Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

On 3/16/2021 at 4:23 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

I am intrigued to see what happens with Phil now. You have to assume someone out there is going to offer him a deal. He might have (understandably) now given up on being a Bronco beyond this year, but the UDFA tag allows Phil to negotiate with the entire league a full league year earlier than it would have with a 1 year, $3m 2nd round tender. Technically, we've done Phil a favour.

Well, I didn't think we'd just flat out remove the tender ...

That is a rather sentimental move by us. Have to wonder if it's in the best of the team to be honest, given that we now can't do anything to stop him signing with a rival. That said, it should hopefully give us some credit amongst players around the league and frankly, Phil deserves his chance to pick his team as early as possible.

I've no doubt people (RK from DNVR for sure) are going to go nuts about this. Phil is a local guy with good numbers and he's an underdog. I just think teams really started to pick on his weaknesses last year and there is just no way Phil can be a 3 down RB.

I wish him nothing but the best. I really hope he doesn't go to KC for Andy Reid to hide his deficiencies (doesn't seem a good fit, given the lack of ability in the passing game).

• Like 1

I realize there are different schools of thought on this (building an offense to match your talent vs finding the talent to match your offense). But man, this just feels.. like, how the hell you gonna call yourself an offensive coordinator if you can’t find a way to utilize a player as explosive as Lindsay? I know he struggles in pass pro and is a bit injury prone. Maybe that’s a big part of this, who knows. But when Lindsay pops off 1000 and a 5.3 ypc next season, it’s gonna be hard not to shake my head a bit. 

28 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I realize there are different schools of thought on this (building an offense to match your talent vs finding the talent to match your offense). But man, this just feels.. like, how the hell you gonna call yourself an offensive coordinator if you can’t find a way to utilize a player as explosive as Lindsay? I know he struggles in pass pro and is a bit injury prone. Maybe that’s a big part of this, who knows. But when Lindsay pops off 1000 and a 5.3 ypc next season, it’s gonna be hard not to shake my head a bit. 

It really comes down to MG3 being signed, followed by the scheme change.    If we don't sign MG3, and get a 3rd down vet who can pass protect, then we simply decide if we need to draft his successor, and when (which would have been my route, to be clear).   But once MG3 was signed, the die was cast - Lindsay's struggles with the new scheme, and his failure to improve in pass pro and catching, it sealed his fate.

The thing about Lindsay himself that I actually get with why the FO parted ways - the predictability factor.    When you put Lindsay on the field, you telegraph it's a run play.  That's easier to defend.    And if somehow a pass play happens, on teams that do their prep work, the CB or LB assigned to his area probably has the option to blitz and expose his weakness even further. 

Part of Lindsay's early success in the first 2 years was that the book didn't come out nearly as much.    He also thrived way more with the Shanny system, when there was a FB leading the way.   He really had a harder time making reads in Shurmur's system (hitting wrong hole, hesitating, etc.).   That was very apparent with the eye test, and confirmed in many of  @lomaxgrUK's breakdowns (and thx again, much appreciated)

We all love the story, and can root for him, he's earned it - but the rational, impartial analysis shows a lot of justification for this, especially once MG3 was signed.    If we didn't sign MG3, we'd still likely be in the same boat - just next year, not this one. 

FWIW, I agree with you on having the system max out the talents of your best players - but RB is literally the most replaceable position there is.  If the system can't max out your QB/WR who are great talent-wise, terrible decision.    RB doesn't have nearly the same impetus.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Well, I didn't think we'd just flat out remove the tender ...

That is a rather sentimental move by us. Have to wonder if it's in the best of the team to be honest, given that we now can't do anything to stop him signing with a rival. That said, it should hopefully give us some credit amongst players around the league and frankly, Phil deserves his chance to pick his team as early as possible.

I've no doubt people (RK from DNVR for sure) are going to go nuts about this. Phil is a local guy with good numbers and he's an underdog. I just think teams really started to pick on his weaknesses last year and there is just no way Phil can be a 3 down RB.

