Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Just now, pwny said:

Because the stuff you're posting that you clearly learned about from TikTok has mostly been misinformation, and at best taken out of the much needed context of the information being stated. If the source keeps getting you to look down avenues of debunked claims, concerns that don't exist, misrepresentations of research papers and things that we keep having to debunk, maybe it's a garbage source.

The medical error third leading cause of death thing I think I actually saw on 60 minutes a few years ago.

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

The medical error third leading cause of death thing I think I actually saw on 60 minutes a few years ago.

I don't think anyone said or implied that the information was wrong of that you got that from TikTok. 

2 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

what does medical error have to do with the vaccine? Medical errors are typically giving an incorrect dosage based on clerical errors. 

• Like 2

The point is that if you're going to say you distrust the medical community, or that they aren't to be fully trusted, perhaps that may be true. But then getting information you act upon from one minute videos on a dance app probably isn't the avenue you want to learn from.

Perhaps, just as that video you posted the other day where wherein claimed certain people were painting an anti-vax message, we should follow what was actually being conveyed, which was that in order to trust the vaccine, we should look to having the data accessible and the vetting process of other scientists, other researchers, other professionals, to vet the claims being made. And perhaps we shouldn't distill entire research papers down to one sentence from them for easy one minute gotcha videos that do big numbers, perhaps we should look at the whole of the research, the whole of the claims being made, the whole of the peer review, and the whole of the scientific community's interpretation of that information.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

If the source keeps getting you to look down avenues of debunked claims, concerns that don't exist, misrepresentations of research papers and things that we keep having to debunk, maybe it's a garbage source.

Just to be clear here. You’re saying you’ve debunked the rabbit holes you assume I’m going down and not actual things I’ve posted? Because other than mRNA not being past phase 3 trials, which I removed, I’ve been very careful about not posting untrue information. And if I’m not posting debunked information then I obviously don’t believe it. So I don’t really see the problem.

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

To be clear, if you're sick with Covid, correct? Because, if you weren't vaccinated and are a gunshot victim/whatever else, that's ironic.

And what do you do with those who have cancer and can't get the vaccine?

The back of the line thing is just a bad method. If we are talking about favoritism when it comes to treatment/vaccine etc. What if police put the anti-police inner city at the back of the line when they called? It’s a very slippery slope. When you sign up to do the job, you do it no matter who needs you. The medical field should know this as much as anyone.

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

The back of the line thing is just a bad method. If we are talking about favoritism when it comes to treatment/vaccine etc. What if police put the anti-police inner city at the back of the line when they called? It’s a very slippery slope. When you sign up to do the job, you do it no matter who needs you. The medical field should know this as much as anyone.

Pretty sure I have said this before, but you know medical triage is already a thing, right?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Tik tok and Wikipedia are here to stay as your most trusted sources man. Catch up..

The sources Wikipedia links to are generally an infinitely better source of information than most people rely on.

Tik-tok, Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit are all varying degrees of garbage. Tik-tok being the worst. At least Facebook has to haul Mark Zuckerberg to Congress when he leaks people's data or let's foreign agencies micro-target people for ads using personal information they had no access to. Tik-tok is owned by a Chinese company and steals an absolutely insane amount of personal data, down to biometric data.

In case you didn't think irony was dead, the conspiracy is that the vaccine is a Chinese government bioweapon spy device, and they're finding out about it on a Chinese government spy device. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Eh. Not exactly. Question for sure. But the point I’m getting at is that you shouldn’t just blindly follow them. And in most of these cases it’s not even individual doctors/scientists being listened to. It’s bureaucracies speaking for everyone.

Trust is not the same thing as blind trust. We've developed a remarkable system of peer-review to make it not blind. It's literally not blind. It's literally the exact opposite of that. 

Literally every source antivaxxers cling to are way way way way WAYYYYYYYY more blind than the scientific consensus that indicate the safety and importance of the vaccine.

I'm just dumbfounded how someone can argue against "blind trust" while not trusting the least blind data in existence. Aaanddd! They then place their trust in way way way way WAYYYYYYYY more blindly in other sources.

It would be comical if it didn't literally kill people.

Literally.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Eh. Not exactly. Question for sure. But the point I’m getting at is that you shouldn’t just blindly follow them. And in most of these cases it’s not even individual doctors/scientists being listened to. It’s bureaucracies speaking for everyone.

I’m not quite sure what you’re arguing. No one is saying to blindly trust it (my dad didn’t and it was the right call). 

The vaccine is a different story. A lot of people have studied and understand how vaccines work, and they all agree that it’s working and is safe. Why wouldn’t you listen to those people over conspiracy theorists or the guys who turned this entire thing political? 

• Like 1

Just now, JonStark said:

I’m not quite sure what you’re arguing. No one is saying to blindly trust it (my dad didn’t and it was the right call). 

The vaccine is a different story. A lot of people have studied and understand how vaccines work, and they all agree that it’s working and is safe. Why wouldn’t you listen to those people over conspiracy theorists or the guys who turned this entire thing political? 

My understanding of mRNA is that it doesn’t work the way traditional vaccines work. Really only NovaVax which we can’t have for some reason and Johnson & Johnson work like regular vaccines.

Just now, DontTazeMeBro said:

My understanding of mRNA is that it doesn’t work the way traditional vaccines work. Really only NovaVax which we can’t have for some reason and Johnson & Johnson work like regular vaccines.

That’s correct, but that doesn’t mean that it’s a bad thing or rushed. mRNA vaccines have been in development for years. 

• Like 1