In light of today, Linsley gets paid

HeresAGuy

King Jones Linsley will all be gone.  Pretty certain of that.  Williams might be back if we can get him on a somewhat reasonable deal.  We are up against it boys.  Even losing all those guys Preston Smith Kirksley and some others might not return.  Gute might be able to patch this thing for another run next year but we are going to lose some good players no way around it.  I actually expected them to regress this year.  They didn't.  Expect them to regress next year too.  Well we'll see.  

4 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Pragmatic buzz killer speaking, we shouldn’t pay corey. 30 year old interior lineman are bad investments especially with our cap situation. Look at how quickly Lang and Sitton dropped off. 50% chance he’s out of the nfl in 2 years. As much as it sucks you wish him well and take the 4th round comp pick.

The play is Runyon, Jenkins, Patrick on the interior. Then maybe like Taylor on a cheap rehab deal/mid round pick. You can manage with that.

I agree with this thinking.  We have seen that Jenkins is good at center.  Lucas Patrick was also said to be functional there.  Between the two of them, we have 2 of the starting 3 interior linemen.  Runyan looked like he can cover the other guard in his playing time.  Bring back Taylor and Stepaniak to compete at that third spot and I think we are still one of the better lines in the league.  Probably even more so when Bakhtiari is 100%.  For the cost of Corey Linsley, we can probably afford: Tonyan, Williams, Lazard, Sullivan, and Lewis next season.  Take the extra 4th and see what it turns into.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Who plays LT until Bakh is back?

Jenkins?  Turner is fine at RT but struggled on the other side.  Perhaps tackle is a spot we should address in the draft.  We've had luck finding good ones later on.  Runyan might be a good guard.  I hear Stepaniak is as strong as an ox.  Maybe he'd be a good one inside?

8 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

I rather use that money on a CB2 that will not choke when it matters most.

Perhaps we can get a corner in the draft.  We are losing post season games the past 2 years in the trenches.  With AR not getting any younger we need to shore it up.  We also have to address the D's front 7 too.  😕

• Like 1

I'd love Linsley back, but with is age (30 in July), 2021 salary space, position, potential comp pick, somewhat of recent injury history, 2020 Interior Oline draft picks, etc. I'm not as confident as some of you that he will be resigned. That's not to say it's not possible but how many non OT have we given a 3rd contract to? Sitton and Lang didn't get one at ~30.

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

Perhaps we can get a corner in the draft.  We are losing post season games the past 2 years in the trenches.  With AR not getting any younger we need to shore it up.  We also have to address the D's front 7 too.  😕

We should definitely draft a CB high, but there should be some depth and experience at the position to offset the risks of relying on a rook (which we are basically force to do regardless).

Because of striking out on Rollins, Randall, King, and Jackson, we have pretty much no choice but to spend high draft capital on corner again.  It is absolutely killing us.  Does anyone swing and miss on corners as bad as us?  Jaire was our only home run.  I cant recall a team spending as many high picks on corners as us with such woeful returns.  

Because of it, we have to take the safe bet, pay Linsley, and roll the dice on corner round 1.......again.  

Love the guy but let him walk can't afford to pay them all this year and C is something we've already shown we can replace. We have Runyan who played well and a few others on the bench to play guards. I would rather keep Wagner who played well down the stretch then lose that in light of paying a center 10 mil a year.