Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Anyone feel guilty about getting a booster shot? I want my parents and others that fall into the high risk category to definitely get it. But I’m struggling with wanting to get one myself because the poorer countries need the original shots more than we do. The caveat is if what they’re projecting about immunity waning is true after a certain period, that not only will infections increase but also hospitalization, then it’s becomes another ethical dilemma.

I don’t feel guilty as I have no way to change the situation.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I wish that was our biggest issue.

Our biggest issue is that a LOT of people for some reason cannot internalize that other people on this planet other than them matter.

Honestly, I think the biggest issue is that for some reason, everyone with a keyboard thinks they are an expert on everything these days.

It used to be if you had a problem with your health, your car, etc, you would seek help from an expert in the field. Hell, even seek help from a friend (and I mean actually seek help, as in go into the discussion looking for advice instead of doing some weird thing where you only go to sources that already fit your narrative that happens these days). 

Nowadays, everyone thinks they are an expert on everything and it's looked down on to be ignorant on a subject. I'll be the first to tell you that when I have a leak in my ceiling, I'm calling a plumber. I know almost nothing about that stuff. They have much more experience with that type of thing than I do and while I may get more than one opinion, they will have a more educated solution than anything I can muster up. I'd probably just end up making it worse. For some reason, taking medical advice from people in the field isn't even in the discussion for some people. 

And I get it to an extent. My dad lost his leg from the spray they used in Vietnam leading to diabetes, and recently went into the hospital because his other foot had an infection. The doctor there told us the infection was in the bone (like the first) and that amputation was 100% needed. Well, my wife and I got him transferred to another hospital, they told us the infection was not in the bone, and with a surgery to flush it out and antibiotics he got to keep his foot. There are poor doctors out there that have mislead people but I'll be damned if that's going to stop me from trusting anything that any doctor has to say. Mix that flawed mindset with all of the misinformation online and the egotistical mindset a lot of Americans have today and you get a recipe for disaster. It's okay to not know everything and people need to realize that listening to more experienced people on a subject is a good thing. 

• Like 3

^ yes.

As @ET80 and I (and Asimov) know:

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

and this is exacerbated by the trove of information readily available to every Tom, **** and Sally. And the accompanying mouthpiece.

it used to be that (at least to a reasonable degree), the professions responsible for disseminating information to the general population self-sorted to attract those with a genuine curiosity of the TRUTH. 

today, information is widely disseminated and consumed by those with only a genuine interest in self-importance. This change in dynamic has resulted in accelerated anti-intellectualism: tens of millions of suggestible adults want to "stand out" by challenging best knowledge simply because they want to feel more important than they actually are.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Mix that flawed mindset with all of the misinformation online and the egotistical mindset a lot of Americans have today and you get a recipe for disaster. It's okay to not know everything and people need to realize that listening to more experienced people on a subject is a good thing. 

It’s not really a flawed mindset. Medical error is, or was very recently, the third leading cause of death in the US.

Here’s some links because people want me to post links now 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/02/22/medical-errors-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-america.html

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28186008/

https://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2139

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-05-03/medical-errors-are-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-the-us%3fcontext=amp

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/05/03/476636183/death-certificates-undercount-toll-of-medical-errors

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

If that’s how bad people with a decade plus of education in programs with some of the highest admission standards in the country paired with on the job experience, imagine how bad the random tiktok content creator might do?

• Like 3

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If that’s how bad people with a decade plus of education in programs with some of the highest admission standards in the country paired with on the job experience, imagine how bad the random tiktok content creator might do?

You really seem to be dwelling on the TikTok thing. If it’s true information, why is it relevant where it came from? 

14 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

You don’t think that generalizing every doctor being bad because a few of them are is a flawed mindset?

2 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

You really seem to be dwelling on the TikTok thing. If it’s true information, why is it relevant where it came from? 

Just repeating something over and over doesn’t make it true my guy.

I’ve been bragging about how big my dong is for years, and lemme tell ya….