Bears sign Andy Dalton

beardown3231

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

There was just a report that Denver might trade for him. Doesn't matter, anyway. The Bears will eat the cap hit if they have too. Foles is toxic to Nagy and Pace's continued employment by the Chicago Bears...

Just to clarify...if the Bears trade up and draft Trask at the end of the first, they could conceivably keep Foles as a second/third string guy. But Pace is not counting on Foles for ANYTHING.

13 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I truly wish they would have went straight to Minshew (or Darnold) and then waited to see if anybody else fell into their laps. 

I guess you can't blame a GM for holding out hope for Russell Wilson, though. 

I guess...

Minshew and Darnold both have higher potential ceilings than Dalton, IMO.  To be fair though, they both probably have lower floors too.  The one thing about Minshew is he is still on his rookie deal and he was being paid $700,000 to be a starter for the Jaguars in 2020.  You probably could have gotten him with a deal that guaranteed him $3M.d

I don't blame them for holding out hope for Russell.  The only bad part about that is it got Bears fans' hopes up, only to come crashing down.

Foles and Dalton are kind of interchangable, so I'm guessing this had something to do with Foles not being wanted anymore, or some loon GM actually wanting him and Pace for some reason not wanting to be bare at QB in March.  Can't really see any other logic to it. Foles may have been salty about getting benched and missing his incentives, so perhaps best for all sides. Or maybe he's retiring? He's probably got 60mUSD in the bank so maybe that's it?

14 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Plenty of room on the Jags bandwagon.  We're going to have a pretty fun QB to watch for the next decade and there's nowhere to go but up!  They even have a swimming pool in the stands at their home stadium!  :)

Swimming pools in a stadium overflowing with beer. What could go wrong?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I mean would you prefer Cousins and the money/cap he is making?

Food for thought

That's just an impossible situation.  It's why, even though I'm predicting a good 12-4 season for them in 2021, I really think they are a good five years away from really being in position to actually win it all.  They are going to need to get rid of Spielman, Zimmer, Cousins, and all the aging vets and start over with a new regime.  As much as I like Zim as a coach, I've reached the point where I've lost faith in his philosophy to get them to the promised land.  Sad to say. 

Just now, The_Romen said:

Hoping for Wilson and we end up with Dalton 7 years too late. It's hard to justify being a Bears fan anymore... 100 years and they can't get a single QB choice right.

You would think that any team would have to get it right at least once in 100 years even if they were trying to make bad decisions.  The poor Bears and their luck with QB's has been incredible.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I mean would you prefer Cousins and the money/cap he is making?

Food for thought

Yes. Yes, I would. 

11 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Minshew and Darnold both have higher potential ceilings than Dalton, IMO.  To be fair though, they both probably have lower floors too.  The one thing about Minshew is he is still on his rookie deal and he was being paid $700,000 to be a starter for the Jaguars in 2020.  You probably could have gotten him with a deal that guaranteed him $3M.d

I don't blame them for holding out hope for Russell.  The only bad part about that is it got Bears fans' hopes up, only to come crashing down.

I don't think anyone truly knows what either Minshew or Darnold can be. Sure...there are folks that pretend they know, and apparently Ryan Pace is firmly among them. 

Which makes it all the more heinous because he crashed and burned on Trubisky. 

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Swimming pools in a stadium overflowing with beer. What could go wrong?

7cc.jpg

2 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

Hoping for Wilson and we end up with Dalton 7 years too late. It's hard to justify being a Bears fan anymore... 100 years and they can't get a single QB choice right.

They're not done trying. They could still fail, sure, but they're not done trying. 

I'm as disappointed as the next guy that we aren't getting Wilson but can we please stop this narrative that Dalton & Foles are interchangeable...Dalton is a far superior QB than Foles ever has been...it's fair to say Dalton is the best QB we will have had since Cutler...he will come in and manage the game if the OL plays the way it did later last year...we keep Monty fit...and bring in a few more weapons...that is a lot of ifs especially considering if Dalton takes us to another 8-8 type season then Pace & Nagy are gone...

With this move the only way I see them saving their jobs is Trey Lance...with a trade up he is the QB who probably goes 4th off the board and he is probably the one who would create the most excitement in terms of long term upside...they are going to need to be bold and super aggressive to make it happen...there is no other choice now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm as disappointed as the next guy that we aren't getting Wilson but can we please stop this narrative that Dalton & Foles are interchangeable...Dalton is a far superior QB than Foles ever has been...it's fair to say Dalton is the best QB we will have had since Cutler...he will come in and manage the game if the OL plays the way it did later last year...we keep Monty fit...and bring in a few more weapons...that is a lot of ifs especially considering if Dalton takes us to another 8-8 type season then Pace & Nagy are gone...

With this move the only way I see them saving their jobs is Trey Lance...with a trade up he is the QB who probably goes 4th off the board and he is probably the one who would create the most excitement in terms of long term upside...they are going to need to be bold and super aggressive to make it happen...there is no other choice now.

They traded a 4th and guaranteed 24 million dollars to a QB that is unplayable bad.

That is spectacular.

• Like 1