Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Who's been praising them as geniuses? I mean, shanny is an offensive genius. Nobody in their right mind will dispute that. Other than that, I don't know of many people who have given them the genius moniker

Wasn't Lynch just named the executive of the year? And Shanny has been praised as one of the best coaches in the NFL. Saleh just got a head coaching job with the Jets.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If Lynch and Kyle are as great as everyone says/thinks, why didn't they invest into a good backup after the 2018 season when Jimmy got hurt? 

Well, in 2018, Mullens actually looked pretty good. A lot of people, felt that they had one of the better backup situations in the NFL. 

I never understood why they kept bringing back Beathard though. That was a weird one to me. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Wasn't Lynch just named the executive of the year? And Shanny has been praised as one of the best coaches in the NFL. Saleh just got a head coaching job with the Jets.

I mean, Ryan Pace won executive of the year...I don't necessarily correlate winning that award to being labeled a genius. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If the 49ers really plan to keep Jimmy G it could be a potential Alex Smith/Patrick Mahomes type of situation. Swing on the guy that has the elite physical tools but isn't ready to start day one. Let him sit for a year, clean up some things, and then trade Jimmy G for a pick next offseason.

I could see that being the case.  They would also be making New England wait a year for Jimmy G too.  Another year of Cam Newton under center and Bill Belichick would probably be happy to hand over a 1st round pick for Jimmy G.

Just now, .Buzz said:

So they're supposed to just know Jimmy G would end up an injury riddled QB? Before heath became an issue he helped them get to a SB.

Buddy, there's barely 15-20 solid QBs in the league. Who are they supposed to get to smoothly transition to a starter?

I wouldn't say that but it was extremely risky to give him that huge extension when he had only ever started 7 games in his career. 

In 2018 they could've brought in someone like Fitzpatrick. Last offseason they could've signed Mariota, Newton, Winston, or Dalton. 

If Shanahan is so great at coaching a football team, why didn’t the team’s GM predict that a player who never had a leg injury in his career would have three different ones in a three year span? Hmm?

• Like 8

Just now, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't say that but it was extremely risky to give him that huge extension when he had only ever started 7 games in his career. 

In 2018 they could've brought in someone like Fitzpatrick. Last offseason they could've signed Mariota, Newton, Winston, or Dalton. 

Again, the contract in a vacuum, is not a problem. He's a competent starting quarterback with a competent starting quarterback contract. They could have gotten out of the contract any time from year 2 afterward. It was a pay as you go deal. Not being underwater on a big dollar QB contract is unheard of. The deal was ostensibly 2 franchise tags with an option bonus. 

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Of course it was. But they got to a SB with said QB and likely would have been in that race again if he was actually healthy. Not sure how you're putting them down for unforseen injury issues.

As far as those names, exactly my point. Who could they have gotten that would have been a seamless transition as a starter/kept them afloat?

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

I could see that being the case.  They would also be making New England wait a year for Jimmy G too.  Another year of Cam Newton under center and Bill Belichick would probably be happy to hand over a 1st round pick for Jimmy G.

But I think Jimmy G starting this season for the 49ers also kind of tanks his trade value if they have someone like Lance waiting in the wings. Because the 49ers more or less will have to trade him at that point like the Chiefs did with Alex Smith and they only got a 3rd round pick back. Not to mention you run the risk of Jimmy getting hurt again and if he's traded next offseason his new team will only have him under contract for 1 year and will have to make a decision on extending him or not. 

While if a team trades for him this season they can see how things go and if it doesn't work out they can cut him next offseason with very little dead cap. And if he plays well they'll have two years to evaluate him/see if he can stay healthy before having to make a decision on extending him. 

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Nobody has actually reported NFL teams are high on Fields (apart from Ben Allbright, who is an admittedly fantastic source). At this point, he looks like QB4 in this class. Does taking the fourth QB in a mediocre quarterback class really qualify for regret, or are you just getting what you paid for.

I mean.. people were talking about him as a possible pick at 3 for the 49ers trade up, which is why I brought him up in this context. In that scenario I think that's going to disappoint

But to your point, if someone drafts him in the late portion of the round and he doesn't pan out, that's a different story

Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of things to be critical of this regime for, and won't hesitate to do it. The Solomon Thomas selection was the worst draft pick in 49er history. The Dee Ford contract is one of the worst I've seen to give an injury guarantee three years in for a guy hurt that often. They are not perfect. Nobody is. 

They get some stuff right, some stuff wrong. The first two years was a complete and total hard reboot. Year 3 super bowl, year 4 disaster in injuries (second worst in the last 20 years by some sort of metric). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So they're supposed to just know Jimmy G would end up an injury riddled QB? Before heath became an issue he helped them get to a SB.

Buddy, there's barely 15-20 solid QBs in the league. Who are they supposed to get to smoothly transition into a starter if he went down?

I know of just the guy!  :D