what made him great in 2017 was making plays off-script. That's something you can't rely on so Warner said he looks what what he knows he's getting. He's of the opinion Wentz is damaged goods, has concerns about his mechanics and wondered out loud if Wentz is the type of person that would improve in that area/take to coaching to improve in that area.

Long story short, why pay new car price for a used car with obvious dings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Kurt Warner was on Waddle and Silvy yesterday and said he wouldn't make a trade for Wentz. He said what made him great in 2017 was making plays off-script. That's something you can't rely on so Warner said he looks what what he knows he's getting. He's of the opinion Wentz is damaged goods, has concerns about his mechanics and wondered out loud if Wentz is the type of person that would improve in that area/take to coaching to improve in that area.

Long story short, why pay new car price for a used car with obvious dings.

That's exactly why I disagree with trading a 1st round pick for Wentz whether that's this year first or from future years. I don't think the gamble is worth that price

A 2nd round pick + some other assets seems way more of a reasonable price considering everything we know and have seen from Wentz

Sounds like Pace is taking a patient approach to this and not acting out of desperation which is good to see

I've watch clips of all his games from 2019 and 2020, I'm 5 games into 2018. Goal is to finish them all.

He has insane talent -- Jay Cutleresque throws and ability to extend plays -- but he misses layups quite a bit and stays in the pocket way too long, which causes him to get hit unnecessarily AND fumble / have the ball batted and picked off.

Long windup in his throwing motion as well. The talent is painfully obvious but this dude needs to be humbled, big time.

If we do acquire him, I sincerely hope Nagy sits him down and painfully details his expectations. I hope DeFilippo coaches him hard in every aspect of the position.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

What are people's realistic options at QB if Wentz doesn't happen?

The issue is the market is so thin and the Bears are at the back of the line in the draft.

I've been thinking about this...

A 2nd or 3rd for Sam Darnold (don't love it)

A 5th or 6th for Gardner Minshew

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

What are people's realistic options at QB if Wentz doesn't happen?

The issue is the market is so thin and the Bears are at the back of the line in the draft.

My opinion is be patient. Don't give up more than you feel is fair for Wentz and if doesn't work out then so be it

I don't think Wentz should be viewed as some QB savior for this team. The guy has a over average talent but still a few things would need to go right for him to pan out and the team will be cash strapped if that happens

There will be other options available

I don't mind the idea of trading a mid round pick for Minshew and then drafting a QB/OT combo in no particular order in the first 2 rounds...

40 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Now there's a guy who I would trade 3 first round picks for no question

Get it done Pace!

I would agree, but he has a 39 mil dead cap and a 32 mil cap hit in 2021.

Not sure how either Seattle or Bears could do it.   I guess there must be a way.

At least he is used to playing without a good O line. 

46 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Now there's a guy who I would trade 3 first round picks for no question

Get it done Pace!

I don't think it goes anywhere but I would give up at least 2 FRP's for him. He will be 33 this year but I think he has 4 years left in the tank, maybe more. His CAP hits for 2021/22/23 are 19M, 19M, and 21M. The 13M pro-rated signing bonus is eaten by Seattle.

Edited by malagabears