I wish him nothing but the best. I really hope he doesn't go to KC for Andy Reid to hide his deficiencies (doesn't seem a good fit, given the lack of ability in the passing game).

Well, on the plus side, he's definitely not signing with LV.   KC doesn't really make sense, either, given the pass game / blocking issues.    LAC seems happy with Ekeler / run-only tandem of Kelly-Jackson, but I guess that's a risk.  I think the odds are very low, though.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well, on the plus side, he's definitely not signing with LV.   KC doesn't really make sense, either, given the pass game / blocking issues.    LAC seems happy with Ekeler / run-only tandem of Kelly-Jackson, but I guess that's a risk.  I think the odds are very low, though.

It's been brought up a few places online, but I think Arizona would be a somewhat interesting landing spot for him.

• Like 1

Just now, broncos67 said:

It's been brought up a few places online, but I think Arizona would be a somewhat interesting landing spot for him.

The Cards would be absolutely nuts to have Chase Edmonds be the lead back.  He needs to have touches in space, and the workload limited.  

Plus, Vance Joseph is there.  Obvious connection.  Good call.

Trubisky to the Bills, leaving Alex Smith as the lone vet that I can think of that the Broncos could target to give Lock some competition.  So, it's either the Broncos draft Trey Lance, or Fields, or trade up for Wilson.  Or, they really are going to make a run for Watson.  There is just no other scenario to really play out.  Unless, they have failed on all options, and they will be stuck with a Lock/Rypien combo at QB next year. 

27 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Trubisky to the Bills, leaving Alex Smith as the lone vet that I can think of that the Broncos could target to give Lock some competition.  So, it's either the Broncos draft Trey Lance, or Fields, or trade up for Wilson.  Or, they really are going to make a run for Watson.  There is just no other scenario to really play out.  Unless, they have failed on all options, and they will be stuck with a Lock/Rypien combo at QB next year. 

Darnold for a 3 I wouldn't mind he'd need to be what top 16 for it to pay off?.

Also I can do worse than convincing myself on board with Mac Jones.

45 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The Kenyan Drake signing for LV was a weird one. They have Jalen Richard making decent money and of course Josh Jacobs is a superstar. Lot of money tied up in the RB position now and that's without the big money contract Jacobs will get soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

The Kenyan Drake signing for LV was a weird one. They have Jalen Richard making decent money and of course Josh Jacobs is a superstar. Lot of money tied up in the RB position now and that's without the big money contract Jacobs will get soon.

And let's also marvel at the fact that this $ that LV saved by releasing 3 of their starters has been re-invested in a WR, a 2nd RB and 1 defender so far.  They've taken away their biggest strength and used it not on the worst area, but in luxury areas.    The only way this makes sense is if there's a serious long-term issue with Jacobs.  But last year's injuries weren't long-term...so yeah, it's a complete head-scratcher.

SMH Gruden (Mayock is the GM, but Gruden is the one with final say, so it's on him too).  Dude can coach - but giving HC's personnel control as dual GM hasn't worked unless your initials are BB (and even then, it's not perfect by any means - look at that draft record).

Edited by Broncofan

Everyone needs to brace themselves for those big games from Phil, and the "WhaT WerE thE BroNcoS ThiNkinG" type stuff.

For the record, I don't think we should have cut him loose. If someone offers, we review the offer. I guess it comes down to the fact our staff really don't rate him at all.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Everyone needs to brace themselves for those big games from Phil, and the "WhaT WerE thE BroNcoS ThiNkinG" type stuff.

For the record, I don't think we should have cut him loose. If someone offers, we review the offer. I guess it comes down to the fact our staff really don't rate him at all.

It goes back to the Gordon signing for me. Hated that signing then, hate it now. 

I’ve always felt Lindsay is an underrated back, top 10 in the NFL imo.