Lions and Stafford agree to part ways and will explore trades.

TheRealMcCoy

8 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

You had a quality team and he still couldn't get it done (controversial call or not) at some point you pretty much are what you are.

I'm sorry, im not assuming anything when it comes to Stafford. Doesn't that say a lot about him that you almost have to have perfect settings for him to be successful? 

Who is saying "perfect settings"? A decent run game and a solid defense is far from perfect. How many QBs are able to win Super Bowls without support? Rodgers, one of the greatest, has one Super Bowl appearance during his 13 seasons as a starter. How many great QBs have never won one?

My only point is that we can't laugh at the Lions for how bad their GMs and coaches have been, then blame Stafford for not having more team success. Either his teams were strong and he was holding them back, or the teams have been underwhelming and he's largely the reason why they've reached the playoffs three times during his career. It can't be both.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Stafford goes to New England

Watson goes to the Jets

Newton is a stopgap at Detroit, who drafts Fields as well.

Houston drafts Wilson from BYU

Sam Darnold asks for release and gets it

Darnold wouldn't get a release, even if he asked for it. One year left on the rookie contract and the option. Someone would trade for him. 

And I'm not sure why Newton keeps coming up as some sort of stopgap. No one was interested last year and then he had a season where he really was bad.

30 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Who is saying "perfect settings"? A decent run game and a solid defense is far from perfect. How many QBs are able to win Super Bowls without support? Rodgers, one of the greatest, has one Super Bowl appearance during his 13 seasons as a starter. How many great QBs have never won one?

My only point is that we can't laugh at the Lions for how bad their GMs and coaches have been, then blame Stafford for not having more team success. Either his teams were strong and he was holding them back, or the teams have been underwhelming and he's largely the reason why they've reached the playoffs three times during his career. It can't be both.

See this is the thing, i'm not putting the blame on all of these other factors, I put the blame on Stafford. I say this because I almost watched him damn near every Sunday, I watch the same games you watch. He is at his best when he is down multiple touchdowns when teams go into prevent defense then he tears them a new butt hole. Its never when teams are playing their normal defense. Now you are right, they never had a sustainable run game to rely on, but life isn't fair, but then again, the best running game they had was with Reggie Bush and Joique Bell. I just think at some point, people need to stop making excuses for the guy and not be afraid to say that some of the blame goes on him. 

In my eyes, he just isn't anyone that elevates the room, he just goes along with whats already going. For instance, if he were to go to the Patriots, would he really be that much better? I doubt it, they don't have anywhere the weapons he needs to be successful, now Dallas, that could work for him. They are loaded on offense and probably go all out to address the defense this offseason. 

My point is, I just don't think he deserves or did anything to deserve the benefit of the doubt that say a Deshawn Watson would get.

50 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

You had a quality team and he still couldn't get it done (controversial call or not) at some point you pretty much are what you are.

That whole one year?  I think most that like him just want to see what he can do inside a competent organization. 

But you're right, it's not a guarantee that he makes a leap. Stafford could very well be broken beyond repair at this point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

See this is the thing, i'm not putting the blame on all of these other factors, I put the blame on Stafford. I say this because I almost watched him damn near every Sunday, I watch the same games you watch. He is at his best when he is down multiple touchdowns when teams go into prevent defense then he tears them a new butt hole. Its never when teams are playing their normal defense. Now you are right, they never had a sustainable run game to rely on, but life isn't fair, but then again, the best running game they had was with Reggie Bush and Joique Bell. I just think at some point, people need to stop making excuses for the guy and not be afraid to say that some of the blame goes on him. 

In my eyes, he just isn't anyone that elevates the room, he just goes along with whats already going. For instance, if he were to go to the Patriots, would he really be that much better? I doubt it, they don't have anywhere the weapons he needs to be successful, now Dallas, that could work for him. They are loaded on offense and probably go all out to address the defense this offseason. 

My point is, I just don't think he deserves or did anything to deserve the benefit of the doubt that say a Deshawn Watson would get.

The part in bold is just completely false. But, if that's the perspective you're arguing from, so be it: we won't see eye to eye.

19 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

33 year old QB that never won a playoff game with 2 years remaining on a big contract. No it doesnt. Not for someone smart. No unless you have the best defense in the league and an average supporting cast.

I think you are stuck in 2010 if you think 20 Mil for a QB is a big contract.  QBs are getting 40 mil a year now.  His contract with the Lions eating a portion of it would put him behind Teddy Bridgewater, Derrick Carr, Alex Smith, and Jimmy Garapollo.  He will be about the cheapest starting QB in the league that is not on a rookie contract.  

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

That whole one year?  I think most that like him just want to see what he can do inside a competent organization. 

But you're right, it's not a guarantee that he makes a leap. Stafford could very well be broken beyond repair at this point.

100% Fair....

30 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

The part in bold is just completely false. But, if that's the perspective you're arguing from, so be it: we won't see eye to eye.

So you mean to tell me that him playing at his best when down isn't true?

And not seeing eye to eye is completely fine

Edited by MSURacerDT55

29 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

I don't think he's broken. I think he's an average QB who doesn't elevate the team around him. Put him on a great team with great coaching, and he can win. Put him on a below average team, and the team will have a below average season. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

I don't think he's broken. I think he's an average QB who doesn't elevate the team around him. Put him on a great team with great coaching, and he can win. Put him on a below average team, and the team will have a below average season. 

I'm just talking mentally, years of seeing how inept other areas of the team stand and trying to do too much because of it. It's a hard habit to break.

I think he's better than average but it's hard to know.  Detroit spent much of his time here trying to minimize his faults instead of developing his strengths. Those initial prime years wasted with the Lombardi/Cooter duo truly hurt his progression IMO.

I remember you being higher on Stafford years ago, no?

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Stafford goes to New England

Watson goes to the Jets

Newton is a stopgap at Detroit, who drafts Fields as well.

Houston drafts Wilson from BYU

Sam Darnold asks for release and gets it

Id rather have darnold than Newton if darnold gets released, I don’t think fields will be a good pro IMO. 

10 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yes. I am telling you that he hasn't only "played at his best when his team is losing". I think that is completely inaccurate.

Yeah, well I do, i've seen enough of him in that situation to formulate a pretty strong opinion, but i'm also not a fan so I'm a little bit more objective on the situation as well

Edited by MSURacerDT55