NFC Championship Game: Tampa Bay Yucs at Green Bay Packers

packfanfb

2 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Anyone who thinks this team is “soft” is dumb as rocks. About as dumb as our DC in critical moments.

Seriously. This team isn't soft. This team was just in a dog fight with an excellent team that went all the way to the wire. 

We lost on situational football coaching, and some bad bounces. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, persiandud said:

Still need to get more physical as a football team. Did a decent job against the run overall today, only 3.2 ypc, but that long Fournette TD run was gross tackling. We weren't nearly as soft as that loss last season, so that's progress. But I still think we are a soft team overall. The culture is gradually changing, though. We are becoming more resilient

Our OL couldn't hold up today. David Bahktiari plays, we win this game. Vea was a monster on limited snaps. Linsley played poorly when we needed him to step up. Billy Turner had an awful time. Very good Tampa front 7, felt like Barrett and JPP were getting close on every snap. Devin White and Lavonte David are the best LB duo in football. Their defensive unit was so much more physical. We need a defense like this

Aaron Jones, love you man. Dynamic RB. Not elite, but one of the better backs in football. Really didn't show up today, the #1 run defense murked you. 2 fumbles, 1 giving TB an opportunity in the red area. Injured and out. Reports were that we offered you top 5 money and you declined. Good luck to you, but you are not a top 5 back and we cannot make the horrible decision of paying a RB that much money unless they are truly elite. We drafted AJ Dillon in the 2nd round. As much as I hate that decision, for the sake of consistent team building, you have to roll with him as your starter moving forward. Wouldn't mind bringing Jamaal Williams back if it's team friendly. 

Davante Adams. Okay, this might get me in trouble, but here it is. He's not the best wideout in football. Look at what Tyreek Hill is able to do to a defense. Adams is top 10 imo, but needed to play a special game here and he didn't show up. The drop in the endzone, bruh if you're the best wideout in the league you convert that score. The other he could have toe-tapped. Needed those plays. Needed more from him. I know Carlton Davis is a good corner, but this was TBs weakness. It was clear we couldn't run the ball on them so the pass catchers needed to show up. If we're not going to invest in pass catchers, then Adams needs to be special. I think this game showed he needs another quick shifty fast WR to complement him. The 2021 class is stacked with WRs, I wouldn't mind drafting one early. Or trading our first for Julio Jones 

Pettine....done with you man. First half was shambolic. 9/14 on 3rd down conversions, not good enough. The call at the end of the first half, after TB calls a timeout and you know they're going to try and hit a deep shot, absolutely inexcusable. Firable offense. Feels like a lot of DCs can get more out of this unit. Let MLF pick his own guy, and fire Mennenga while you're at it 

LaFleur...when a team has shut down your running game and you need answers in the passing game, I didn't see enough schematically to be happy with your playcalling. Run more PA, RPOs, get some easier completions. So many articles out there that conclude that play action works even if your team hasn't been running effectively. **** it, run the **** out of it. Needed better coaching from you. Credit to Todd Bowles, no wonder he's getting HC opportunities. The decision to kick a FG on 4th down was asinine and incredibly disappointing when you consider that LaFleur has actually been one of the smartest decision makers this season when it comes to going for it on 4th down when you should go for it, analytically speaking. Then goes and does that. Can't coach like a coward in big games. He will learn from this 

Lastly, Rodgers...I don't know what to say. Part of me feels like he played well enough to win, and you just can't give up 31 pts at home. The other part of me thinks the defense made enough stops in the 2nd half and he had his chances to win the game. Two three and outs after turnovers. 3 goal to go opportunities. Only 6 pts from 3 turnovers overall. That's not winning football. They played winning football, they converted TDs from their TOs last week against the Saints and they did it again this week, and that could have very well been the difference right there. Clear holding penalty missed on his INT. Rodgers played decent, but it felt like he needed to be nuclear hot to win, and that's a problem. He's not a choker in the playoffs. He performs well in most games, it just never seems good enough to win. This is once again a reminder of how hard it is to win a SB, or even get there. Sports media freaking out about his comments post-game. He isn't going anywhere. Retool and run it back. Get this man another weapon in the passing game. Legitimately feel like he can play until he's at least 45 at this high of a level. QBs hardly getting hit in today's game, LaFleur is a smart coach. Keep building. We are a SB caliber team for as long as this man stays hungry for another ring. The club needs to avoid making the disastrous decision to trade him; I don't see it happening. This man was an MVP in his 2nd season in this system. Keep it going, we will be back in this game 

THIS is a very good post ... well thought out and stated.  Sums up my thoughts to a T.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, St Vince said:

Thing is we still don't know because we never seen him play in a real NFL game. Can we at least see him in a real game before we put the Winston label on him?

