JJ Watt signs with the Arizona Cardinals

.Buzz

49 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, I get the feeling that this Gambadoro guy is reporting on total money - and not guarenteed money.

A lot of people (blue check marks included) don't understand the distinction.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Watt wanted to go to a contender but turned down more money from the Colts and Browns who made playoffs last year for a team that will be fighting for 3rd in the division this year... I don't buy it. 

Good, you shouldn't buy it.

• Like 3

Remember: warm weather is much easier on an old man's joints. Going from warm Hou to colder climes is contra-indicated. Watt needed those other teams as leverage, but his body will do better in warm, dry AZ and he won't be as easy to double team with Chandler Jones next to him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Statistically speaking, the Cardinals had both a playoff-caliber offense and playoff defense.

Actually had the #3 red zone defense and a really great defense on 3rd-down, if I remember correctly. Makes sense when you consider that they had like 5 starting-caliber edge rushers. Their biggest weakness on defense by far was the IDL. Both penetration and gap integrity were really bad, and the defense was decimated by injury, so Joseph got creative and ran a lot of 0-6-5 fronts. It was a season where all of their top-5 IDL dealt with extended time missed with injuries, so getting those guys back and adding JJ Watt should be huge. On paper, their one weakness on defense is their lack of a corner that can handle true deep speed.

On offense, they continued to progress and had a top-12 scoring and yardage offense. And they should only get better, as all of the skill positions are incredibly young and literally every WR besides Hopkins missed multiple games with injuries. They need to add a secondary threat to the field, whether that's a #2 WR or a #1 TE.

People say that the 9ers dealt with a ton of injuries - and don't get me wrong, they did - but the Cardinals dealt with a ton, as well. Jordan Phillips missed half the season. Zach Allen missed a handful of games. Rashard Lawrence missed half the season. Leki Fotu missed 5 games. Corey Peters missed 7 games. Literally their entire IDL was dealing with injuries for most of the year. Their starting FS missed 11 games. Both backups missed at least 3 games with injury. Their #2 CB missed the season yet again. Their #3 CB missed multiple games. Their #4 CB missed 4 games. Freaking Chandler Jones missed 11 games. Dennis Gardeck, his talented replacement, got injured. Kennard missed 3 games.

On offense, their starting RT opted out of the season. Their starting RG missed a handful of games. Their starting C missed multiple games. All of their receivers besides Nuk missed multiple games. Their starting TE missed 7 games. Even Kyler got hurt and Chris Streveler had to play for extended time in the Cards' win-or-go-home final game of the season.

Like, yeah, the 49ers dealt with a ton of injuries. So did the Cardinals. So if people are saying that the 49ers are going to upgrade by getting healthy, then the same applies to the Cardinals. And the Cardinals have one of the youngest teams in the league, too, so there's some natural progression that should occur.

I know the Rams were the third youngest so I threw this to google and found this article:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2020-edition-falcons-jaguars-eagles/

Looks like the Cardinals were actually one of the older teams. I'm sure they can cut some older guys and will/could be younger next year.

Difference between the Niners and Cardinals is that when last healthy the Niners went to the Super Bowl.

Also, it really wasn't close:

Not sure how accurate but according to this the Cardinals were roughly the 5th healthiest team in the league last year.

In that final week 17 win or go home game, the Cardinals were facing the mighty John Wolford - for the entire game.

It just felt like last year was a huge missed opportunity for Arizona. The Niners had injuries, the Rams had horrific QB play, and Seattle had a historically bad defense for half the season. And the Cardinals went 2-4 in the division.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

So JJ thinks AZ is closer to a ring than the Browns, Colts and Titans?

Titans have the best offense and probably the best chance of the group - but remember - he asked for a release from Houston and Houston granted it. He may be done with the organization, but it ended up relatively good terms with them granting his release instead of trading him. So I can see him not wanting to go to a division rival.

As for the Browns vs the Cardinals - Browns are closer for sure, and if Ben doesn't come back, they are the second best team in that division no question - this is one reason why I was confused JJ didn't wait.

11 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Titans have the best offense and probably the best chance of the group - but remember - he asked for a release from Houston and Houston granted it. He may be done with the organization, but it ended up relatively good terms with them granting his release instead of trading him. So I can see him not wanting to go to a division rival.

It wouldn't be unprecedented - Andre Johnson played for the Colts and Titans before retiring. That's about the only player in franchise history that could make a claim to being as influential as Watt. 

I'm sure there are folks who wouldn't like it, but given this current trajectory, nobody is criticizing players for leaving to anywhere.

If anything - going to Arizona is probably more damning, given that DeAndre Hopkins has been very catty towards Houston on social media. There are some Texans fans who quickly turned on Hopkins once he started to talk against Houston on social media (I'm not, but there's a lot of people who are).

I think the only two spots fans were expecting were Green Bay or Pittsburgh - anything outside those two would get questioned.

