Dolphins trade 3rd overall pick to SF

JiffyJag

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Wait, I haven't been following the draft for long.

Mac and Lance are considered high 1st round picks now? Yikes.

Yep. I don't love it, but that's where we are at. Lance was always up there, but not at 3

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Gotta love the hype machine. Some are even speculating the Jags could take Wilson...

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Mac Jones is a third rounder to me, I’d be shocked if he becomes a Top 16 QB. I honestly don’t even think he’ll be a starter after a few years. 

Lance, however, I disagree with you on. More potential than even Josh Allen and Jordan Love had entering the draft. He’s a boom or bust guy but his “boom” is literally Top QB in the NFL possibility. 

Edited by BayRaider

Just now, BayRaider said:

Mac Jones is a third rounder to me, I’d be shocked if he becomes a Top 16 QB. I honestly don’t even think he’ll be a starter after a few years. 

Lance, however, I disagree with you on. More potential than even Josh Allen and Jordan Love had entering the draft. He’s a boom or bust guy but his “boom” is literally Top QB in the NFL possibility. 

I love Lance's running ability. If he goes to a team with a coach that knows QB play say the 49ers I see him having lots of success

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

If they wanted Mac Jones they could have moved up to 6 and saved themselves a first round pick.

I think there is a less than 1% chance they draft Jones there.

Ahh I don’t agree. Every year this gets said and really nobody has a clue. NFL teams value players much differently than Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Matt Miller etc. Mock drafts and player rankings are fun but every year we’re shocked by the picks made but in reality the league just has a different grade on players. If the 49ers moved into the top 3 for Mack Jones, and I’m assuming so because he’s a lot like Kirk Cousins then I’d be willing to guess Kyle and John had info on other teams looking to move up and get him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don't hate Lance (and like him way more than Mac), but I kinda viewed him as a fringe late 1st rounder.

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I don't hate Lance (and like him way more than Mac), but I kinda viewed him as a fringe late 1st rounder.

In a perfect world, I'm with you. Given the rawness and lack of experience, that's the ideal draft spot for him

32 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Thats nuts imo. Rehab his value into what? I mean you paid a 2nd for him when he was on a rookie contract.  What exactly are you going to get back?  Call me old fashioned but you can’t trade the amount of draft picks you just did for a guy that can’t play Year 1.  

Two things:

1. Garoppolo was handed a new contract when they traded for him. It's not like they got even two years of Jimmy on a rookie deal. That didn't affect his value much, if at all.

2. There's something to be said for potentially getting him healthy and starting for a year. If they trade him now, what are they gonna get? A Day 3 pick? That's not nothing, but if he's hurt again next year, his value can't exactly go a whole lot lower. You may be able to recoup that second round pick if he stays healthy and plays well though.

13 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I kind of get Lance because he's so athletic and talented, but I view him as a mid-first kinda guy. The 1st round hype for Mac Jones is ludicrous.

• Like 3

A fascinating chain of events culminating in a synergetic benefit to all involved.  And many who aren't.

Talk about Jets considering generational LT "PeneiS From Heaven" seems to have convinced Miami to drop out of the Sewell Sweepstakes.  GM Joe can now take Wilson or Fields without handing Miami third place in the tough AFC-East (i.e. in the form of the aforementioned Penei Sewell).

The Dolphins end up selecting 6th with some valuable picks in their pockets.  This class is deep in OTs.

San Fran, a team so stacked that, if healthy, it might not find a starter in the second round, puts a few 31st place subsequent draft choices into a basket and trades it for one of the two Tier II QBs.  (Were they willing to settle for Trey Lance or Mac Jones they needn't have traded up so far.)

Atlanta laughs and says "Thank you!" for Sewell.  Carolina, another team with no intention of taking a QB in round one, is tantalized by the goodies that drop.

Belichick sees the 49ers--their main competition for Mac Jones--remove themselves from consideration.  (He still has to sweat out Denver, but Lance is a better fit there.)  Failing that, Bill might get Garoppolo back for a second round pick.

Philly gets an upgrade from 156th to 123rd, a 2022 1st rounder, and a 12th with which they'll take the same player they were going to take at 6th.

And some people will insist that trades are a zero sum gain!

• Like 2