2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Thompson “won” two, maybe three Super Bowls with his moves.  McCarthy’s Capers loyalty prevented that from being realized.

Thompson picked Hyde and Heyward. Capers turned Hyde and Heyward into subpar players who were all-pro away from Capers.

Thompson has another HOF draft pick without injuries and the best receiving threat TE since... Jackson?  Also injuries.

Peppers move got another Super Bowl without crippling the cap if not for terrible special teams coaching in The Great Sorrow.  Again, McCarthy.

There were very very few better GMs than Thompson as far as evaluating draft talent.

Gute is good, but Thompson was better.

I’m only watching football for Jaire and Savage.  I only care about Hall of Fame defensive back careers.  Super Bowl hopes are dead to me.

Gute found no starters from last years draft yet. That's not very good.  The 2018 draft class was just ok and 2019 better. This will be an extremely important draft year for Gute. He must do better immediately than he did with Love, Dillon and Deguara. No time to get cute and risky like the Love pick, not with the end of Rodgers career with the Packers looming.

2 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Gute found no starters from last years draft yet. That's not very good.  The 2018 draft class was just ok and 2019 better. This will be an extremely important draft year for Gute. He must do better immediately than he did with Love, Dillon and Deguara. No time to get cute and risky like the Love pick, not with the end of Rodgers career with the Packers looming.

If Dillon, Martin, Runyan all start Week 1 this year, does that change your calculus?

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Do you see this as a realistic option? Can GB meet the cap number without touching Rodgers deal?

IMO, I'd love to see one more strong run at a Super Bowl, but after this season you'd have to assume that the team is spent and it's time to get started rebuilding.

Yes, they could reach it.

The question is "at what cost?"

What do you do if Rodgers threatens to hold out, or even God forbid, pulls a Deshaun Watson. 

22 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

If Dillon, Martin, Runyan all start Week 1 this year, does that change your calculus?

Dillon will definitely start and he was a very good pick. Martin seems to be serviceable not great. Runyan could definitely be a starter someday but I've read nothing that indicates he will be a starter this year, have you? My point is yes kids are drafted and need development but you want to get 1 or 2 immediate starters out of every draft ideally. 

Wondering when the NFL is going to officially announce the actual salary cap number. We're 2 weeks away from the start of the league year, and I would imagine a lot of teams are holding off on moves, cuts, restructures, etc. until they get that official number. 

53 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

I think you have unrealistic expectations concerning rookies joining a team that just competed in the NFCCG.

In 2005, only Nick Collins started from that draft class.  Arguably the best draft class TT had.

This past year, Runyan started.  Krys Barnes started games.  Martin started games.  Deguara played and started a game when he was healthy.  Dillon had the Titans game.

I'm trying to think what position will be open this year for a rookie to take.  Or start.

No offensive skill positions.  Maybe center.

Doubt any DL comes in and starts over Keke, Lowry, Lancaster.

Probably a corner.  No safety.  Maybe ILB.  Certainly not at OLB.

I think you are looking for guys who can contribute if needed.  And our last draft class did.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes, they could reach it.

The question is "at what cost?"

What do you do if Rodgers threatens to hold out, or even God forbid, pulls a Deshaun Watson. 

That's where I'm at too. It seems almost impossible to restructure the rest of the team and basically tell Rodgers you want him ready to leave whenever his play slips.

17 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Your recency bias is showing. The Aaron Rodgers pick alone vaults TT far over Gutekunst as of now. 

Not to Mention Bak, Jennings, Nelson, Clay,Davante, Finley, Collins, Tramon, Shields, Bulaga, Woodson Via Free Agency etc etc etc

Edited by Arthur Penske

I'm not so sure that the two GM's aren't similar in their first 3 years.  I just started that thread.

TT's first pick.  Rodgers.  Gutes.  Alexander.

It gets scary after that, concerning their second draft.  That 2006 draft for TT is pretty amazing.  And the 2019 draft for Gute is looking every bit as good, if not better.

6 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Not to Mention Bak, Jennings, Nelson, Clay,Davante, Finley, Collins, Tramon, Shields, Bulaga, Woodson Via Free Agency etc etc etc

Again, his early years of drafting WAS really good.  His last number of years is where he starting going down hill and the team's roster suffered.     

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not so sure that the two GM's aren't similar in their first 3 years.  I just started that thread.

TT's first pick.  Rodgers.  Gutes.  Alexander.

It gets scary after that, concerning their second draft.  That 2006 draft for TT is pretty amazing.  And the 2019 draft for Gute is looking every bit as good, if not better.

Doesn't that answer your question?

One pulled a multi-year league MVP QB who will be a a franchise cornerstone for 15 years and led a superbowl winning team.

One pulled a guy who was a top 3 CB in his 3rd year. 

The latter is an awesome achievement. The former is franchise altering. 

Got to give TT massive credit for the Rodgers pick, and then his backing Rodgers when Favre wanted to return.  I wonder if Gute will make the same call when Love is ready to play?  I almost think he will, but the difference is that Rodgers will have more in the tank than Favre had, and Love isn't on the same level as Rodgers.  Oh who knows .. we'll see.

11 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

Dillon will definitely start and he was a very good pick. Martin seems to be serviceable not great. Runyan could definitely be a starter someday but I've read nothing that indicates he will be a starter this year, have you? My point is yes kids are drafted and need development but you want to get 1 or 2 immediate starters out of every draft ideally. 

Actually, a good draft is 3 starters out of it. A great draft is 4 starters. Beyond that is very rare, at least if you're a playoff team. Gute has done ok, but I wouldn't assert he has done great so far in any draft. This coming draft has depth at positions of need for the Packers. I hope he doesn't trade any picks earlier than round 5, and I wouldn't complain if he traded back from pick #29 unless a guy really high on their board fell. 

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 1