Children; how many and how is it going?

Kiwibrown

17 hours ago, Forge said:

Its really tough for the most part, though I will say that I've never seen pure joy like I see on his face sometimes, which is really cool. 

That's so true - when kids on the spectrum are happy, you cannot help but to see it and just smile.

It's so difficult, I can't begin to describe some of the challenges. But those moments where all is right and my son is laughing uncontrollably in happiness - it defines me.

• Like 3

On 3/26/2021 at 10:25 AM, Kiwibrown said:

My wife wants another child.

We have two kids, I kind of want more but I really hated being there in the delivery room.  our 1st was an emergency caesar and our 2nd needed to be pulled out. 

Both needed 8+ minutes of resus. I really dont want to go through all of that again. There is not a lot worse than watching your baby not breath well. I dont know if I can do it again.

What are the odds of that happening twice, let alone three times??  I feel like the best option at this point is to just have a scheduled c-section.

Wife and I had our first child a month and a half ago.  The first few weeks were tough because there was lots of crying, without any rhyme or reason.  Last few weeks have been better.  She's adorable without even doing anything interesting.  I never imagined I'd think farts are cute, but here we are.  I don't want to wish time away, but I look forward to the days when we can take walks, and bike rides, and forage berries and mushrooms.

My wife and I are in silent agreement that eventually we'll want another one, although it's too early to talk about.

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 3

Have a son, he's 20 months old.  He's a wild man. Raising an infant during the pandemic has been really weird.  Its bizarre to me that my son has never done simple things like go inside of a grocery store. He's never been in daycare, my wife and I are still working from home and not returned to the office. So my son has had limited interaction with other children.  Its a real bummer, I feel like there's going to be a whole generation of upcoming kids that we have no idea how this pandemic is going to affect their development. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ET80 said:
21 hours ago, Forge said:

Its really tough for the most part, though I will say that I've never seen pure joy like I see on his face sometimes, which is really cool. 

That's so true - when kids on the spectrum are happy, you cannot help but to see it and just smile.

It's so difficult, I can't begin to describe some of the challenges. But those moments where all is right and my son is laughing uncontrollably in happiness - it defines me.

Cant say enough positive things about you two as fathers with kids on the spectrum. This doesn’t hold a candle to what you guys deal with, but my 2nd daughter was born with a cleft lip and palate. The big cleft grin and laugh she had gave me such joy, and even now her crooked little smile with her leaning little nose and lisp gives me such joy. :) 

• Like 5

I have two sons. while I can understand everyone's need in making their personal choices as to having children, and support anyone who doesn't want to, my sons are the greatest accomplishment in my life and the one I have made the most impact on the world with. It keeps getting better as they age and grow, and being a father is the number one way I regard myself.

I didn't choose the username of vike daddy by coincidence, it was what was most important to me.

• Like 3

Zero. I've been told my whole life that I'd grow out of being a selfish jerk who doesn't want kids. We're now a month out from 33 and still absolutely no desire to have a kid. I'm starting to think that everyone who told me it'd change was wrong.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, pwny said:

Zero. I've been told my whole life that I'd grow out of being a selfish jerk who doesn't want kids. We're now a month out from 33 and still absolutely no desire to have a kid. I'm starting to think that everyone who told me it'd change was wrong.

I refuse to grow out of being a selfish jerk who doesn’t want kids. 

• Like 1

2 daughters. Oldest graduated URI (University of Rhode Island) with a bachelors in STEM Science this year. In Sept she is attending Grad school at University of Chicago (Bio Chem) studying ALS and potential cures on her way to her Doctorate.  Youngest is a Junior at University of Rhode Island studying Economics and Green alternatives in business. 

• Like 2

I met my ex-wife in college, long before I ever considered having kids, and she was absolutely on the no-kid train, so I assumed I wouldn't have kids and fully embraced that line of thinking for 7+ years. Now that I've moved on from that toxic relationship and have started to think about what I actually want, I don't really know.

The lady I am with now is so wonderful, and (for the first time in my life) I could actually see wanting to have kids with her, but I'm still not sure. I can see so many reasons for not having kids, and seeing how the world is now I don't know if I can morally subject someone to the next 80+ years of humanity against their will, but I also don't know if I will regret having not having kids. There are also other issues where even if I was going to raise children, I would probably prefer to adopt instead of extending my gene line.

5 years ago I was 100% against it, but now I am more like 60% against it. I'm 32, and I feel like if I can't make it work with my current GF (been together for ~1.5 years) I don't think it is going to happen, and I'm OK with that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

seeing how the world is now I don't know if I can morally subject someone to the next 80+ years of humanity against their will...

understandable attitude. but having children is always predicated on hope for the future and a better life ahead. for sensible people, at least.

• Like 1

3. Got a 10, 9, and 3 year old. 

They're awesome as long as you can be a bit patient. I'd be happy to have had another 1 or 2 but pregnancies are especially rough on the wife so we're done. Coached my older two's basketball, baseball, softball and football teams but the new job wont let that happen.

I've been really lucky, literally the most challenging thing we deal with is my son's ADHD. But even with that hes a huge fan of sports and strongman comps ( Brian Shaw fan) so I can get him wore down easy enough without having to be strict or harsh.