Are the Chiefs approaching Patriots level in the eyes of neutral fans?

notthatbluestuff

Nope not at all. The Pats I strongly believe cheated to get multiple Superbowls. Then they got plenty of favors along to the way to others. Like you couldnt have bad breath on Brady and the refs throws a flag. Meanwhile any other QB can get the snot knocked out of him and the its like where is the flag? So to me that is what caused me to hate the Pats and Im glad their dynasty is over. 

The Chiefs imo are likable. I like Reid and Mahomes. I root for my former LSU Tiger players in CEH and Mathieu. The only negative about the success for me is having to hear Nick Wright gloat about how invincible the Chiefs is and everyone else just sucks. I can understand him feeling amazing for how long the Chiefs fans have suffered over the decades and now they finally have a team that will be great for a very long time but I just wish he would have more humility. Nothing against other Chiefs fans either but for someone who watches FS1 sports talk shows alot I cant imagine the gloating Nick will do if the Chiefs win the Superbowl this year. Ill be rooting for them over Brady but lets just say for this season alone if Brady and the Bucs was to win I wouldnt totally be mad lol. 

5 minutes ago, Starless said:

Says a lot about people's priorities here that some of y'all are more forgiving of Tyreek Hill's indiscretions than Bill Belichick's.

I don't know if there's a comparison between one guy on a team who had an off field transgression and someone who is accused of cheating on the field. Most teams have guys who aren't boy scouts and who have had legal issues of some kind. There's only one team with a scandal like Spygate.

15 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I don't know if there's a comparison between one guy on a team who had an off field transgression and someone who is accused of cheating on the field. Most teams have guys who aren't boy scouts and who have had legal issues of some kind. There's only one team with a scandal like Spygate.

That's funny because the Pats, at the time Spygate broke, were considered the most high-character roster in the league. 
It also amuses me the way people get up in arms over cheating in pro sports, frankly. It's such a quintessentially American mindset to be upset over what's fundamentally a victimless crime that should rightly be viewed as a natural outgrowth of an environment like the NFL.

Also, it's a bit disingenuous to refer to Hill as "one guy" when he's so vital to the Chiefs' success, innit? If he was some JAG they'd have spared themselves the PR headache and just cut him loose, no?

Edited by Starless

18 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Actually there's at least 2 other teams since Spygate that had Spygate like infractions. That's not counting all the other **** like noise pumping which several teams were accused of, mass PED use which effected a SB team like the Seahawks and Manning in 15 when they won. Hell just take the 49'ers in their run, they got popped for huge cap violations, Montana admitted that his lineman were using silicon spray, and Rice was using stickum by his own admission when it was still illegal. It just depends on how much people want to make a big deal out of it. Technically Spygate wasn't even an enforced rule until Goodell became the commissioner in 2006. And they got caught in 2007. So itwasn't something they would have gotten punished for in any SB's.

Not that I think Tyreek is an apt comparison. But it does kinda show selective outrage. 

Edited by lancerman

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Actually there's at least 2 other teams since Spygate that had Spygate like infractions. That's not counting all the other **** like noise pumping which several teams were accused of, mass PED use which effected a SB team like the Seahawks and Manning in 15 when they won. Hell just take the 49'ers in their run, they got popped for huge cap violations, Montana admitted that his lineman were using silicon spray, and Rice was using stickum by his own admission when it was still illegal. It just depends on how much people want to make a big deal out of it. Technically Spygate wasn't even an enforced rule until Goodell became the commissioner in 2006. And they got caught in 2007. So itwasn't something they would have gotten punished for in any SB's.

I'm not looking to get into another Spygate argument. For the sake of this thread, the perception was they cheated in an unprecedented way. The Chiefs haven't been accused of anything like that.

11 minutes ago, lancerman said:

It's pointless to do the tu quoque thing with this stuff. People either accept that cheating is ubiquitous in pro sports or they have their heads in the sand and nothing will shake them either way. 

My view is that cheating in pro sports should just be encouraged, frankly. It's a form of entertainment and anyone who doesn't believe cheating adds to the spectacle is lying to themselves. All this sanctimonious handwringing about 'integrity of the game' from a league run by a cabal of billionaires who put the health of young men on the line for profit, and cover up science that says the sport is literally killing a lot of them, is laughable. 

Edited by Starless

7 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I feel the need to point out that it's not a crime, but it has a victim. The people you are competing against. This is kind of obvious.

How is the quality of life for these victims diminished? Are they making less money because of it? Do their prospects for future gainful employment suffer? Are they somehow deprived of their basic needs?

I can see why Bountygate was such a big deal, because that actually put the players' health at stake. I have never been able to figure out why Spygate, let alone Ballghazi, was a big deal.

Edited by Starless

Just now, CKSteeler said:

I'm not looking to get into another Spygate argument. For the sake of this thread, the perception was they cheated in an unprecedented way. The Chiefs haven't been accused of anything like that.

Well perceptions one thing but there are literally two other teams that had the exact same violation as Spygate since then. And it's just a flat out fact that it was not an enforced rule pre 06 and the coach of your team at the time was one of the people who defended them on that point. So it's just one of those things where perception and actual reality don't line up. 

But point taken on the Chiefs and I'm not interested in relitigating it, just saying two other teams had the exact same violations occur.

2 hours ago, Starless said:

How is the quality of life for these victims diminished? Are they making less money because of it? Do their prospects for future gainful employment suffer? Are they somehow deprived of their basic needs?

I can see why Bountygate was such a big deal, because that actually put the players' health at stake. I have never been able to figure out why Spygate, let alone Ballghazi, was a big deal.

ESPN and jealous fans.

12 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Yeah I mean Mahomes is probably the most universally well-liked player in the league? I'm not really sure where the idea is that he has a significant amount of 'haters' out there. 

It's comfortable to play the victim. People want to be the hero of their own story, regardless if there isn't an antagonist. Just human nature. 

No one hates Mahomes unless it's a division rival fan. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe