NFL Free Agency 2021

KingTitan

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Fuller is a good player and definitely would help stretch the field but he’s made of glass. Would they really pony up a decent amount to an injury prone player? Seems like something that would backfire big time.

That's my thinking.  I think spending big on a FA WR in general is bad.  One because they'll be at best a secondary option (more likely third to Firkser) when we do pass, and two because we do not pass a lot.  Then there's whatever role Darrynton Evans will have in the offense, which I expect will cover a lot of the short passing game.

Lastly, we can get what we need out of WR (role player, essentially) with one of our third round draft picks.

Obviously, if there's a FA that can be had for cheap, go for it.  But I'd rather see that money go toward another CB, since I don't like having a 31 year old and a sophomore coming off an injury and no offseason as our starters without some good depth behind them.

Just now, titans0021 said:

I will say, I guess I’m in a tough spot where I have such little faith in the Vrabel/Bowen combination that I struggle to believe in significant improvements in the defense regardless of personnel moves. We could sign Kerrigan and trade for Gilmore and I’m still probably not bought in.

Can you give us some reasons for the lack of faith in Vrabel/Bowen?  Obviously the production of the defense being chief reasons.

Was there a specific thing that you saw consistently that says this defense will be screwed?

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

I will say, I guess I’m in a tough spot where I have such little faith in the Vrabel/Bowen combination that I struggle to believe in significant improvements in the defense regardless of personnel moves. We could sign Kerrigan and trade for Gilmore and I’m still probably not bought in.

And since this fits.

Let’s keep in mind Woodyard isn’t some player with a questionable history. He was literally a team captain every year of his career.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

And since this fits.

Let’s keep in mind Woodyard isn’t some player with a questionable history. He was literally a team captain every year of his career.

Was just coming to post this. lol

I would think this is enough reason to be fearful going forward.

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The not being very accepting of push back doesn't bother me. That's every head coach in the league.

But if he really took play calling duties away from Pees for the AFC title game...christ...

Well that would explain why Pees wouldn’t want to come back here

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Was just coming to post this. lol

I would think this is enough reason to be fearful going forward.

It’s the stubbornness that worries me. The system we saw last year was the same thing he ran in Houston and failed spectacularly. Just soft and defenders consistently out of position.

And if that line about him taking away playcalling in the AFCCG is true, that definitively points to the rumors of him pushing out Pees at the end of last year being legitimate. Which is terrifying and and is more confirmation that Bowen was promoted to simply be the official yes man.

• Like 1

I will also say, I will never expect every player to love the things a coach does. Especially a guy who wasn't brought back when he thinks he can still play.

But Wood is a legit voice and the concern that has been with Vrabel is very clear, arrogance

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i mean, i said it when we promoted bowen and it’s only more obvious now: if things don’t go well next season, it’s going to get very ugly very quickly for vrabel re: fan buy-in and potentially even player buy-in.

We make the defense what he wants with players he wants and if we struggle. Seat should be Burning hot

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

i mean, i said it when we promoted bowen and it’s only more obvious now: if things don’t go well next season, it’s going to get very ugly very quickly for vrabel re: fan buy-in and potentially even player buy-in.

That's what I'm thinking.  If the defense doesn't improve, then that puts Vrabel in a situation where he either has to confront the fact that he's a ****ty DC, or he loses his job because he's squandering talent.

If the offense drops off, I think he might straight up get fired.  The Titans FO has shown they'll fire a winning coach if they think they're underperforming.

And you're right: even if Woodyard didn't come out and say it, everything happening now points to that being the case.