Where do the 2020 Buccaneers rank among SB Champions?

CP3MVP

27 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean I don't think it's the main reason you should look at when ranking SB winners but not all SB paths are equal. The Chiefs last year for instance got the Texans and Titans at home. It's pretty fair to say that NO and GB on the road is quite a bit more difficult than that and those wins are more impressive.

I get what you are saying, but this argument is flawed because it holds it against a team for having had a better regular season record.  Yea of course the Bucs are going to have more impressive postseason runs than a team that finished as a #1 seed.  It is illogical to use that as reasoning for them being a better Super Bowl team, because it literally holds it against whatever team was better in the postseason.  

Regular season performance matters.  It isn't the end all, be all, yes, but neither is their postseason run.  Otherwise would you say the 2020 Bucs were better than the 1989 49ers?  Of course not, despite the fact the Bucs had a more impressive playoff run (although the way people are talking about it, I feel like it's being viewed as more dominant than it was; it was a great run, but it isn't like they were firing on all cylinders throughout; they went super cold on offense in the 2nd half of both the Packers and WFT game).  

IMO, I don't really view the Bucs that much differently than I do the 2010 Packers.  Which isn't a bad thing, but they are very similar teams as far as how the season played out.  Both had a lot of talent and probably underachieved their win/loss (Packers went what, 14-2 or 15-1 the next season?).  Both had to go on the road to win every game, well the Bucs were at home for the Super Bowl.  Both had 1 dominant victory and 3 impressive ones.  Sure, maybe the Bucs have a more balanced defense, but Packers were still 2nd in points allowed and probably the best secondary (or close to it) in the league at the time.  What makes this years Bucs team that much better than the 2010 Packers?  

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I get what you are saying, but this argument is flawed because it holds it against a team for having had a better regular season record.  Yea of course the Bucs are going to have more impressive postseason runs than a team that finished as a #1 seed.  It is illogical to use that as reasoning for them being a better Super Bowl team, because it literally holds it against whatever team was better in the postseason.  

Regular season performance matters.  It isn't the end all, be all, yes, but neither is their postseason run.  Otherwise would you say the 2020 Bucs were better than the 1989 49ers?  Of course not, despite the fact the Bucs had a more impressive playoff run (although the way people are talking about it, I feel like it's being viewed as more dominant than it was; it was a great run, but it isn't like they were firing on all cylinders throughout; they went super cold on offense in the 2nd half of both the Packers and WFT game).  

IMO, I don't really view the Bucs that much differently than I do the 2010 Packers.  Which isn't a bad thing, but they are very similar teams as far as how the season played out.  Both had a lot of talent and probably underachieved their win/loss (Packers went what, 14-2 or 15-1 the next season?).  Both had to go on the road to win every game, well the Bucs were at home for the Super Bowl.  Both had 1 dominant victory and 3 impressive ones.  Sure, maybe the Bucs have a more balanced defense, but Packers were still 2nd in points allowed and probably the best secondary (or close to it) in the league at the time.  What makes this years Bucs team that much better than the 2010 Packers?  

The Bucs were 2nd in SRS for the regular season, FWIW. They played a pretty tough schedule and had a pretty high Point differential.

Nobody is trying to say the Bucs are the 1989 49ers. But if you were to create a hypothetical scenario in which this years' Bucs could play other SB teams, I'd take the Bucs over 60-70% of them.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Jotun_Fan said:

Right when the playoffs started, how many posters here thought they'd be putting the 2020 bucs as the 2nd best (or 3rd best) team of the decade? Note: this isn't an attempt to discredit them, it's just how quickly opinions can change in a matter of weeks.

Prisoners of the moment. No team that was a wildcard and 11-5 should be in this conversation. Sure they won, but I don’t think they were even the best team In the league. So yeah they aren’t in this conversation 

Edited by Kip Smithers

6 hours ago, Chargers said:

Their defense is highly underrated but I'm not sure I can get them in the top 5 of SB teams. Offense had too many weapons not to be a 2013 Broncos/2007 Patriots. Defense while fantastic isn't quite 2015 Broncos let alone 2013 Seahawks. I have at six, last year's KC team coming back from double digit deficits in every playoff game is more impressive than simply winning all road playoff games(which isn't all that special '05 Steelers and '10 Packers were similar)

Top 6 for me in the last 15+ seasons.

