viking

HOFer?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Is andre a HOFer?

• HOFer
    • HOVG
    • Not a HOFer

15 hours ago, Chargers said:

Forget his career accolades for a minute. He deserves to be in the HOF simply for the whooping he put on Cortland Finnegan. Best hands in the NFL takes on a new meaning.

4 hours ago, HolmesPriest said:

He beat up Cortland Finnegan in one of the best game highlights I still love to watch. Definite Hall Of Fame, First Ballot. 

Kre5ZQ.gif

ArtisticLargeBlackbuck-size_restricted.g

Perhaps the greatest moment in Houston Texans history...

...says more about the history than the moment, tbh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

See: QB play.

I don't disagree

I'm just saying as of the 2022 ballot; Among those eligible I see this as my order

1. Andre Johnson
  2. Torry Holt
  3. Reggie Wayne
  4. Steve Smith
  5. Chad Johnson

I disagree with the voter's assessment that Hines Ward belongs on the semifinal ballot ahead of Ocho, but I still have him behind those other 4

And obviously if Larry Fitz retires this year or next he will be locked first ballot.

So really over the course of the next 7-8 years, he needs all 5 of those other guys to get in before he is top dog on the list. At which point he would need to get in quickly before AB/Julio retire and then the wave of elites that are hitting their primes right now.

If you're arguing QB play. I recognize that Holt and Wayne had much better QBs than Ocho - but that doesn't change the fact that they are above him IMO. Their highs were higher and their primes were longer. But I'd argue Ocho had better QB play (and WR help) than either Andre Johnson or Steve Smith. I'll take a full career of Carson Palmer over Jake Delhomme or Carr/Schaub.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Perhaps the greatest moment in Houston Texans history...

...says more about the history than the moment, tbh.

Idk if I ever learned the context around that... From everything I've heard Andre is such a chill dude. I always wondered how Cortland got to him like that

6 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Idk if I ever learned the context around that... From everything I've heard Andre is such a chill dude. I always wondered how Cortland got to him like that

Cortland and Dre had been getting into it the entire day - Andre told the refs a few times that Finnegan was getting hands into his face and jamming him above the neck. Finally, Dre jammed back.

It's funny, because Andre was mic-ed up that day...

WR HoF is pathetic politics.

I think he was good enough to be HoF  (he helped me win my first fantasy SB so maybe i am biased)

If his 70 TDs were 85 it would be a no-brainer. That would be the weakest part of his case but I'd put him in.

I'd put Torry Holt in first, but I think both clearly belong.

If Drew Hill is a HoF WR then Andre is for sure.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 12:05 PM, Tk3 said:
  1. Andre Johnson
  2. Torry Holt
  3. Reggie Wayne
  4. Steve Smith
  5. Chad Johnson

I personally would take Smith over Holt and Wayne, but that's not what this thread is about.

I would put Andre in the HOF but I think the lack of exposure due to the teams he played on really hurts him. 

Short answer, yes.....without a doubt.  I thought this went without saying.

You don't get selected to 5 All-Pros during a 7-year stretch by accident while also competing with the likes of;  Moss, TO, Ocho, Fitz, Megatron, Holt, Bruce, Welker, Marshall, Boldin, Roddy, Driver, Jennings, and Steve Smith......just to name a few.   

Here is how his per game numbers stack up against some comparable players that were randomly selected:

All players up to the age of 32 (prime years) except for Megatron (30) for obvious reasons. Redacted Steve Smith's first 2 seasons only for comparison reasons. 

6WUsiJy.png

Entire career

ncupjs3.png

I always ask myself a few questions when deciding whether a WR is worthy of the HOF and AJ checks all boxes.

Did his play match his stat sheet--aka pass the "eye test"? Or, in other words, did I ever feel like I was watching a HOF player? 
The answer....absolutely.

Was he ever widely considered the best WR for more than a couple of years?
Yes, quite a few, actually...and even consecutively.  There was a time when he and Fitz were neck and neck,  and you couldn't go wrong with either of them.

Was he ever the main focal point on offense?
Yes.  In fact, he was the offense for the majority of his 13-year career.

Did he make the offense/players better or was he simply a beneficiary of a good supporting cast?
The former.  It's not a coincidence that players such as; Kevin Walter, Steve Slaton, Arian Foster, Matt Schaub, David Carr, and Owen Daniels all had their best seasons during the years that AJ balled out.

Does he have a 'storyline' built around his career?
This is not a question that I personally care about, but I do feel like voters LOVE a good storyline and will often let this very reason play a part during the voting process, so it is what it is.

But to answer the question, yes....kind of.  He was drafted by a 1-year-old expansion team and instantly became the face the franchise for the next decade.  He was also considered a very humble, high character guy during a time when WRs had a bad rep as being divas. WRs like AJ, Roddy, and Megatron were all a breath of fresh air at the time.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 5

This seems pretty definitive, so next question - Is Andre Johnson a First Ballot HoFer?

My thought is - No. He's getting in, but the position pretty much has a waiting list, some all time greats had to wait in line before getting in. 

• Like 1