Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

CDC advisory recommends resuming the J&J vaccine. I know that some on here didn’t like the pause and I can understand why.

Anyways some additional information.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1265073

All cases were in women, and all but two were in women ages 18 to 49. Seven were among women in their 30s, occurring at a rate of 11.8 per million doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine administered.

Still, "the last 11 days have been reassuring that we have not identified hundreds more cases despite enhanced awareness," Dr. Grace Lee, a professor of pediatrics at the Stanford University School of Medicine, said during Friday's meeting.

No medical conditions or medications linked the cases, including obesity or use of birth control pills.

Outside experts said they were pleased the committee recommended resuming the vaccines, even though the initial pause was "totally justified," Dr. Carlos del Rio, executive associate dean of the Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, wrote in an email. "When the committee first met on April 14 there were 6 cases, now there are 15. All in women."

Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician and former health commissioner for Baltimore, said "I think it makes sense to advise women under the age of 50 that this very rare condition could happen, and that if they are able to receive another vaccine, then they should do so."

But, Wen added, if another vaccine is unavailable, or if the recipient chooses not to get another vaccine, the Johnson & Johnson shot is "still a vaccine for which the extraordinary benefit outweighs the risks."

• Like 1

Number of vaccinations per day is beginning to slow down.  I am thinking that the number of people that are eligible and want to get the vaccine is shrinking and the supply is going to (maybe already is) outpace the demand.

% of the US population that is 16 or under....around 20% (might be a bit more than that)

% of the US population that have been fully vaccinated = 27.5%   ( with an additional 14% having received 1 dose)

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

Based on those numbers, that would mean around 48% of US population have been vaccinated fully or are age ineligible (currently).  Add in the 14% that have received 1 dose and we are around 62%.   

Various reports on vaccine hesitancy/refusal are around 20-25%.  Adding that in, there may be around 15% of the population that is eligible ....and wanting to get vaccinated....remaining.

So it wasn't too bad, my friends. Wednesday night, after shot #2, I got fatigued but couldn't sleep because I felt like I got hit by a Mac truck so I couldn't get comfortable. Ended up getting the chills for like 20 minutes. Woke up at 11:30 to check on my mom, who had a better experience this time, as well, and then slept until 4 PM yesterday. Felt back to normal by the time I went for dinner. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Ready to resume my normal life ASAP.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Number of vaccinations per day is beginning to slow down.

That's gonna happen eventually. Those of us that want it will eventually have it. And that's it, really.

Then they can finally spread the vaccine to the rest of the world.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

So it wasn't too bad, my friends. Wednesday night, after shot #2, I got fatigued but couldn't sleep because I felt like I got hit by a Mac truck so I couldn't get comfortable. Ended up getting the chills for like 20 minutes. Woke up at 11:30 to check on my mom, who had a better experience this time, as well, and then slept until 4 PM yesterday. Felt back to normal by the time I went for dinner. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Ready to resume my normal life ASAP.

Same here so far.  Got #2 around 1PM yesterday.  I didn't sleep very well last night because yeah, my entire upper body is super sore.  Slight headache but that could have been from watching the Flyers last night.  

• Like 2

On 4/23/2021 at 7:10 PM, bucsfan333 said:

That's gonna happen eventually. Those of us that want it will eventually have it. And that's it, really.

Then they can finally spread the vaccine to the rest of the world.

Yeah especially what's happening in India it's looking rough for them right now.

• Like 1

Has anybody on Twitter made the joke about how Covid turned the insult mouth breather into the insult nose breather?

Because there’s a joke there.

Nose breathers.

That’s one that I think everyone agrees on.  I have more respect for people who refuse to wear a mask than the people who wear their masks below their noses.

Speaking of noses, I’ve been noticing scents a lot this week.  I walked by the breakfast lady peeling eggs the other day and was like, “Oh, I thought you farted.”  Then after I was like... “I smelled them!”  Then I got a pretty bad cut on my finger and doused it with hydrogen peroxide and smelled it.

I can get whiffs of my deodorant from time to time, too, but then I picked up a garter snake and didn’t smell its Musky gross scent.  Could have been a male.  Or female.  I forget which one carries the scent.

Still coming and going, but this past week has been pretty good for smelling.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Xenos said:

J&J will play a crucial role IMO.

J&J could be in for a windfall if they remain the only 1 shot approved vaccine. If this becomes a seasonal vaccine I'm not sure 2 doses will be viable on an annual basis 

28 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

J&J could be in for a windfall if they remain the only 1 shot approved vaccine. If this becomes a seasonal vaccine I'm not sure 2 doses will be viable on an annual basis 

My understanding that it’ll just be an annual booster shot with Pfizer and Moderna, not two again.

On 4/23/2021 at 9:50 PM, beekay414 said:

On the second dose, my arm was sore from the shot and I had minor joint pains....That went away like the next day....

• Like 2

Are there really people refusing to get their 2nd shots in fear of side effects? I...I just don't get it. I think I'm going to step away from any type of social media, completely, for a while and just enjoy my life rather than continuing to realize that half the country, if not more, are friggin' idiots who think they aren't. 

I miss the days where we listened to our doctors rather than thinking we did "research" by googling a few articles. Sorry but social media should die a swift death. All it's made me realize is that not every person truly deserves a voice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Are there really people refusing to get their 2nd shots in fear of side effects? I...I just don't get it. I think I'm going to step away from any type of social media, completely, for a while and just enjoy my life rather than continuing to realize that half the country, if not more, are friggin' idiots who think they aren't. 

I miss the days where we listened to our doctors rather than thinking we did "research" by googling a few articles. Sorry but social media should die a swift death. All it's made me realize is that not every person truly deserves a voice.

In terms of common sense and critical thinking, there is a lot of people in the world that have mediocre levels of either.

Add in the gullible trait and here we are

• Like 1