When can we start putting Mahomes on the list of all-time great QBs?

childofpudding

14 hours ago, DutchFalcon said:

Why isn't Matt Ryan on this graphic? Looking at rookie sensation numbers he's ahead of most of the list (not sure about Wilson). Saying he isn't a QB legend is BS if Rivers is on this list.

That said I'm hesitant to calling Mahomes an "all time great". How many RB's have had earth shattering career starts but had it cut short by injury and haven't made the HoF? If he wins this SB by his virtue's I think he'll be a HoF lock. If he doesn't win and has a career ending injury in next seasons pre-season I'm not sure. He'll be one of those "what if" stories that plague a sport as physical as the NFL.

Matt Ryan ends up between Roethlisberger and Brees on that graph.

To your second point, if Mahomes were to have a career ending injury tomorrow, he would go down as the Bo Jackson of QBs.  He'd still be a legend.

He really just needs the time to keep doing what he's doing. His situation won't last forever though, and no QB does it alone. Reid will retire one day, the defense will fluctuate as all defenses do, Hill and Kelce will grow old or get injured.

As a filthy casual giving his opinion though, he is one of the most dangerous opponents that I have ever seen. And he really has GOAT potential.

• Like 1

🙄

over it ugh GIF by NBPA

more Mahomes nut slobbering

come on, id give my my left arm for Mahomes as my teams QB, but even if he were on my team i wouldnt say he's on  the list of all time great QBs yet

is Gayle Sayers the best RB of all time

gtfo

he played like 5 years

yeah Mahomes is on his way but give the man at least 5-8 years of sustained success (AT THIS LEVEL) before you start anointing him the best ever

PS

to be considered the best ever IMO he'd need:

- At least 4 Super Bowl wins

- At Least 4 MVPs (no one cares about SB MVPS)

- Top 3 in Passing yardage & TDs

those are the minimums

Edited by BucsDraftGeek47

14 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

PS

those are the minimums

No one currently then?

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 5:14 PM, DutchFalcon said:

That said I'm hesitant to calling Mahomes an "all time great". How many RB's have had earth shattering career starts but had it cut short by injury and haven't made the HoF? If he wins this SB by his virtue's I think he'll be a HoF lock. If he doesn't win and has a career ending injury in next seasons pre-season I'm not sure. He'll be one of those "what if" stories that plague a sport as physical as the NFL.

Guys. Is....is Mahomes overrated because he might get injured?

14 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Patrick Mahomes is already the most talented QB to ever play football. He just needs some years to add to his accolades. He has more talent than Brady, Peyton or Montana ever had. I don't even think it's remotely close. 

In terms of raw talent, there's a couple guys I think have more tbh. DeShaun Watson comes to mind. Andrew Luck as well. But they weren't put into a great situation like he was either. So there's wins and losses in this case.

4 minutes ago, scar988 said:

In terms of raw talent, there's a couple guys I think have more tbh. DeShaun Watson comes to mind. Andrew Luck as well. But they weren't put into a great situation like he was either. So there's wins and losses in this case.

Mahomes arm talent is leagues ahead of Andrew Luck's tbh. Luck had a below average arm.

22 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

🙄

over it ugh GIF by NBPA

more Mahomes nut slobbering

come on, id give my my left arm for Mahomes as my teams QB, but even if he were on my team i wouldnt say he's on  the list of all time great QBs yet

is Gayle Sayers the best RB of all time

gtfo

he played like 5 years

yeah Mahomes is on his way but give the man at least 5-8 years of sustained success (AT THIS LEVEL) before you start anointing him the best ever

PS

those are the minimums

I'd say that most lists of all-time great RBs have Gayle Sayers as top 10-15 all-time. So you are kind of making the argument that Mahomes does belong on the list if KC wins the SB again this season. I don't think any reasonable person would put him at #1 if he did absolutely nothing after this season, but top 15? For sure.

Edited by childofpudding

14 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

You said top 3 in yards and TDs, so clearly you're not talking about a shorter career.

🙄

top 10 

whatever

but if you wana be the GOAT with a shorter career arc , you have to do **** no one has ever done

putting Mahomes over Elway, Montana, even Rodgers, as of now is just dumb

let the man build his resume first , it takes awhile

let him have half a career before you put him in with guys like that

so many guys come in hot and flame out after a few years (granted, not this hot and by no means do i see Mahomes flaming out)

im just sayin

Whenever you want...

Personally I need to see his career play out a little more. I'd say in about 5 more years if he's at say 3 SBs, multiple MVPs, several pro-bowls, that'd put him in my top 10 all time... probably. Maybe not, maybe higher.

I think it's a fool's game to assume injury is the only thing that can slow down this insane pace he is on. Look at 2 other generational physical talents at QB in Marino and Favre. Specifically Marino's first 4 years and Favre's 95-97, and then look at what they did after. Never reached those levels again. What happened to them, and what's preventing the same thing from happening to Mahomes? There are no guarantees in this league, no need to rush to judgement. With a SB on Sunday Mahomes will have all but locked up the claim to the greatest start to a career in NFL history at QB, let's leave it at that.

3 hours ago, scar988 said:

Very much disagree. I don’t think any QB has the pure arm talent Mahomes has. He’s also got the brain to go with it, and is mobile.