Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

18 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Another symptom I've noticed of recent is the cloudy head feeling.  I presume it's because of all the meds from cough syrup to Mucinex as well as just dealing with mild sinus pressure.  

Hopefully it’s just the meds, but keep on top of this and consult your doctor, because brain fog is one of those long COVID symptoms that even people who got the virus at the beginning of the pandemic are still struggling with. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Incentives are cool and all, but they’re not moving the needle. 

No one is changing their mind or making getting vaccinated a priority for a free beer or doughnut 

We saw a large uptake of initial doses when our Premier introduced a vaccine passport.

Exclusion seems to provide more incentive than compensation.

• Like 3

I believe this is what some of our healthcare workers were talking about earlier in the thread. It’s called crisis standard of care.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/09/05/1034210487/covid-surge-overwhelming-hospitals-raising-fears-rationed-care

"We are right on the edge of entering crisis standards of care. I hope we don't get to that point, but it could very easily happen," Siegel says. This is essentially a road map for how to divvy up medical care in a way that's equitable when resources are tight.

While there are national guidelines for crisis standards, the actual plans can vary depending on the state, region or institution. Declaring crisis standards does not necessarily mean patients will be denied care altogether, but it does give hospitals flexibility about whom to prioritize and provides legal protection for doctors.

For example, certain patients deemed less likely to survive may not get a bed in the intensive care unit. Nurses may be asked to treat many more patients than is normally considered safe. Patients may have to be discharged from the hospital before they would normally go home, and some patients who would usually be admitted for hospital care might have to be denied.

Arizona had to activate its plan earlier in the pandemic. And some states came to the brink of doing so last winter. These plans can include a "scoring" system that evaluates a patient's chance of survivalbased on the functioning of the brain, heart, kidneys or other major organs.

And even if states narrowly avoid this worst-case scenario, doctors in hard-hit regions say the sheer stress on hospitals is inevitably affecting patient care in ways that are painfully reminiscent of last winter, when the U.S. peaked at more than 120,000 hospitalizations

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pwny said:

Hopefully it’s just the meds, but keep on top of this and consult your doctor, because brain fog is one of those long COVID symptoms that even people who got the virus at the beginning of the pandemic are still struggling with. 

Jesus...and the hits keep coming...haha.

I've been working on my mock draft of late just to pass the time while I quarantine.  Rebuilding the workbooks from scratch.  Unfortunately the brain fog hasn't been easy to deal with as I find myself staring at the screen more often than not.  

I don't believe I'm still contagious (12 days) but the congestion, cough and just the sound of my voice right now would simply freak people out if they heard me carrying on in public.

• Like 2

Everyone’s healthcare workers have been victimized by ignorance, wingnuts, politics and foolishness during this pandemic. The excess workload, risk, exhaustion has been very trying for them all.

The Provincial Government in one of our provinces is trying to cut Nurses pay. This in a province that hasn’t exactly treated them fairly prior to the pandemic. Yesterday this same province announced they are brining nurses in from other jurisdictions because of nursing shortages in the 4th wave.

There is a significant part of society that have simply lost their minds. Who in their right mind would mess with the wages of people instrumental in caring for our sick.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-nurses-1.6114721

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Jesus...and the hits keep coming...haha.

I've been working on my mock draft of late just to pass the time while I quarantine.  Rebuilding the workbooks from scratch.  Unfortunately the brain fog hasn't been easy to deal with as I find myself staring at the screen more often than not.  

I don't believe I'm still contagious (12 days) but the congestion, cough and just the sound of my voice right now would simply freak people out if they heard me carrying on in public.

Keep up with the expectorant and drink lots of water. Practice deep breathing. Sometimes brain fog can result with just minor reductions in oxygen levels. 

3 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Everyone’s healthcare workers have been victimized by ignorance, wingnuts, politics and foolishness during this pandemic. The excess workload, risk, exhaustion has been very trying for them all.

The Provincial Government in one of our provinces is trying to cut Nurses pay. This in a province that hasn’t exactly treated them fairly prior to the pandemic. Yesterday this same province announced they are brining nurses in from other jurisdictions because of nursing shortages in the 4th wave.

There is a significant part of society that have simply lost their minds. Who in their right mind would mess with the wages of people instrumental in caring for our sick.

Yeah that’s just plain awful. Why would you do something that stupid?

• Like 2

Just now, diehardlionfan said:

Keep up with the expectorant and drink lots of water. Practice deep breathing. Sometimes brain fog can result with just minor reductions in oxygen levels. 

Oxygen levels has been holding at 96-97 over the last few days.

The expectorant does seem to be breaking it loose.  Just wish it was doing it faster.  So ready to get out of this house and get back to normal daily activity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Yikes. Does this hospital not realize that these Nurses will just quit and onto the next Nursing job with higher pay? Besides Software Engineers, RN's have been the most in-demand profession for the past 15 years at least, you can find another job with same or better pay the next day. 

What a clown move on their part.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yikes. Does this hospital not realize that these Nurses will just quit and onto the next Nursing job with higher pay? Besides Software Engineers, RN's have been the most in-demand profession for the past 15 years at least, you can find another job with same or better pay the next day. 

I agree. It’s just so, so idiotic. It’s the Provincial Government, in one jurisdiction so to get a better paying Nursing job they have to move to another province. Many are just taking other jobs or moving into occupational health in the private sector.

Have you ever noticed governments never roll back wages of useless elected politicians?

Edited by diehardlionfan

This is absolutely wretched. We should be doing better now that we have a vaccine. But it has gone backwards because of stupidity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5744189001

Daily coronavirus infections are more than four times what the U.S. was seeing on Labor Day last year, or a 316% increase, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. And daily deaths are almost twice as high.

Hospitalizations are up 158% from a year ago, U.S. Health and Human Services data shows. The result: Some U.S. hospitals are getting so crowded with COVID-19 patients that physicians may soon be compelled to make life-or-death decisions on who gets an ICU bed.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I get multiple recruiter emails per week for jobs paying 5k a week or more a couple as high as 10-20k a week. One of my friends is working one now for 3k per week (3 twelve hours shifts).

My wife, also an RN, applied for a prn job (basically you work when you want, with a 1-2 shift per month minimum, no benefits or anything) this morning.  She got a replay an hour later… on LABOR DAY and an interview on Wednesday (but only because she’s working tomorrow).

• Like 2