Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I get it though. Some of you don't like me, and I really couldn't care less. I'm sure in some cases, the feeling is very mutual. I can be unfiltered, and I have no problem owning when I'm wrong, reassessing things, and seeking forgiveness accordingly. To those who have a personal issue with me, feel free to PM me and we'll work it out...or at least agree to leave each other alone. Either of those is fine with me.

Pal, I know you’re not really a boomer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I hope your economy isn’t tanking right now then.

It's a thing in Philly and in Seattle as well. I've seen it there in person both places. In Philly and Seattle, it is businesses deciding they won't allow indoor patrons without proof of vaccination. And if you don't have proof of vaccination, you sit outside. From what I saw, these places are packed both inside and out, so it doesn't look like they are suffering from these self-imposed 'restrictions'.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

whats the cost? Healthcare workers have done it for decades. My nurses who work home care HAVE to wear them throughout their entire shifts. Despite the 7-10 of my 75 nurses who refuse to get the vaccine, there have never been any PPE complaints outside of that. People do it. Can it be inconvenient? Sure. Will it effect anyones job or performance? It shouldnt. 

I agree w/ @mission27. There definitely is a cost. Especially for those of us not used to it. It adds a level of difficulty and stress at my workplace absolutely. Safety glasses fog up (even anti-fog ones), and they can be irritating. And when you're building intricate, safety critical hardware - things like that matter a LOT.

Is the trade-off worth it? I'd argue "no" for certain positions at my work place where the vaccination rate is extremely high and the work floor generally results in personal distancing - but it's still required when the mandate is in place. Unnecessarily so, IMO. And I'm 100% pro masking in public arenas where the stakes are much, much, MUCH lower.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The way you mandate it is through employers. Period. That will eventually do the trick and get enough people vaccinated. Mandating it for customers (outside of sports stadiums, concerts, and 5k+ crowds) is not going to be a universal thing, nor should it. 

Employers alone aren’t enough tbh.  Not everyone works for a large corporation.  Many are self employed and many more are employed by people who frankly care as little or less than them.

Insurers and providers will have to be primary drivers as well.

As far as the mandates (vaccinated or negative covid test within 48 hours) for large gatherings, it already is to some degree, and it’s been effective.

https://abc7chicago.com/covid-lollapalooza-outbreak-super-spreader/10946665/

Compare those numbers to Sturgis either this year or last year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I agree w/ @mission27. There definitely is a cost. Especially for those of us not used to it. It adds a level of difficulty and stress at my workplace absolutely. Safety glasses fog up (even anti-fog ones), and they can be irritating. And when you're building intricate, safety critical hardware - things like that matter a LOT.

Is the trade-off worth it? I'd argue "no" for certain positions at my work place where the vaccination rate is extremely high and the work floor generally results in personal distancing - but it's still required when the mandate is in place. Unnecessarily so, IMO. And I'm 100% pro masking in public arenas where the stakes are much, much, MUCH lower.

So this is where I think some level of common sense has to play a part.

If you work in an office, lab, whatever where you’re around people, but not necessarily up everyone’s ***, the need to mask is minimal.  If you’re leaving your work station, BSing at the water cooler, etc. then mask up.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So this is where I think some level of common sense has to play a part.

If you work in an office, lab, whatever where you’re around people, but not necessarily up everyone’s ***, the need to mask is minimal.  If you’re leaving your work station, BSing at the water cooler, etc. then mask up.

Yes, for sure. Unfortunately that level of common sense is impossible to codify on these emergency orders - so everyone just has to comply. I was simply speaking to the point that there IS a cost to masking, at least in certain professions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

It's a thing in Philly and in Seattle as well. I've seen it there in person both places. In Philly and Seattle, it is businesses deciding they won't allow indoor patrons without proof of vaccination. And if you don't have proof of vaccination, you sit outside. From what I saw, these places are packed both inside and out, so it doesn't look like they are suffering from these self-imposed 'restrictions'.

I think the main hurdle with something like vaccine passports is just making sure it actually works like it’s supposed to. Once it does, I think it’ll help in pushing people to get vaccinated.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

If you think there is a single politician that actually cares about any one of us and isn’t just playing politics, we have no starting point. They preach vaccinations while allowing unvaccinated floods to herd through the border. Nobody on either side that has power actually cares about anyone of us. They care about the next election. It’s really that simple. This isn’t about politics, it’s about how this problem is not going away. 

The sooner people accept that this is here to stay, the sooner we can make rational decisions on what the new normal is.

BuT mY sIDe iS beTTeR TaHN tEH pATriOTs

I like how people think that mutations wouldn't have happened if other things had happened first. The Delta variant was inevitable and as known, it didn't originate here. There will be more variants and more that are vaccine resistant. We can continue to vaccinate and that will help but for those who don't want it, they just need to hope we find the Tamiflu version of a Covid treatment to ease the suffering. I was dead set on vaccines being the end of this thing and unfortunately that doesn't look like it's the case. I saw a Pfizer CEO saying that they expect an even more vaccine resistant strain to appear in the near future. People can take that how they wish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

provide a single receipt that indicates that pandemic spread is being driven by "unvaccinated floods herding through the border." i want numbers and explicit, statistically significant ties to community spread.

very strange to me that i haven't gotten an update on this extremely pressing issue!

• Like 4

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I like how people think that mutations wouldn't have happened if other things had happened first. The Delta variant was inevitable and as known, it didn't originate here. There will be more variants and more that are vaccine resistant. We can continue to vaccinate and that will help but for those who don't want it, they just need to hope we find the Tamiflu version of a Covid treatment to ease the suffering. I was dead set on vaccines being the end of this thing and unfortunately that doesn't look like it's the case. I saw a Pfizer CEO saying that they expect an even more vaccine resistant strain to appear in the near future. People can take that how they wish.

Yeah, sadly there will be more mutations. It’s here to stay, which sucks. So, now that people have been able to make their decision of whether or not to get vaccinated, which seems to be long past the point of it being available in the United States, let’s figure out what normal functioning in our society is. 

I personally am not for mandates. The problem is, there are people that have their own convictions which people may or may not agree with. But when the goalpost keeps moving, and they mandate everyone to get another vax, and another, and a booster, and each time, there is an extension of mandates, you are continually abusing what people believed to be the right decision for themselves. Whether or not you believe that to be the solution. You cannot create international change by mandating vaccinations and functioning like that for the rest of everyone’s lives. 

11 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Let’s hope the covid version of tamiflu is better than tamiflu then.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/health/treating-flu-tamiflu 

8 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

very strange to me that i haven't gotten an update on this extremely pressing issue!

B/c no one said it was being driven by it. They said it's adding to the problem (in their own words). No one can update you on something that hasn't been stated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

B/c no one said it was being driven by it. They said it's adding to the problem (in their own words). No one can update you on something that hasn't been stated.

this is a completely insignificant semantic distinction lol. show me how it's adding to the problem, then. give me the numbers. 

• Like 3