Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

5 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Does this mean the Pats could still get Jimmy G? Please let it be.

I still don't believe that it happens this year. I don't think that Shanny wants to start a rookie QB, and I don't think that having a bunch of vets on one year deals suggests that is the plan. I'd guess that Jimmy gets moved next year. 

8 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I mean.. people were talking about him as a possible pick at 3 for the 49ers trade up, which is why I brought him up in this context. In that scenario I think that's going to disappoint

But to your point, if someone drafts him in the late portion of the round and he doesn't pan out, that's a different story

Yes, I know they were. My point is that Fields as a top QB prospect appears, to me, as almost purely media-driven. I have seen exactly two media people state that actual league personnel view Fields as an early first-round pick. One is Gil Brandt, who said in the same tweet that other personnel view him as a Day 3 selection.

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But I think Jimmy G starting this season for the 49ers also kind of tanks his trade value if they have someone like Lance waiting in the wings. Because the 49ers more or less will have to trade him at that point like the Chiefs did with Alex Smith and they only got a 3rd round pick back. Not to mention you run the risk of Jimmy getting hurt again and if he's traded next offseason his new team will only have him under contract for 1 year and will have to make a decision on extending him or not. 

While if a team trades for him this season they can see how things go and if it doesn't work out they can cut him next offseason with very little dead cap. And if he plays well they'll have two years to evaluate him/see if he can stay healthy before having to make a decision on extending him. 

I can see what you're saying, but at the same time, people have to remember that trade negotiations aren't always just a 2-party situation.  If the Niners can find two potential suitors for Jimmy G., they can play each one off of the other to drive up his trade value.  As valuable as quarterbacks have become these days, I could certainly see that happening.

9 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Does this mean the Pats could still get Jimmy G? Please let it be.

I think so. I've thought all along Jimmy will be the QB and the rookie will sit but if the offer is good enough, I can see it happening. 

Pats haven't bought Jimmy being the guy in SF all offseason but they have continued to get shut down when inquiring about Jimmy. Maybe the tone changes now or par for the course until next offseason. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think so. I've thought all along Jimmy will be the QB and the rookie will sit but if the offer is good enough, I can see it happening. 

Pats haven't bought Jimmy being the guy in SF all offseason but they have continued to get shut down when inquiring about Jimmy. Maybe the tone changes now or par for the course until next offseason. 

I think they wanted to secure this trade first before moving Jimmy. 

If we draft Fields or Jones, they're starting day 1. 

If we draft Lance, Jimmy is starting day 1 (and has a year max before being moved). 

Pats are a natural fit though. I heard one of their writers float #46 & Gilmore for Jimmy & i'd do that in a heartbeat. Get a  starting corner, a good pick, and shed Jimmy's contract. Bill gets back his handpicked successor who, with Watson & Wilson currently staying put, instantly becomes the best option available for teams who will miss out on the top 5 rookie QB's. 

22 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I think they wanted to secure this trade first before moving Jimmy. 

If we draft Fields or Jones, they're starting day 1. 

If we draft Lance, Jimmy is starting day 1 (and has a year max before being moved). 

Pats are a natural fit though. I heard one of their writers float #46 & Gilmore for Jimmy & i'd do that in a heartbeat. Get a  starting corner, a good pick, and shed Jimmy's contract. Bill gets back his handpicked successor who, with Watson & Wilson currently staying put, instantly becomes the best option available for teams who will miss out on the top 5 rookie QB's. 

Honestly, I think that they all sit in year one.