I like how you named 2 teams in the last 50 years winning all road playoff games then imply that it’s not that special 

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah, this defense doesn’t even touch the 2015 Broncos. 

Best Defenses to win a Super Bowl in the 2000’s:

1) 2000 Ravens

2) 2002 Buccaneers

3) 2015 Broncos

4) 2013 Seahawks

5) 2008 Steelers

6) 2020 Buccaneers

7) 2003 Patriors

8 ) 2017 Eagles

9) 2016 Patriots

10) 2004 Patriots

The Broncos defense was definitely not better than the LOB, not even close.

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Prisoners of the moment. No team that was a wildcard and 11-5 should be in this conversation. Sure they won, but I don’t think they were even the best team In the league. So yeah they aren’t in this conversation 

The 2020 Bucs team are not the first to get on a roll late in the season.  But we do tend to look at a team more favorably soon after they win it all.  Perhaps down the line we can look take another look at this team and compare them to other SB winners.

8 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

If you read the post I was replying to he said that this years Bucs defense was the best in recent memory. Not of the 2000's.

yea no way 2020 Bucs D beats 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs or 2015 Broncos for that matter, those Ds were on a different level

9 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I mean... we're comparing them to other Super Bowl winners, so it isn't like they hold a special advantage in that regard over other teams.  They all got hot at the right time.  It only makes sense to factor in regular season performance.  

All im saying is, you cant put other SB winning teams ahead of others based off regular season win totals, you have to look at the quality of the opponents faced in the playoffs and the road they took to win it all, not just "Oh this SB team was better in the regular season than this SB team so that makes them better"

8 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean I don't think it's the main reason you should look at when ranking SB winners but not all SB paths are equal. The Chiefs last year for instance got the Texans and Titans at home. It's pretty fair to say that NO and GB on the road is quite a bit more difficult than that and those wins are more impressive.

I don't necessarily think regular season performance is the end all, especially in the case of this team. Here is a copy and paste of a Tweet from some Beatwriter:

Bruce Arians said when he and the Bucs went to New Orleans in Week 1, he and Tom Brady were having conversations like: "What the hell is that play? What does that word mean?" Gave Brady a ton of credit for learning system and being patient.

It was pretty obvious in the case of this team that it took them awhile to click due to Brady coming to a brand new team and not really having a preseason to get acclimated because of Covid. They also had Vea out of most of the season who came back for the playoffs and was one of the most important players on the defense down the stretch. They also signed AB late in the season who burned Mathieu on a pretty significant TD yesterday. 

you hit the nail on the head my man 👍

5 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

lol i can taste the salt in your post bro

gtfo arent even in the conversation 🤣

regular season doesnt mean jack, what matters is who won & how they won, if anything its more impressive to win the Super Bowl as a wildcard team than a #1 seed imo

10 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

nah, I dont like this angle for an argument

It is BECAUSE OF how we got to Super Bowl LV (beating NO + GB) and BECAUSE OF how we beat KC (dominated) that opinions have changed

and that is why I think we are one of the top teams of the last decade plus

This how I see it:

1) 2013 Seahawks

2) 2020 Bucs

3) 2016 Patriots

4)2019 Chiefs

5)2015 Broncos

6)2014 Patriots

7)2018 Patriots

😎 2011 Giants

9)2017 Eagles

10)2012 Ravens

i dont think taking regular season records into account is a thing, what matters is who won it all and how hot that team was and who they beat to get there

also, 2020 Tampa is easily the best/most talented team TB12 has been a part of EXCEPT for the 2007 Pats but unfortunately they lost in 07 so I say 2020 TB takes the cake ;)  I mean im not an expert or anything just my very humble opinion 

It wasn't really an argument,IDK where I stand on this either way. IMO I think lists like this for football are going to differ so much between people because football seasons are small sample sizes and really short in terms of minutes played... Postseason especially. A team that goes 16-0 still has their fate decided each round in one game that is constituted of roughly 12 minutes of action. The other major US sports use 7 game series and a regular season consisting of 5x or 10x as many games.