Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

15 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

My best advice is to not live in fear and if you are waiting for some sort of variant to not be around, that day may never come. This is how viruses work. Don’t look back on your life and think about how you short changed your kids birthday. 

Or he could look back and think, wow one birthday party probably wasnt worth my kid being on a vent for the rest of their life. 

Shrug GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xenos said:

When you say stupid ignorant things about others, prepare to be called out for it. And you’re welcome btw! It was my pleasure 😊 Just try not be so sensitive about it Bobby. 

Hardly sensitive. Just calling you out on your bull**** and what you think I'm saying that is "ignorant" really isn't. Maybe take some time to self-reflect and think you don't have it all figured out..... b/c you don't. Good news is, you can change but self-reflection is hard. Good luck, seems like you'll need it.

15 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Or he could look back and think, wow one birthday party probably wasnt worth my kid being on a vent for the rest of their life. 

Haha quite the extreme. There’s always a chance for sure. 

I’m a teacher so I’m exposed to a lot through the work day anyways. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

To each his or her own. I’m just providing my own viewpoint. I respect yours as well. For me personally, I have been working in person throughout this entire thing every single day and don’t have a choice. I think a lot of people don’t see the other side and have gotten to isolate themselves because they’ve had that option. So when a birthday party rolls around, I personally am used to being around people all day long, so it’s not something I’m going to think twice about. My perspective is that I’m not sure when this will end and people are going to get a different mindset, if a variant is the reason you aren’t going to be around people. There are always going to be variants. Masks and vaccinations are not going to change that. So, if you are going to choose to live the rest of your life in a cave, that’s totally your decision, but don’t expect the rest of us to follow suit.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

There are always going to be variants. Masks and vaccinations are not going to change that. 

I mean it could change that if everyone was on the same page, but asking everyone to be on the same page of anything these days is a near impossibility. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Hardly sensitive. Just calling you out on your bull**** and what you think I'm saying that is "ignorant" really isn't. Maybe take some time to self-reflect and think you don't have it all figured out..... b/c you don't. Good news is, you can change but self-reflection is hard. Good luck, seems like you'll need it.

Nice. You went from being insensitive to being overtly sensitive. I hope you favorite your post because it’s great advice for what you need to do going forward. Look in a mirror, self reflect, and think that you don’t have it all figured out.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

While it is true that the viral load is the same, I've seen experts say that that doesn't mean the transmission rate is the same. That is still unknown, last I saw.

That’s the million dollar question isn’t it? We at least know that infection rate is lower for the vaccinated, therefore they are still less likely to transmit it. What happens when they do get infected is still the mystery.

17 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I mean it could change that if everyone was on the same page, but asking everyone to be on the same page of anything these days is a near impossibility. 

No more asking then. We tried incentives and the carrot method. Now we’re seeing more of the stick.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:
1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Not children specific, but the viral load is the same whether you are vaxed or unvaxed. The risk of transmitting it to the kids is just as high as if you had a party full of unvaxed adults. 

While it is true that the viral load is the same, I've seen experts say that that doesn't mean the transmission rate is the same. That is still unknown, last I saw.

I'm not ready to concede the viral load being similar yet, much less transmission being the same. The studies on viral load of vaccinated people are on exceptionally small samples in local areas. 

Transmission is lower. We've already demonstrated that at a country-wide level in places like Israel, but it just stands to reason that transmission will be lower. If you're vaccinated, you're sick for a smaller amount of time and you have antibodies (either new or residual) killing virus, so the load would be at least slightly lower, and the duration of time would be shorter. Plus there's the factor of whether someone is infected or not. I've seen the CDC slides that say there is a 25-fold reduction in the odds of being infected, and all of those additional reductions would stack.

So if there is a 25x knockdown in infection rate, and the viral load is cut in half, and the duration of time is cut in half, that adds up to 1% of the relative transmission risk per vaccinated person compared to an unvaccinated person.

I really think this is hooplah for minimal gain, if any noticeable gain.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, JonStark said:

It comes back to what I said back in February. They needed an answer for the 30% who were literally never going to get it, and after going back to mandate masks, shutdowns, etc for those who got the vaccine solely for their freedom and return to normalcy, they’ve completely lost and burned down any credibility they have, purely from a sociological perspective and standpoint. You can’t preach the vaccine is the endgame for 14+ months and then try to put the toothpaste back in the tube, because that’s not how societies work.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Y’all really care too much about how others perceive you in this thread. 😂

Maybe just focus on the topic? 

I have my 3 year olds birthday in 2 weeks and we were planning a party with friends (all vax’d) but with the amount of kids I’m worried about any of them getting something. Any word on delta variant and children? I haven’t seen many breakdowns. 

