Super Bowl Thread: Yeah it sucks we're not in it...but they're gonna play anyway.

Leader

8 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

I'm sorry but when watching Brady play the QB position there is nothing that makes me think that I'm watching the best to ever do it at that position

Brady isn't the best to play the position but he is the best when it comes to winning.   We will most likely never see another player with this kind of success again in our lifetime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

You had me till the very last sentence.  Totally agree but one must remember that TB has SUCKED for a long time to get to this point.  Top 10 draft picks for years finally came to wins.  Put that with some very timely free agent signings/trades and Bingo ... super bowl.  I'd like to see some urgency from the Packers to get that ring with Rodgers playing like he did this year.  Got about 3 years to get it done ... DO IT!

Great point!  people fail to realize that TB had a lot of lean years. That's another way to build a championship roster.

Edited by St Vince

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Buccaneers get Wirfs and Winfield.

Packers got Love and Dillon.

I hate football so much.

I legitimately hate football. 

Worse, I hate fans.  Going to be a lot of Tom Brady **** sucking for someone who has "won" 7/10 Super Bowls when his defense has allowed an average of 20.3 points in those Super Bowls. 

Ultimately I shouldn't care.  I'm not a QB fan, I'm a Packer fan.  Packers are tied for 5th in Super Bowl history in Super Bowl wins.  So really, as long as the Packers win 3 more by the time I die and the Steelers don't win any, the Patriots don't win any, the Niners win only one and the Cowboys win only one, I shouldn't care.

But I do.

And it's clear to me now why Brady picked the Buccaneers.  Apparently they were the #6 DVOA defense last year.  Makes sense.  You're gonna be close to the bottom in points allowed when your QB has 30 interceptions or more.

But the real reason Brady went to Tampa Bay is because Tampa Bay will go all in every year and they have a defense.

It's bull**** the Packers don't see this.

It's bull**** almost nobody sees this.

This crap makes me want to quit football because I know the Packers will never have the defense for Rodgers and I know Rodgers will always be paid too much cap percentage for the defense.

It's literally impossible for the Packers to win a Super Bowl next year.

Don't forget. The Packers scored three TDs and two FGs on that TB defense. THAT IS NO SMALL ACCOMPLISHMENT. And they did it with Wagner and Patrick starting on the O-line, and Bak on IR.

Don't forget. MLF is only going into is 3rd year. What I like about him is he is smart and improves every year. Gute will bring in a RT and Bak will return before the playoffs. MVS has improved dramatically and we have Funchess coming back. Jenkins, Runyon, and Stepaniak give us a solid IOL group. Replace Jones in the draft, get that RT, and this offense is capable of dropping 30+ on that TB defense. 

Don't forget. We were one blown defensive call at the end of the half from limiting Brady to 24 points. And probably a trip to the Super Bowl. MLF has taken steps to correct that by letting Pettine walk. We can argue the merits of Joe Barry, but MLF has not ignored the problem. Gute and MLF have had two chances to see what having dominant players in the middle of a defense can do for a defense. Gute has already said that he wants more production out of the ILBs. He will follow through. Upgrade the defense through the draft (DL, CB, ILB) and I truly believe the Packers go into next season a top 3 team in the NFC. 

[P.S. You're right. I don't think the Packers went all in this year. I think they went into the season thinking Rodgers would continue to regress due to age. They drafted Love to replace him. BUT Rodgers surprised them. Rodgers' MVP year got them to within one play of going to the Super Bowl. They won't make the same mistake next year. They will go all in.]

As awful as the refs were last night (the Bucs were gifted 18 points on phantom calls and weren't called for mugging KC receivers all game, including a guy putting his hands on Hill to get the first INT and no flag, as usual), those backup OTs gave Mahomes no chance. I knew TB's front 7 were gonna pose a problem for them, but my God, I don't think anybody saw it being this bad. Kinda hard to move the ball when he's running for his life almost every snap and his receivers are getting mugged all game. It's a miracle Patty was "only" sacked 3 times.

But of course, it's also possible that the:

EtqpofVWgAA68C-?format=jpg&name=small

completely debilitated Mahomes and Reid at that point.

