3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

On 3/29/2021 at 5:04 AM, Forge said:

Is Trey Lance Steve McNair? Discuss. 

McNair was a thicker dude at a shorter height. He was 220 coming out, and eventually got up to 230 in his playing career. We'll see if Lance can bowl over NFL defenders like McNair did. 

If McNair was coming out now, he'd be the better prospect. There have been questions about Trey's accuracy, and when he misses the mark, it's by a pretty big margin at times. Don't believe McNair had that criticism. And he was in the running for the Heisman as an FCS player, and just had a way better college career, with a bigger sample size. If McNair was coming out now he'd probably be the 2nd QB taken, and 3rd at worst. Which would be great for us. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

21 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oh I know you said you'd rather have Fields compared to Lance. But I didn't question that. 

I might have mentioned in the trade thread that I'd be disappointed if they did this and Wilson wasn't the play.  Intially I didn't want a trade up for anyone except for Lawrence or Wilson. I wanted us to stay pat@12 and draft a QB later. But I've long since said that now that we're there, the best of the rest is clearly Fields for me. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I might have mentioned in the trade thread that I'd be disappointed if they did this and Wilson wasn't the play.  Intially I didn't want a trade up for anyone except for Lawrence or Wilson. I wanted us to stay pat@12 and draft a QB later. But I've long since said that now that we're there, the best of the rest is clearly Fields for me. 

Yeah that's the post I was talking about: 

I'm going to be pretty bummed if it isn't Wilson. I've said from jump that Wilson & Lawrence were they only two guys for me that made sense to jump up and go get. The rest of the lot are a big roll of the dice and all have a huge ? attached to them. I will have no choice but to be optimistic about whoever the QB is. But this move would feel a little empty if we didn't get one of the guys I felt we had no real shot at beforehand.

You just didn't seem that happy as you are now when you posted that QB school video. So I thought that changed your mind. 

52 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yeah that's the post I was talking about: 

You just didn't seem that happy as you are now when you posted that QB school video. So I thought that changed your mind. 

Yea I'm never really a proponent of leveraging future gains for one specific player. I'd much rather play the hand that's dealt. BUT if you are going to sacrifice future premium picks, I feel like it needs to be for elite or transcendent talent. Lawerence & Wilson were the only ones who made sense for me at that time if you are going to trade up.

Since then, I have come around on Fields though. I still think Wilson is the better prospect but not by as wide of a margin as I once did. I do have questions about Wilson's injury history and the ability to stay healthy at the next level. It has started to creep into my thought process that he might be the bigger risk. But ultimately I like his ability in the pocket more than Fields at this stage. But Fields ability as a runner and his accuracy in the pocket, against the rush has also closed the gap that between him and Wilson for me.

Edited by 757-NINER

Man, it's really difficult not to be intrigued by Trey Lance. That ball just pops on the intermediate routes. Full field reads, sees the field really, really well whether that be in routes or against pressure. Some minor inconsistencies in the route progressions, but at 19 years old, it's pretty impressive. 

I wouldn't be freaking out at all if we took him. I don't know if I'd be the guy to have the guts to take him lol, but I get it. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Man, it's really difficult not to be intrigued by Trey Lance. That ball just pops on the intermediate routes. Full field reads, sees the field really, really well whether that be in routes or against pressure. Some minor inconsistencies in the route progressions, but at 19 years old, it's pretty impressive. 

I wouldn't be freaking out at all if we took him. I don't know if I'd be the guy to have the guts to take him lol, but I get it. 

But there is a ton of inconsistencies with his accuracy and ball placement. Say what you will about Fields but his accuracy is pretty much a non-issue. That's one thing I like about his tape. Josh Allen is a outlier. Most QBs don't improve their accuracy as quickly and as deftly as he has to begin their career. Its extremely rare. I don't know if I would have the balls to bank on that at #3 overall. Like you said, that's a pretty steep and narrow ledge your stepping out on. If we had stayed@12 and Lance fell to us I definitely would be all-in on that gamble. 

I'd much rather have Lance than Mac so I wouldn't be dead set against him being the pick. I would be slightly disappointed but I'd quickly get behind it and hope for the best. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

If he just had some damn consistent accuracy. Mentally its pretty impressive what he already did in college and what he had on his plate especially for the age. And while we have seen with Allen how his accuracy has improved i think taking him over Fields is a hard one for me. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:I wouldn't be freaking out at all if we took him. I don't know if I'd be the guy to have the guts to take him lol, but I get it. 

Idk why you would at this point. There is a guy that can already do all that 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lombardi is so great to dunk on. 

He said he's talked to teams who expect 2 QBs to be in the 10-20 range both being Lance and Fields. Dude is full of poop or getting misinformation and mad that no one is believing him. 

• Like 1