2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

1. Will sign with someone else.

2. Will sign with someone else.

They’ll all sign with someone else.  No help is coming.

Gute has shown previously he isn't afraid to go out on a limb for signing free agents ... he's no TT.  That being said,  dollars will be readjusted/players not resigned within the organization.  Gute isn't stupid, he knows the window on Rodgers being in GB.  He's already stated that there will be some dollars available to sign veteran players to help the team.  I believe he will; not sure how many or for how much but there will be some signing(s).      

42 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A Rodgers restructure/extension is either incoming or means that the team isn't willing to commit to him long term. If it's the former, it will lower the cap number. If it's the latter, this may be his last year.

You said yourself the minimum cap hit will be around 30 million.

30 million is nearly 17% of the cap.

No QB has ever won at a cap hit above 13%.

The average cap hit is 8%.

The Ravens, Bills, Browns or some Foles QB team is winning the Super Bowl this year.

Not even Brady will be able to compete.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You said yourself the minimum cap hit will be around 30 million.

30 million is nearly 17% of the cap.

No QB has ever won at a cap hit above 13%.

The average cap hit is 8%.

The Ravens, Bills, Browns or some Foles QB team is winning the Super Bowl this year.

Not even Brady will be able to compete.

This is probably the year to throw that theory out the window 

The 13.1% theory assumes constant cap growth for teams not paying their QBs to be able to fill out their roster with expensive veterans. With that not being the case, we could very well be in an entirely different world.

+++

But that wasn't really my point. My point was that you should be hoping the team doesn't restructure Rodgers. The longer that goes without happening, the better chances are that you get your cheap rookie QB earlier. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

^Honestly I’m hoping for a restructure.

Aaron Rodgers, Z, Gary, Savage, Alexander, Kenny, Adrian, Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Adams, MVS, Tonyan, Dillon, new defensive coordinator boost...

This team is built to win a Super Bowl right now with the right moves.

We’re still counting on Love being good.

Rodgers isn’t leaving this year.

Great first round quarterbacks extend after year 4.

Love won’t win a Super Bowl his first year as a starter.

That gives us a 1 year window with Love.

I take a one year window with Rodgers this year over a 1 year window with Love three years from now.

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

1. Will sign with someone else.

2. Will sign with someone else.

They’ll all sign with someone else.  No help is coming.

9 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Your TT scars are inflamed.

Take some ibuprofin and read up on Jurrell Casey.

The definition of wish...... feel or express a strong desire or hope for something that is not easily attainable; want something that cannot or probably will not happen.

27 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

If both Jones and Linsley go, what doo you think the plan is this off season? Who are some guys you think we will look at? 

I think there was a reason Gute selected three IOLmen in the last draft. If he hits on just Runyan, the line will be Turner (Bak starts on PUP), Runyon, Jenkins, Patrick, ???

With Stepaniak, Hanson, and others as reserve IOLmen, I'm predicting Gute will be looking at OTs early in the draft. 

Also Dillion was drafted to protect against the loss of Jones. Gute will probably be looking for depth at RB in the mid-rounds.

Within a couple weeks, "the plan" about free agency, the salary cap, the new tv contract, player cuts and surprising trades will be exploding like cold popcorn seeds in red hot butter. But the contrarian in me does pause for a moment or two. How much, if anything, should some lesser known players already on the team figure in as possible replacements?

Sadly, it looks like Aaron Jones may well be gone after being franchise tagged and traded for a fourth round pick. But am I way off base thinking there is a decent chance Mike Weber, a 5'10", 211 lb. halfback from Ohio State silently sitting in the background could be in the mix for playing time? Weber was a pretty good Big Ten Thumper for the Buckeyes a few years ago, and he runs north/south like LaFluer wants. And another guy, although quite a stretch, is Patrick Taylor, a 6' 2", 217 lb. back who has the size to compete for Jamaal Williams slot.

