Future QB Discussion

G08

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Not wanting to dumb down the offense... in Chicago... that is going to be an issue.

If they can find a way to meld what we were doing at the end of the season with Trubisky with Nagy's bread-and-butter, that could (heavy emphasis on the word 'could') be dynamic.

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

If they can find a way to meld what we were doing at the end of the season with Trubisky with Nagy's bread-and-butter, that could (heavy emphasis on the word 'could') be dynamic.

The issue is the OL is not good enough to run either against good defenses. The entire Shannahan style is dependent on you being able to run the ball against everyone and then work the play action and boot game. If your OL is getting punked up front then the entire thing crumbles. 

Nagy's shotgun all day no run game system also requires an OL upgrade, but pass pro specficially.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The issue is the OL is not good enough to run either against good defenses. The entire Shannahan style is dependent on you being able to run the ball against everyone and then work the play action and boot game. If your OL is getting punked up front then the entire thing crumbles. 

Nagy's shotgun all day no run game system also requires an OL upgrade, but pass pro specficially.

I like our interior quite a bit. Tackles need to be upgraded. 

Shoot, the Buccaneers did it in one off-season and this is a deep draft at OT. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, G08 said:

I like our interior quite a bit. Tackles need to be upgraded. 

Shoot, the Buccaneers did it in one off-season and this is a deep draft at OT. 

I think they can. The Bucs really added 1 awesome piece in Wirfs and the line looked much better.

I just do not know how we are going to address QB and add an impact OT in the draft. I wish I saw a good option that was not going to cost a 1.

I do think that an interior of Daniels, Mustipher and Whitehair, while not dominant, will be the best interior since we had Long and Sitton at the OG spots.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think they can. The Bucs really added 1 awesome piece in Wirfs and the line looked much better.

I just do not know how we are going to address QB and add an impact OT in the draft. I wish I saw a good option that was not going to cost a 1.

I do think that an interior of Daniels, Mustipher and Whitehair, while not dominant, will be the best interior since we had Long and Sitton at the OG spots.

Pace is going to have to step up to the plate. Unsubstantiated rumor is he offered two second round picks, maybe he'll flip that into a 2022 first round pick. It'll boil down to how badly he wants Wentz and where Ballard draws the line.

I will say, I did not hate Germain Ifedi at RT last season.

Pace is going to have to step up to the plate. Unsubstantiated rumor is he offered two second round picks, maybe he'll flip that into a 2022 first round pick. It'll boil down to how badly he wants Wentz and where Ballard draws the line.

Either of those options would be very cool. I'd prefer the two seconds. If Ballard really wants Wentz, he can easily outbid Pace, though. His team is already pretty loaded.

I will say, I did not hate Germain Ifedi at RT last season.

He was alright, for sure. 

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Won't ever be the same athlete he was in 2017

Takes a ton of hits so he plays slower/less athletic than he is as the season progresses

Selective with who he talks to in the locker room

Arrogant and defensive in the film room (Carson you need to improve at this. "No I don't." Ok you're right Carson)

Hates certain routes and will refuse to throw them (drag routes was the example)

Stubborn with not wanting to "dumb down the offense" even if the rest of the offense is struggling

This could all be true but I mean how reliable is the source on this info? 

Though I will say is that the things that scare me about Wentz aside from injury history are the rumors about his minimal likability among his teammates outside of a select few players and his overall lack of leadership. He sounds eerily like... dare I say....Jay...Cutler???  And we all know how that worked out don't we...

I honestly think he's better off in Indy than Chicago.  They have a better OL and he'll be going into a more stable environment with way less pressure to perform off the bat. 

Chicago is pretty much like Philly when it comes to fan base and expectations so if he hated playing over there I don't see how he will thrive in Chicago.

Personally I think it's best for Pace & Nagy to move on from these trade talks and explore another avenue

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Though I will say is that the things that scare me about Wentz aside from injury history are the rumors about his minimal likability among his teammates outside of a select few players and his overall lack of leadership. He sounds eerily like... dare I say....Jay...Cutler???  And we all know how that worked out don't we...

I honestly think he's better off in Indy than Chicago.  They have a better OL and he'll be going into a more stable environment with way less pressure to perform off the bat. 

Chicago is pretty much like Philly when it comes to fan base and expectations so if he hated playing over there I don't see how he will thrive in Chicago.

Personally I think it's best for Pace & Nagy to move on from these trade talks and explore another avenue

I said it tongue-in-cheek in another post, but he very well could be a baptized Jay Cutler.

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

this whole thing was said pretty much verbatim on the hoge and jahns podcast

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Really dated yourself there man. lol

Nice! Now twice in one page. Rare occurrence!

You know AOL was the internet for awhile like Google, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are now.

AOL and Netscape browser and then Yahoo.

32 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Really dated yourself there man. lol

Nice! Now twice in one page. Rare occurrence!

Here is some 80's nostalgia:

My first computer was a Commodore 64 and my favorite game on it was Dr. J and Larry Bird One on One.   

Girls made me mix tapes recorded from radio on boom boxes or stereo's in high school.  It was a painstaking process. 

Many of my friends owned pagers in HS at one time.

On weekends we often drove around hoping to find some girls hanging out in a fast food parking lot somewhere or run into someone who knew of a party to go to.  Barring that we would get in a fight or something.  There were no cell phones for instant communication.

I used a big neck roll in football in high school and tackled mostly with my face/forehead.  (I predict a joke here).  

For awhile if you didn't do a special tight roll at bottom of your blue jeans you were uncool.

Everybody saw Top Gun and immediately wanted to be a fighter pilot.

Kids talked on corded phones with their voice for hours and hours.   A phone with a conference call button was epitome of high tech cool.

Prior to caller ID coming out, funnest thing you could do in grade school was stay night at a friends and make prank calls.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You know AOL was the internet for awhile like Google, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are now.

AOL and Netscape browser and then Yahoo.

Here is some 80's nostalgia:

My first computer was a Commodore 64 and my favorite game on it was Dr. J and Larry Bird One on One.   

Girls made me mix tapes recorded from radio on boom boxes or stereo's in high school.  It was a painstaking process. 

Many of my friends owned pagers in HS at one time.

On weekends we often drove around hoping to find some girls hanging out in a fast food parking lot somewhere or run into someone who knew of a party to go to.  Barring that we would get in a fight or something.  There were no cell phones for instant communication.

I used a big neck roll in football in high school and tackled mostly with my face/forehead.  (I predict a joke here).  

For awhile if you didn't do a special tight roll at bottom of your blue jeans you were uncool.

Everybody saw Top Gun and immediately wanted to be a fighter pilot.

Kids talked on corded phones with their voice for hours and hours.   A phone with a conference call button was epitome of high tech cool.

Prior to caller ID coming out, funnest thing you could do in grade school was stay night at a friends and make prank calls.

source.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Is anyone else surprised Pace hasn’t paid more for Wentz than the Rams paid for Stafford?  I sure am.  For once Pace is playing it cool and not trading 2 1st 2 2nds and Mack for wentz.  

You know Pace has never overpaid on a trade.  You can argue he has made bad picks, but not bad trades.  He gave up equal value to move up one spot, he did not overpay.  He gave up 2 1sts and a 3rd but got a 2nd back for a premier player and nobody would argue that was a bad deal.  He got Foles for a 4th, which is nothing if it had worked.  Why people think Pace is automatically going to overpay on a trade is beyond me.