2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

52 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Really need Miami to remind Aaron Jones that 12 million in Florida without taxes is a lot more than 9 million in Wisconsin with taxes.

Williams at 4 million per with Dillon is about three times the cap health value of Jones at 9 million.

I mean seriously... Other than Lacy’s fat season - and even then - have we had a BAD running game in anybody’s memory?  Anybody’s?

Has LaFleur EVER at any level had a bad running game?

Do the names Dujuan Harris, DeShaun Wynn, Cedric Benson, Brandon Jackson ring a bell?

Completely agree with your point, but we had some dismal running back rooms post Ryan Grant, until Lacy arrived and that's pretty recent memory.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

And I'll start, ThankyouGutefornotlisteningtoourdumbfanbase.com if we made that move.

I mean, Gute already offered Jones $9m/year (reportedly), so he clearly sees the value I see in Jones. I don't blame him (nor would I support) giving Jones $12m/year. Frankly, I probably would have tagged him for one more year at $8m for a team that wants to take another shot at the SB, but GB doesn't tag people. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, Gute already offered Jones $9m/year (reportedly), so he clearly sees the value I see in Jones. I don't blame him (nor would I support) giving Jones $12m/year. Frankly, I probably would have tagged him for one more year at $8m for a team that wants to take another shot at the SB, but GB doesn't tag people. 

Yeah, I think he blew it.  He could have secured his guy for 2021 at less than what he's offering per year now.  He's going to be signed away quickly once he hits the market.  I also wouldn't pay him the big money, but given the chance to secure his services for 2021 at 8.5 mil or whatever seemed like a no-brainer.

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You can win a SB with a RB less than Jones caliber starting. You cannot win a SB with a CB below the normal level King plays at starting as your #2. Especially when your #1 shuts down half the field and creates more targets for your #2.

We need to either bring King back or replace him with equal or greater playing level.

It is not imperative to replace Jones with equal or greater playing level, and we also have an internal candidate to replace him.

I think Gute's offer was a good faith offer that he'd be OK if it was accepted, but he knew wouldn't be. More out of respect for Jones. He knows what he needs to spend on this off-season, and it isn't RB.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You can win a SB with a RB less than Jones caliber starting. You cannot win a SB with a CB below the normal level King plays at starting as your #2. Especially when your #1 shuts down half the field and creates more targets for your #2.

We need to either bring King back or replace him with equal or greater playing level.

It is not imperative to replace Jones with equal or greater playing level, and we also have an internal candidate to replace him.

I think Gute's offer was a good faith offer that he'd be OK if it was accepted, but he knew wouldn't be. More out of respect for Jones. He knows what he needs to spend on this off-season, and it isn't RB.

As much as I don't like King, I agree with you. I think people forget Ladarius Gunter in 2017.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Meh, when the numbers are that close, ~3m or so like my original hypothetical, I'm taking the much better player, regardless of position. You don't let great players walk just so you can keep a lesser player at a more valuable position. 

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Meh, when the numbers are that close, ~3m or so like my original hypothetical, I'm taking the much better player, regardless of position. You don't let great players walk just so you can keep a lesser player at a more valuable position. 

You do if you value championships and not fun fantasy stats. You have to have good CB play to win in today's NFL. A Jones caliber CB is going to be 15m+, we can't afford that, so obviously the player is going to be lesser, but their importance to our team will be greater.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You do if you value championships and not fun fantasy stats. You have to have good CB play to win in today's NFL. A Jones caliber CB is going to be 15m+, we can't afford that, so obviously the player is going to be lesser, but their importance to our team will be greater.

After watching the TB game, what in this world makes you think King is the No. 2 CB this team needs to make it to the SB? I'll go ahead and draft his replacement over Jones'. 

If Dillon hadn’t been drafted, I think AJones is special enough both on the field and in the locker room to overlook the typical reservations about re-signing RB’s. He has a smaller build, but he does a good job of slithering through the defense and avoiding big direct hits. He also has good balance and I don’t tend to see him go down in an awkward fashion. He gives versatility in the passing game, but idk if you can really have him on the field at the same time as Dillon. 

I can’t see how they can afford it without taking a lot of potential value away from the Dillon pick. Jones also has a lot of mileage from his college days. And the 2021 salary cap situation makes it tough to make exceptions to the usual rules-of-thumb.

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't judge guys off a bad game.

Definitely King’s whole body of work has shown some flashes.  He’s also shown propensity to injury and some plays where his head was not in the game.

Jones is a great player and teammate.  If you were to watch the NFCC game, you would also let him walk but he is better than that.

In the end, it’s easier, cheaper and often times better to replace production at RB with younger players.  Cold reality of the business but this is not a year for luxury spending and Jones would be a luxury.

I don’t see either player coming back but if King were to take a low money short term deal, it would be hard not to see the value in it. We would still need to bring more talent in but rookie CBs are rarely high impact players unless they are inserted into a veteran unit. 

Edited by Refugee

50 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

After watching the TB game, what in this world makes you think King is the No. 2 CB this team needs to make it to the SB? I'll go ahead and draft his replacement over Jones'. 

It's not entirely that simple. How good is King if White, Dotson, Brown, and Jones are playing in front of him ??? If King was still under contract, I don't think there would be any talk of cutting him. He still has elite measurables, and has the unfortunate task of playing opposite Jaire.

The defense is broken. I don't care what anyone says. You have to have the ability to play well against good teams (playoffs). I have made it clear that I'm on the fix the defense or nothing else matters bandwagon. This year is definitely a puzzle for the defense. Standing pat is foolish. But one option can certainly be signing King cheap and adding pieces to get to the QB. The argument is not King vs Jones. It's King vs draft pick. King vs FA. King vs scheme. King vs 10 other things that have nothing to do with Jones

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1