Three other names at least worth a little consideration are Yosh NijmanJake Hanson and Simon Stepaniak. True, Nijman has done almost nothing so far, but at 6'7" and 314 lbs with surprising quicks for his size, maybe there is a chance he has developed enough to play some right tackle? We do have a really good o-line coach. And perhaps Hanson has been brought along too? At 6'4" and nearly 300 lbs., he has decent size for a center. His presence on the team fits the model of drafting mid to later round lineman. There was some love for Stepaniak when he was drafted, despite the fact his selection came with the knowledge he would have to recover from a serious injury. I would mention Jon Runyan too, but he already is a fairly proven commodity.

Hey, even Dominique Daffney showed a little something at flex tight end.... Then again, maybe I am whistling in the wind. Hope springs eternal, doesn't it?

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Gute has shown previously he isn't afraid to go out on a limb for signing free agents ... he's no TT.  That being said,  dollars will be readjusted/players not resigned within the organization.  Gute isn't stupid, he knows the window on Rodgers being in GB.  He's already stated that there will be some dollars available to sign veteran players to help the team.  I believe he will; not sure how many or for how much but there will be some signing(s).      

This tired myth again? TT signed FA’s when money was available. Difference is, he had to deal with 5 straight offseasons of a flat-cap (‘08 thru ‘13) instead of a +10m every year. As soon as it jumped, they signed Peppers. Gute hasn’t gone out on any more limbs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

If both Jones and Linsley go, what doo you think the plan is this off season? Who are some guys you think we will look at? 

Heard Kirwan on Sirius XM talk about draftable centers.  He said there were 5 draftable guys.  We've done well mining centers in the draft.  Flanagan, Wells, Tretter, Linsley.  I'm sure we will look for one later in the draft with smarts.  And if not, we have Jenkins who was a very good looking center in college, Hanson and Patrick on the roster.

Jones will be missed for his big play ability.  But he's a RB.  We will be fine.  My guess is that we will take one in the mid rounds, and we will see who looks good in camp.  We have some interesting guys on the roster now with Williams, Weber and Taylor.  RB's aren't hard to find.  But clearly there is no plug and play for what you lose with Jones.

The free agency plan is simple.  We have no money and will sit and watch the first 2-3 waves of free agency happen.  Then we will shop for value.

And that will happen after we free up some money by extending a few guys like Z and 'Vante.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This is probably the year to throw that theory out the window 

The 13.1% theory assumes constant cap growth for teams not paying their QBs to be able to fill out their roster with expensive veterans. With that not being the case, we could very well be in an entirely different world.

+++

But that wasn't really my point. My point was that you should be hoping the team doesn't restructure Rodgers. The longer that goes without happening, the better chances are that you get your cheap rookie QB earlier. 

Noting what Rodgers salary does every year from now on is why Love was drafted. Rodgers turned it around in 2020 and player like Aaron Rodgers of 2015 instead of Aaron Rodgers of 2018.  Trade Love to the Steelers for Claypool and move on. 

• Like 1

Try to resign Williams and then draft a back in the mid rounds preferably one who is also a receiving threat. 

They would probably role with Patrick at center unless Hansen comes out of nowhere or we draft someone else. If they draft an OT early and Runyan can improve to take a starting spot, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see Jenkins at C for at least one year. While I wouldn't love that, A line of Bahk, Runyan, Jenkins, Turner, Rookie OT could be the best 5.

Not much. OT is the biggest need IMO. A WR and RB will be drafted.  Ten draft picks. Have to get some hits.

MLF, Rodgers, Adams, Dillon, and a solid OL should be good enough to win.  The defense has to be fixed. It's easy to look around the league and find guys on the offensive side of the ball that would be good fits and exciting to think about. Those are luxuries that won't matter if the defense still blows

Edited by cannondale

2 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

This tired myth again? TT signed FA’s when money was available. Difference is, he had to deal with 5 straight offseasons of a flat-cap (‘08 thru ‘13) instead of a +10m every year. As soon as it jumped, they signed Peppers. Gute hasn’t gone out on any more limbs. 

LOL ... Gute signed more in 1 year than TT did in 10.  Let's face it, TT was a draft and develop guy - period.  Nothing wrong with that at all but he didn't fill any holes when those draft picks didn't pan out.  No myth .. just what it was.