Justin Jefferson: Year Two

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

What will astonish a lot of folks (myself included) is that Jefferson has now accomplished something Randy Moss never did as a Viking.  Only Cris Carter and Jake Reed ever won NFC Offensive Player of the Month as Vikings' WRs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Cousins’ QBR is 92.1 when targeting Jefferson. Thank you Philly. 

In a back porch conversation setting, I’d love to ask Spielman and Zimmer who they were talking about taking if Philadelphia had drafted Jefferson. 

I certainly don't think they would have taken Reagor...but it's not out of the realm of possibility that they might have considered drafting Love and groomed him to be Kirk's replacement.  My money though is that they would have taken Gladney there instead of trading back and taking him later...and then we'd be complaining a lot now based on what happened with him.

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I certainly don't think they would have taken Reagor...but it's not out of the realm of possibility that they might have considered drafting Love and groomed him to be Kirk's replacement.  My money though is that they would have taken Gladney there instead of trading back and taking him later...and then we'd be complaining a lot now based on what happened with him.

That’s kinda my thinking as well. 

I must say against the Steelers he had some bad drops, a few were inaccurate passes by Kirk but some were spot on and he dropped it under contact or dropped it in fear of getting contact.  Kind of disappointing, targeted 15 times only caught 7 of them and that is I believe the worst ratio of catch to target he has had his entire two year career.  So not a great showing for him against the Steelers.

He will need to get more physical and tough, more able to take contact.  If Diontae Johnson on the Steelers who is only 183 pounds can make contested catches under contact Jefferson should be able to as well.  That is the one major part of his game he really needs to improve on, being able to go vertical and go get the football and more importantly catch the football while being contacted and hit.

• Like 2

Thielen coming back probably against the Rams might stop Jefferson from getting the record, but there is no doubt in my mind that he's our best WR ever since Moss left.

Thielen and Diggs are still very good, Sidney Rice was outstanding in 2009, and Percy Harvin was electric, but I'd still take Jefferson over all of them.

On 12/10/2021 at 4:06 PM, SemperFeist said:

Jefferson needs 345 yards, with 4 games remaining, to set the franchise’s single season receiving yard record. 

you're setting your sights sort of low, son. there's a bigger picture out there....

Jefferson needs fewer yards than that in setting an all time NFL record for most receiving yards in the first two years of a player's career. the current record holder is Odell Beckham, with Randy Moss in second place. if JJ can do it within 16 games this year, there will be no question of his dominance.

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

you're setting your sights sort of low, son. there's a bigger picture out there....

Jefferson needs fewer yards than that in setting an all time NFL record for most receiving yards in the first two years of a player's career. the current record holder is Odell Beckham, with Randy Moss in second place. if JJ can do it within 16 games this year, there will be no question of his dominance.

So much easier to pick up yards now compared to in the past.  Still a good stat to have. Does any site reliably have adjusted yards over average (for past & current) WR. That would stand a true test of dominance compared to his peers/rule changes

Edited by CriminalMind

• 2 weeks later...

History is on the horizon for Justin Jefferson, who is just 21 yards away from passing Odell Beckham Jr. for the most receiving yards for any player after two seasons. 

Jefferson's 1,400 receiving yards set the NFL record for most receiving yards by a rookie wideout in the Super Bowl era, becoming the first wide receiver to earn All-Pro honors in his rookie season since Randy Moss in 1998. And he has found a way for his encore performance to be even better, ranking amongst the best wide receivers in his second season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/justin-jefferson-by-the-numbers-vikings-star-wideout-set-to-pass-odell-beckham-jr-for-best-start-by-wr-ever/