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

As for the Browns vs the Cardinals - Browns are closer for sure, and if Ben doesn't come back, they are the second best team in that division no question - this is one reason why I was confused JJ didn't wait.

Why, if he left Houston on good terms, would that induce him to get out of that division?   I'm not getting what you are saying here.

Edited by Pugger

49 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It wouldn't be unprecedented - Andre Johnson played for the Colts and Titans before retiring. That's about the only player in franchise history that could make a claim to being as influential as Watt. 

I'm sure there are folks who wouldn't like it, but given this current trajectory, nobody is criticizing players for leaving to anywhere.

If anything - going to Arizona is probably more damning, given that DeAndre Hopkins has been very catty towards Houston on social media. There are some Texans fans who quickly turned on Hopkins once he started to talk against Houston on social media (I'm not, but there's a lot of people who are).

I think the only two spots fans were expecting were Green Bay or Pittsburgh - anything outside those two would get questioned.

Good point about Andre Johnson.

I thought he'd sign with us. Not too far from Arizona (many people seemed to think he'd go to the midwest), but I doubt he was going to get more money and props to him for taking it.

But we're better than Arizona and once we move money around cap situation will be similar to the Bills, Packers and Steelers (once they move money around too). But again, wasn't going to be that much, so I get it.

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Why, if he left Houston on good terms, would that induce him to get out of that division?   I'm not getting what you are saying here.

Possibly wouldn't want to play them twice a year. Sort of the opposite of Sherman - his tenure with Seattle ended somewhat poorly and he seemed like he wanted to play them twice a year.

Also as a long time Texan, I'm sure he dislikes their division rivals more than most other teams.

But ET mentioned Andre Johnson so I'm probably off base about that.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Good, you shouldn't buy it.

I think that the following happened (just my own opinion)

1. Arizona came with CLEARLY the best offer

2. JJ didn't really want to sign with them immediately/maybe at all, and had his people float the " other teams have offered $15-$16 million a year" in order to get those other teams to bite and try to land him.

3. Those other teams didn't come close to that amount, and he had "no choice" but to take the money grab.

For the record, I don't fault him for getting paid one bit, but I'm not going to feel bad for Captain America when he doesn't contend for a Super Bowl in Arizona either. It would have been a bad look for one of the faces of the league in the eyes of other players and the union to take that much less.

JMHO

I wouldn't say titans have the best offense out of the 3, they just lost their OC to Atlanta. What Arthur Smith did to revive Tannehill's career was surprising. I cant say for sure what the impact would be on that but titans are about to lose Jonnu Smith and Corey Davis on that offense that was #2 and #3 in receiving for them this past year. Not to mention they have a nut job for their 1st rd draft pick that is likely never going to show up. Granted he wasnt an impact in 2020 as he played like 5 snaps for the team but that is a huge blow as that was a need they filled and could essentially be a need for them moving forward too. Colts are losing TY Hilton but really that offense will still be intact and we can debate what Wentz will do but with that running attack and oline that protected Rivers Wentz has the best opportunity to succeed, it is just a matter of whether or not it will click for him.

I am with you on the concept of not going in to the division, but I guess the players dont value that as much as players use to. So if Colts/Titans did pay up more then Arizona in Guarantees and overall money with in the 2 years I could see Watt picking them over the Cardinals

Possibly wouldn't want to play them twice a year. Sort of the opposite of Sherman - his tenure with Seattle ended somewhat poorly and he seemed like he wanted to play them twice a year.

Also as a long time Texan, I'm sure he dislikes their division rivals more than most other teams.

But ET mentioned Andre Johnson so I'm probably off base about that.

If the Texans are the mess they appear to be one would think he'd want to face a team in disarray.  IMO the NFCW is a division with stiffer competition than the AFCS.  But unless someone asks and he is completely candid we may never know.

5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Let's be honest, the NFL is so damn hard to win a SB. Choosing your destination to chase a ring and what happens if your QB is lost for the season, like Dallas?

He made the right choice if he views the Cardinals as playoff contenders. And getting to live in Arizona is much nicer than Ohio, for example.

Some people in this thread make it seem like ring chasing in the NFL is easy like it is in the NBA. If you get bought out of your contract in the NBA your likely destinations are Lakers, Nets, Clippers. Maybe the Bucks, 76ers and Jazz if your brave. Maybe.

Bar hitching your wagon to Tom Brady theres so few garuntees in the NFL.

There a scenario where the Browns and Colts don't make the playoffs. (Wentz Sucks, Ravens get back to 2019 form, Steelers aren't as poor as everyone seems to project. Browns miss out on #6 or #7 due to the Herbert lead chargers and Raiders improving their defence).

Whilst the Bills should potentially easily win the AFC East again it's no sure thing and maybe the difference between the sun and Buffallo's weather alongside the money offered means he didn't want to go to the Bills.`

Doesn't help a lot of the "contenders" are cash strapped or really need to pay their own.