And that's the thing: when playing Brady, 95 times out of 100, you gotta be prepared to play the refs, too, and they simply weren't. They made no secret of who they wanted to win last night.

58 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's the GOAT .. get over it.

What sets him apart as the GOAT over his contemporaries?

Must be the way he inspires his defenses to allow 12 total points in two Super Bowls over two #2 (by DVOA) offenses. Hello, throw in them stifling the greatest show on turf and that's 32 points over three Super Bowls. 

He also probably invoked the fear that caused an all-time collapse by the Falcons. Or inexplicably calling a pass on the goal line with Marshawn Lynch at RB. Or forcing 4 turnovers to win by 3 points. 

He's one of the greatest, but he's also proof how "wins as a QB stat" is an incredibly simplistic barometer for who is the "GOAT".

Edited by Striker
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Striker said:

What sets him apart as the GOAT over his contemporaries?

Must be the way he inspires his defenses to allow 12 total points in two Super Bowls over two #2 (by DVOA) offenses. Hello, throw in them stifling the greatest show on turf and that's 32 points over three Super Bowls. 

He also probably invoked the fear that caused an all-time collapse by the Falcons. Or inexplicably calling a pass on the goal line with Marshawn Lynch at RB. Or forcing 4 turnovers to win by 3 points. 

He's one of the greatest, but he's also proof how "wins as a QB stat" is an incredibly simplistic barometer for who is the "GOAT".

It's always going to be subjective, but it's about winning the big one.  He gets it done routinely, and now it doesn't even matter what team it's with. To leave his team of 20 years and win it all in his first with a new team is pretty crazy.  There was always this .. hey, it's got to be Bill Belichick.  Well, he kind of proved that it's as much him as anything.  There is something about the way the guys goes about his business that turns teams into winners.  Maybe it's the crack of dawn practices with his teammates in the offseason .. maybe it's the "We Will Win" text messages he's sending out to the players all the time.  He's just a winner .. bottom line, and his track record is above reproach.

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's always going to be subjective, but it's about winning the big one.  He gets it done routinely, and now it doesn't even matter what team it's with. To leave his team of 20 years and win it all in his first with a new team is pretty crazy.  There was always this .. hey, it's got to be Bill Belichick.  Well, he kind of proved that it's as much him as anything.  There is something about the way the guys goes about his business that turns teams into winners.  Maybe it's the crack of dawn practices with his teammates in the offseason .. maybe it's the "We Will Win" text messages he's sending out to the players all the time.  He's just a winner .. bottom line, and his track record is above reproach.

Obviously not because no one is ever going to call him the best quarterback ever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

I don't hate the guy but I'm weary of him.  Yes, he is the best but after a while I get tired of hearing about him.  Give him his due but he isn't the only story in the NFL.  For instance I can't watch golf if Tiger is in a tournament because even if Tiger is several shots off the lead with no chance to win they show every shot he takes while practically ignoring another guy making a move for the lead.   Yes, let's celebrate greatness but don't overdue it.

I think you'd better get used to it Pugger....With Brady's ability to recruit and get people to buy into his winning way, the team could be New England dynasty part 2....

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan

2 hours ago, KManX89 said:

As awful as the refs were last night (the Bucs were gifted 18 points on phantom calls and weren't called for mugging KC receivers all game, including a guy putting his hands on Hill to get the first INT and no flag, as usual), those backup OTs gave Mahomes no chance. I knew TB's front 7 were gonna pose a problem for them, but my God, I don't think anybody saw it being this bad. Kinda hard to move the ball when he's running for his life almost every snap and his receivers are getting mugged all game. It's a miracle Patty was "only" sacked 3 times.

But of course, it's also possible that the:

completely debilitated Mahomes and Reid at that point.

And that's the thing: when playing Brady, 95 times out of 100, you gotta be prepared to play the refs, too, and they simply weren't. They made no secret of who they wanted to win last night.

IF the Chiefs could have went into halftime with the score 14-6 and came out kicking the FG, they would have been mentally better off with a five point deficit instead of twelve....That however wouldn't have increased their opportunity to win the game...As you stated, no other QB in SB history has been so hounded by a defensive front four....