Hindsight -- Draft 2020

James Lofton

This was probably the worst draft since 2015. The problem in 2020 vs 2019 draft is that we didn't have someone save us. In 2019 Gute really wanted Drew Lock in the 2nd round but John Elway bless his heart swooped in and took him before Gute screwed the pick up. We instead drafted Jenkins and the rest is history. If we had someone to save us in 2020 this would've been an entirely different draft for us. Gute wanting to draft Lock, a guy who will probably end up being a career back up in the 2nd round doesn’t give me much confidence in Love. He's showing he can't evaluate QB's that well.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

This was probably the worst draft since 2015. The problem in 2020 vs 2019 draft is that we didn't have someone save us. In 2019 Gute really wanted Drew Lock in the 2nd round but John Elway bless his heart swooped in and took him before Gute screwed the pick up. We instead drafted Jenkins and the rest is history. If we had someone to save us in 2020 this would've been an entirely different draft for us. Gute wanting to draft Lock, a guy who will probably end up being a career back up in the 2nd round doesn’t give me much confidence in Love. He's showing he can't evaluate QB's that well.

I got to give you credit man, your sarcasm is so advanced. If I were to make a post with that level of absurdity, I'd be worried that a lot of people would take me at face value and conclude that my truly satirical post was actually genuine and therefore the worst take ever posted on this board.

Honestly, I would encourage you to add an asterisk and a disclaimer at the bottom of your post. This is the crew that still argues with @Outpost31on specifics and not thesis's, so your faith in our intelligence is sadly misplaced.

• Like 5

Last night the NFL Network ran the MN game in week 1.   I was very impressed with Deguara's blocking and he caught a pass in that game.  It is a shame he got hurt in only his 4th game.  If Love is the QB of the future, Dillon continues to get better and Deguara returns and plays well I'd say the 2020 draft was pretty good.  Of course you really can't grade a draft for a couple of years afterwards.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/reviewing-the-packers-2020-draft-class-after-one-year/

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Last night the NFL Network ran the MN game in week 1.   I was very impressed with Deguara's blocking and he caught a pass in that game.  It is a shame he got hurt in only his 4th game.  If Love is the QB of the future, Dillon continues to get better and Deguara returns and plays well I'd say the 2020 draft was pretty good.  Of course you really can't grade a draft for a couple of years afterwards.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/reviewing-the-packers-2020-draft-class-after-one-year/

It's incredibly hard to judge a draft class after just 1 season, which is why most say that you need to wait at least 3 years before you judge a draft class.  But this is one of most TBD class I've ever seen.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's incredibly hard to judge a draft class after just 1 season, which is why most say that you need to wait at least 3 years before you judge a draft class.  But this is one of most TBD class I've ever seen.

It is certainly an unusual one. But it's not like any of the picks are raising red flags as far as being a bust. None of these picks were expected to step right in and start, which should be looked at as a sign of strength. As you suggested, this draft will test the theory that years 2 and 3 are the most important years to judge the development of the draft. I will say that Dillon, Deguara and Runyan all showed what you're hoping to see when they had a chance to play.  

• Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 8:37 PM, crfalker05 said:

To humor the OP, the answer is Winfield Jr. Maybe it matters, maybe it doesn’t. 

Not a poor choice, in that it marginally helps GB - Winfield, if not starting, would at least create an abundance at S for GB with Amos and Savage - and hurts TB. Does Winfield make the pick that Redmond dropped? Probably. 

I'm not ready to give Gute a pass on this one. It's also not wise to pinpoint just one draft. Re-wind to the 2 S.F games, the SD game, and the weaknesses the Packers have had pretty much annually, and a fair question can be "when is that garbage gonna get fixed ?"  Was Keke supposed to be the answer to transform the DL from trash to treasure ? Were the likes of Ty Summers and Kamal Martin gonna be the answer to bringing our LB group out of the 70's ? The Packers score 48, the opponent scores 49. The Packers score 28, the opponent scores 31. And it never really looks all that hard tor the opponent.  I'm talking playoff games here. Where you can rarely get by with just saying "go fetch me a win Aaron."  It's Gutes job to fix the issues that need fixing to get a ring. Rings are the goal, per his words. If Dillon and Deguara lead this team to the Super Bowl, I'll eat my words. But they won't. Fix the problem. Wirfs and Winfield fixed problems. Martin and Garvin did not. Keke and Summers did not. Burks and Looney did not

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

I'm not ready to give Gute a pass on this one. It's also not wise to pinpoint just one draft. Re-wind to the 2 S.F games, the SD game, and the weaknesses the Packers have had pretty much annually, and a fair question can be "when is that garbage gonna get fixed ?"  Was Keke supposed to be the answer to transform the DL from trash to treasure ? Were the likes of Ty Summers and Kamal Martin gonna be the answer to bringing our LB group out of the 70's ? The Packers score 48, the opponent scores 49. The Packers score 28, the opponent scores 31. And it never really looks all that hard tor the opponent.  I'm talking playoff games here. Where you can rarely get by with just saying "go fetch me a win Aaron."  It's Gutes job to fix the issues that need fixing to get a ring. Rings are the goal, per his words. If Dillon and Deguara lead this team to the Super Bowl, I'll eat my words. But they won't. Fix the problem. Wirfs and Winfield fixed problems. Martin and Garvin did not. Keke and Summers did not. Burks and Looney did not

Agree with some of this.  That being said, Wirfs and Winfield didn't win the game for TB .. Bak getting hurt at a very bad time won the game for them.  With him at LT, they win.  I don't think there was a rookie drafted where the Packers picked that would have made any difference in the NFC championship game.  Pure and simple .. a dumb *** mistake before half and a fumble after half did them in.  Pretty hard to "find" that one stud player in the draft to get you over the top when you are continually picking in the very high 20's.  Hoping you'll have to eat your words down the road .. time will tell.

Who were we gonna draft to play DT? You can look for DT in the draft after our 26th pick and you'll see there's no one who looks really promising (unless you think Madubuikes 1 sack and 2 TFL are impressive).

Who were we going to draft as a starting ILB? Patrick sub50 PFF grade Queen? Should we have spent 10M+/per year on a decent ILB? The truth is that the combination of Barnes/Martin was pretty decent for a couple rookies.

The board fell the worst possible way for us. You can complain about who we drafted, but whining about not getting a DT/ILB IN THIS DRAFT looks absurd. I can get behind complaining about not drafting a single CB/WR in the entire draft, which I hated at the moment. Even about not getting an OT. But DT???

• Like 1

If the standard is comparing our mid round rookies with the best rookie in the class, you're going to be upset literally every year.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If the standard is comparing our mid round rookies with the best rookie in the class, you're going to be upset literally every year.

Just referencing the attempts to fix the obvious problem areas. If higher picks were used, I would have compared them. Or maybe they would no longer be problems. 

Edited by cannondale

16 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Who were we gonna draft to play DT? You can look for DT in the draft after our 26th pick and you'll see there's no one who looks really promising (unless you think Madubuikes 1 sack and 2 TFL are impressive).

Who were we going to draft as a starting ILB? Patrick sub50 PFF grade Queen? Should we have spent 10M+/per year on a decent ILB? The truth is that the combination of Barnes/Martin was pretty decent for a couple rookies.

The board fell the worst possible way for us. You can complain about who we drafted, but whining about not getting a DT/ILB IN THIS DRAFT looks absurd. I can get behind complaining about not drafting a single CB/WR in the entire draft, which I hated at the moment. Even about not getting an OT. But DT???

I clearly stated you can't pinpoint one draft. This hasn't been a 1 year thing

Edited by cannondale