Prime Rodgers vs Prime Peyton

RUGmen

??  

118 members have voted

1. 1. ??

15 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Not sure where you're getting your numbers from. Peyton's AFC Championship games:

2004 - lost to the Patriots

2007 - beat Patriots

2010 - beat Jets

2014 - beat Patriots

2016 - beat Patriots

Manning also won a ring in 2007.

The struggles you're referring to are also mostly just for his first few years - thing is, Manning started two playoff games before Rodgers was the starting QB in Green Bay.

And you have to realize that it's not knocking just any QB for a relative lack of playoff success - it's a QB who is one of the best of all time.

And for almost all of their careers, Manning had to deal with the GOAT while Rodgers had to deal with Eli Manning.

I was looking at the list of seasons of the Colts and Broncos when he was playing for them.  I'm not knocking Manning at all.  I was just pointing out some things I found.   Looking again in 2014 the Colts lost to NE so I was incorrect.  He is 3-2 in AFCC games.  I do recall some folks say Manning was a great regular season QB but struggled in the post season until he won that SB with Denver.  Until Rodgers wins another one he'll have that albatross too around his neck too.  Rodgers as a starter lost to Eli's Gmen only once but not in the NFCC game.  The Cardinals and the 49ers have been more of an issue for Rodgers over the years in the post season than NYG.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:53 AM, Pugger said:

I was looking at the list of seasons of the Colts and Broncos when he was playing for them.  I'm not knocking Manning at all.  I was just pointing out some things I found.   Looking again in 2014 the Colts lost to NE so I was incorrect.  He is 3-2 in AFCC games.  I do recall some folks say Manning was a great regular season QB but struggled in the post season until he won that SB with Denver.  Until Rodgers wins another one he'll have that albatross too around his neck too.  Rodgers as a starter lost to Eli's Gmen only once but not in the NFCC game.  The Cardinals and the 49ers have been more of an issue for Rodgers over the years in the post season than NYG.

Manning has been for four Super Bowls, so he's won 4 AFCCG.

Prime Peyton. He turned around what was at the time a loser franchise, went to 4 super bowls with 4 different (average) coaches, and called his own plays. 

Prime Rodgers could throw a prettier ball (though I think people are forgetting how polished young Peyton was throwing it) but Green Bay is basically the dream as far as being drafted early as a QB. That franchise knows how to develop a quarterback better than any. 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

I'm not the biggest Rodgers guy but this is Rodgers easy.

In 2010 he was a 109.8 rated playoff passer and a Super Bowl winner.

A true as the sun rising in the morning, Peyton Manning was carried to both of his Super Bowls.

• 3 TDs to 7 picks in the 2006 playoffs (even if he was great for 2 quarters in the AFCCG)
  • 8 TDs 14 pick regular season in 2014 and a 75.4 rating in those playoffs

It is also undeniable that Peyton's playoff performance is mostly garbage.

He had 3 games in a 2 year span with 12 TDs to 1 pick in 2003 and 2004.

• In those peak years he still finished up with losses where his team only scored 3 and 14 points vs NE

He had 28 TDs to 24 picks in his other 24 playoff games combined.

Take out Rodgers 5 best games of 17 to 1 and you are still left with a 28 TD to 12 pick playoff QB.

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

How many more championships would Manning have one if he didn't have to face Brady and Bellichick in the playoffs nearly every year?  

None. He was actually 3-2 against Brady and Belichick in the playoffs.

He was 1-and-done 9 times and never against New England.

Those 1-and-done teams averaged 11.9 wins per season and not one of them was a 9-7 squeaked in type squad.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:50 PM, DirtyDez said:

Let’s do the ole’ switcheroo...

Would Rodgers have had a better/worse/even career with Indy?

Would Peyton have a better/worse/even career in Green Bay?

I think Manning has a superior career. Think about it from this perspective, Manning threw for 5500 yds and 55 TDs in 2013 after the rule changes really sent things over the edge in favor of offenses. At that point in his career he had a noodle arm and was torching the league just off pure cerebral ability, creating mismatches, and allowing his receivers to feast in the open field.

Manning in a league where you can’t hit the star QB- at all- isn’t getting neck fusion surgery. Throw in the fact that you can barely touch the receivers and he’s cooking at an MVP level just the same as Rodgers was during his stretch. He likely has the most 5000 yd passing seasons record, he likely hits over 50 TDs maybe 3-4x (considering he would’ve hit 50 in 2004 had he not been trying to intentionally tie Dan Marino out of respect, if Marino no longer has the record, he’s not sentimental).

So he’d provide impact on the same tier as Rodgers- at worst IMO. Only Manning WAS the system. So as opposed to experiencing “down years” and calling for change (which I don’t disagree with Rodgers for doing), Manning continues to produce. Though this might also have been his major flaw. He would’ve remained the consummate team player/professional and allowed a terrible situation to continue to fester and impact his career until eventually GB trades old Manning (or he hangs it up). Then GB finds out too late that the problem was McCarthy and not Manning. That’s how I see it playing out.

Though I feel in the NFC, Manning is more lucky and is perhaps sitting at 2, MAYBE 3 rings at this point. While their peaks were close, I don’t think their primes were nearly as close. Hence the additional rings.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:53 PM, Pugger said:

Manning was 4-1 in the AFCCG.

3-2 is his playoff record against Brady

1 hour ago, Nightime said:

Manning was 4-1 in the AFCCG.

3-2 is his playoff record against Brady

Ohhh...so two with the Colts and two with the Broncos (that's right)

The 3-2 record must have home come in division round then?  

I always just thought the Pats just dominated the Colts in the playoffs.  

I think it's Peyton. His ability to just look at his receivers and everyone knows the defense and the right route to run against it was special.

He's probably one of the least physically gifted elite QBs to ever play. But I don't know that there are many QBs who knew what was gonna happen after every snap like Peyton did.

Rodgers is one of the most physically gifted QBs to ever play. His ability to make any throw and maneuver the pocket are all time.