Perhaps this summer we should wait and see him in at least the preseason before we ship Rodgers out of town on a rail.  Rodgers wasn't spectacular but he wasn't the main reason why we lost.

7 hours ago, Jaire_Island said:

Anyway we said all these years that Brady got the rings because D gives him stop after stop after stop in final quarters.

We got the same stops today and we didn’t pulled it. So part of me says that Brady might be real Goat. 

Might be?  No Patriots/Brady fan, but at this point objectively they should rename the Lombardi trophy the Brady trophy.

I thought LaFluer was coach of the year.   This was year Packers could have won it all.  

But how do you kick that field goal and give the ball back to Brady with a TD lead and all he has to do is run out small time on clock?   I don’t give a darn about whatever logic or odds or analytics you use to justify that.   It is wrong.   Football is about momentum, Packers had it and gave it back to Tampa.  You go for tie right there inside the 10 and win in OT with momentum and crowd on your side.  To me that was worst decision in late postseason history that I can recall.  

Plus, you have MVP and you put game in hands of defense to get a 3 and out?   If I was Rodgers I would have refused to leave the field on 4th.   I would have waived off the kicking team.  Manning would have done it.

5 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Perhaps this summer we should wait and see him in at least the preseason before we ship Rodgers out of town on a rail.  Rodgers wasn't spectacular but he wasn't the main reason why we lost.

Rodgers wasn't lights out but did enough to win the game.  His teammates/coaches however did not resulting in another heartbreaking loss.

Someone a couple of pages ago (sorry I can't remember who you are) said the first mistake yesterday was deferring the coin toss.  Perhaps this was the game to get the early lead.

Being crappy on 3rd down on D came back to bite us.  We couldn't get off the field, especially in the first half.

We need to address the trenches on both sides of the ball.  In the end this is where we lost the game.  Again.  😟

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

Someone a couple of pages ago (sorry I can't remember who you are) said the first mistake yesterday was deferring the coin toss.  Perhaps this was the game to get the early lead.

Being crappy on 3rd down on D came back to bite us.  This has been an issue for most of the year.  We couldn't get off the field, especially in the first half.  I'll give them props for the 2 picks but then we couldn't capitalize on them.

We need to address the trenches on both sides of the ball.  In the end this is where we lost the game.  Again.  😟

21 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

But how do you kick that field goal and give the ball back to Brady with a TD lead and all he has to do is run out small time on clock?   I don’t give a darn about whatever logic or odds or analytics you use to justify that.   It is wrong.   Football is about momentum, Packers had it and gave it back to Tampa.  You go for tie right there inside the 10 and win in OT with momentum and crowd on your side.  To me that was worst decision in late postseason history that I can recall.  

Plus, you have MVP and you put game in hands of defense to get a 3 and out?   If I was Rodgers I would have refused to leave the field on 4th.   I would have waived off the kicking team.  Manning would have done it.

But - the plan came damn close to working.

3rd & 4 at TB 37

(1:46 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to T.Johnson [R.Gary]. PENALTY on GB-K.King, Defensive Pass Interference, 15 yards, enforced at TB 37 - No Play.

Take that DPI out of the equation (on an uncatchable pass btw...) and GB is getting the ball back with....over a minute left (and at least 1 timeout) - not needing 8 to tie - but 6 to win.

Correction:  If the DPI wasnt called, GB probably would have used their last timeout to stop the clock. Giving them the ball - with no timeouts - but a minute 40 to score the winning TD.

Correction #2: As correctly pointed out below, GB wouldnt have needed to burn their last TO because the incomplete pass would have stopped the clock. Phew! Can I be done with this post now?  :)

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AustrianPacker said:

Why? Was an incomplete pass

There ya go - thats a good point. Right over my head LOL

So - we're back to having a timeout left and around a min 40.
Wouldnt have been easy.....not saying we'd have done it....but I like those odds better than getting the TD and the two point conversion - just to tie.

45 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Rodgers wasn't lights out but did enough to win the game.  His teammates/coaches however did not resulting in another heartbreaking loss.

His teammates and coaches did enough to win the game also if Rodgers plays up to his standards. This was a team loss. 

I'm very confused. You bring in Tramon but you play Redmond? Am I the only one that thinks Tramon would've made that pick before half? Thats why you bring in a T Williams in the first place. Also why did we cut whitehead?  Big mistake he came back to bite us.

Edited by St Vince