Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Is herd immunity still possible, or do we need to change our strategy?
https://news.yahoo.com/elusive-herd-immunity-likely-wont-100209265.html

But even as more than half of adult Americans have received at least one dose of vaccine and many others are protected by recent infections, health experts are moving away from the idea of reaching some magic number.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease doctor, doesn't want to talk about herd immunity anymore.

“Rather than concentrating on an elusive number, let's get as many people vaccinated as quickly as we possibly can,” he said at a White House briefing last week, a sentiment he's since repeated.

What Fauci doesn't explicitly state, but others do, is that with about a quarter of Americans saying they might not want to be immunized, herd immunity is simply not an attainable goal.

After initially aiming for the kind of protection provided by the measles vaccine, officials are now focused on containment similar to the flu: acknowledging there will be regular outbreaks but hoping to limit them as much as possible.

Americans can go through their entire lives without worrying about getting the measles because of a long-lasting effective vaccine given to more than 90% of children. Although small pockets of infection occur when vaccination rates drop, even people who can't get the vaccine or are immunocompromised remain mostly protected.

With COVID-19, where vaccines are effective but won't last a lifetime, vaccine hesitancy makes that kind of widespread protection unlikely, experts say.

That means people who can't get vaccinated or whose immune systems are dampened by medication or disease will remain vulnerable. There will probably always be enough unvaccinated people to allow COVID-19 to spread once it arrives in a community. And even people who are vaccinated won't be 100% protected in the face of such a contagious illness.

But the more people who get their shots, the better.

“We need to pivot the conversation away from thinking of herd immunity as a target we get to or we don’t,” said Lauren Ancel Meyers, a professor of statistical and data science and director of the COVID-19 Modeling Consortium at the University of Texas at Austin. “It’s simple – the more immunity, the better off we’ll all be.”

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

What Fauci doesn't explicitly state, but others do, is that with about a quarter of Americans saying they might not want to be immunized, herd immunity is simply not an attainable goal.

yoo wen GIF

*Me deciding not to go on a rant about being held hostage by 25+% of the population*

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Herd Immunity was always an unknown with COVID. 

Feel free to correct me but I was under the assumption that with the amount of infections we have in this country, we would get a pseudo herd immunity through the vaccine and the virus.

12 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Feel free to correct me but I was under the assumption that with the amount of infections we have in this country, we would get a pseudo herd immunity through the vaccine and the virus.

Pretty sure immunity through contraction and surviving has not been adequately quantified to make a determination on how it effects herd immunity. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

yoo wen GIF

*Me deciding not to go on a rant about being held hostage by 25+% of the population*

Well you might not be held hostage since it seems that they’re moving away from that herd immunity strategy.

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Visual:

5QUL7AHYBBF5TNKNFYAMTWGF5Y.jpg&w=916

I'm not surprised to see the rate decrease a bit now that those who were in the highest demand of the vaccines are now (mostly) vaccinated. We're now getting to the group who is more likely to drag their feet than actively searching for appts. Our approach needs to alter. We need to make vaccines easily accessible and give younger people incentives to get vaccinated. I think most young people aren't afraid of the vaccine, but they're also not afraid of COVID, so we need to give this group a bit of a nudge to get plucked. 

And, tbh, we'll be fine if the ship stays steady even if it slows a bit. Fingers crossed we can convince those who aren't in a high risk category to get vaccinated!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

I'm not surprised to see the rate decrease a bit now that those who were in the highest demand of the vaccines are now (mostly) vaccinated. We're now getting to the group who is more likely to drag their feet than actively searching for appts. Our approach needs to alter. We need to make vaccines easily accessible and give younger people incentives to get vaccinated. I think most young people aren't afraid of the vaccine, but they're also not afraid of COVID, so we need to give this group a bit of a nudge to get plucked. 

And, tbh, we'll be fine if the ship stays steady even if it slows a bit. Fingers crossed we can convince those who aren't in a high risk category to get vaccinated!

I think the vaccine requirements from colleges will help in this area. Though from my understanding, the EUA status of the vaccine currently leaves it in murky grey legal area.

Follow up: Got my second dose of Pfizer on Wednesday. Pretty much the same symptoms as the first. Had a sore arm, general fatigue but far less dehydrated. I guess the Walgreen version of pedialyte worked wonders. 🙂

Super easy to go through. 

• Like 3