If every adult is fully vaxxed and it’s outside then it should be safer. How’s the vaccination rate in your area? That’s the only other question I have. In terms of Delta and kids, it’s a hard question to ask since most have been sheltered the last year. It’s an uncertainty until it happens. This was written back in May, when Delta was only 1%.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/05/25/997467734/childrens-risk-of-serious-illness-from-covid-19-is-as-low-as-it-is-for-the-flu

Just now, MWil23 said:

It comes back to what I said back in February. They needed an answer for the 30% who were literally never going to get it, and after going back to mandate masks, shutdowns, etc for those who got the vaccine solely for their freedom and return to normalcy, they’ve completely lost and burned down any credibility they have, purely from a sociological perspective and standpoint. You can’t preach the vaccine is the endgame for 14+ months and then try to put the toothpaste back in the tube, because that’s not how societies work.

How much more babysitting, and handholding, and coddling do these idiotic entitled crybabies possibly need? I understand what you're getting at, but come on man.

We cured a pandemic. 2 shots. 30 minutes total, go live your life. 3 billion shots. 3 deaths, none confirmed from the vaccine. And these idiots not only don't like it, when we ask why they answer "general anti-vaccinate sentiment". They can't even tell us why they don't want to take it, and IT'S ON US TO BEND OVER MORE?

Lock them out of hospitals and let them die in the street.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Vaccine mandates.

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How much more babysitting, and handholding, and coddling do these idiotic entitled crybabies possibly need? I understand what you're getting at, but come on man.

We cured a pandemic. 2 shots. 30 minutes total, go live your life. 3 billion shots. 3 deaths, none confirmed from the vaccine. And these idiots not only don't like it, when we ask why they answer "general anti-vaccinate sentiment". They can't even tell us why they don't want to take it, and IT'S ON US TO BEND OVER MORE?

Lock them out of hospitals and let them die in the street.

As much as I would like for that to happen, there’s probably more legal paths we can take 😂

28 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm not ready to concede the viral load being similar yet, much less transmission being the same. The studies on viral load of vaccinated people are on exceptionally small samples in local areas. 

Transmission is lower. We've already demonstrated that at a country-wide level in places like Israel, but it just stands to reason that transmission will be lower. If you're vaccinated, you're sick for a smaller amount of time and you have antibodies (either new or residual) killing virus, so the load would be at least slightly lower, and the duration of time would be shorter. Plus there's the factor of whether someone is infected or not. I've seen the CDC slides that say there is a 25-fold reduction in the odds of being infected, and all of those additional reductions would stack.

So if there is a 25x knockdown in infection rate, and the viral load is cut in half, and the duration of time is cut in half, that adds up to 1% of the relative transmission risk per vaccinated person compared to an unvaccinated person.

I really think this is hooplah for minimal gain, if any noticeable gain.

Israel's public health chief actually touched on this. In short- theyre seeing a higher rate of cases in those who have been vaccinated for longer, but vaccinated individuals who are infected seem to have a 50% reduction in transmission. On a community level, that makes a HUGE difference. Once you reach a high threshold of those vaccinated within a community- you're knocking severe cases down 25 fold + vaccinated-to-vaccinated transmission is likely harder + those who are vaccinated are likely to transmit less of the virus reducing the transmission rate even more. 

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/coronavirus-delta-variant-is-50-percent-more-infectious-israeli-top-official-says-1.10068650

"We saw that 80 percent of vaccinated individuals who have become confirmed cases themselves had zero contact with confirmed cases, while 10 percent had one contact of confirmed cases," she said, adding that "their ability to infect others is 50 percent lower than those who are not vaccinated."

She noted while there is spread among household contacts, the risk of confirmed cases of vaccinated individuals infecting others is about 10 percent while the risk of infecting more than one individual is lower than 10 percent.

Even if we look at the Mass. study that the CDC used to update their mask guidance. There were nearly 20,000 people that gathered for that even in rainy conditions that forced people into bars that likely were NOT well ventilated. This led to an outbreak that infected a decent amount of vaccinated people. The headlines started rolling, and people started saying "The vaccines are FAILING!" completely missing what's important here which is:

In the absolute best possible conditions for the virus (delta, to boot) to thrive with thousands upon thousands of people stacked like sardines in not so well ventilated areas getting hammered, talking loud, laughing, spit flying etc...an outbreak did occur but, on a community wide level- it fizzled out because that community was well vaccinated. Had this outbreak happened with unvaccinated people in an unvaccinated area- you're likely looking at WAY more people infected (given the conditions), more hospitalizations, possibly some mortality, and the start of a surge in that community, but that didn't happen- because the vaccines provided a barrier that protected that community from seeing a major surge. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2