3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The problem is that Tim's right too. I mean, we never question these sources in other years when this stuff comes up and we seldom get the actual sources. Furthermore, if this was being said by everyone with the same exact sources but with Justin Fields as the focal point, nobody would question it. We are pushing back because it's not what we want. I'd be curious how often Schefty actually gives his sources. It gets really difficult to discount the deluge of voices coming in with this take. 

Kinda funny, back in Jan these guys like Vega/Sacco/etc were all in on the Niners & Stafford. Maiocco King Schefter etc were silent on a niners trade, and ended up being right

Now, Maiocco King Schefter etc are all in on Jones to the 49ers, while Vega/Sacco/etc are saying they're wrong

Kinda fascinating to see it play out this way in the same offseason

I know most of us don't want Jones, but at some point there's just too much smoke. 

• Like 1

Just now, 49ersfan said:

Kinda funny, back in Jan these guys like Vega/Sacco/etc were all in on the Niners & Stafford. Maiocco King Schefter etc were silent on a niners trade, and ended up being right

Now, Maiocco King Schefter etc are all in on Jones to the 49ers, while Vega/Sacco/etc are saying they're wrong

Kinda fascinating to see it play out this way in the same offseason

I know most of us don't want Jones, but at some point there's just too much smoke. 

We will see. I will probably have Fields as my favorite up until his pro-day. I feel like the second pro day is a built in retreat point for any of the reporters. If Fields has his pro day and these guys are still saying "I'm hearing Mac Jones to the 9ers", I don't know how anyone thinks it's someone other than Jones. 

Just now, Forge said:

We will see. I will probably have Fields as my favorite up until his pro-day. I feel like the second pro day is a built in retreat point for any of the reporters. If Fields has his pro day and these guys are still saying "I'm hearing Mac Jones to the 9ers", I don't know how anyone thinks it's someone other than Jones. 

I used said pretty much this same thing about Fields first pro-day. I hope you have better luck! I still don't see it with Jones; the fact that they took this to ownership and Lynch is a part of this process as well kind of tells me that Jed and John had to be ok with it as well, which is pretty hard for me to believe. 

32 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

He has a point. I get that this question will never be answered truthfully, or even, at all. But it's a valid question.

He has a GREAT point....what information???

Let's start with information that is most likely true, that Shanny and Lynch probably have not told ANYONE who they are going to draft....I actually believe this....therefore, this alone makes everything EVERYONE is saying entirely BS

- Shanny wants a pocket passing QB that quickly gets the ball to his reads

- Shannahan wants Kurt Cousins type of QB

- Shannahan doesnt want a QB that ad-libs

- Mac Jones is the prototype for the Shannahan offense

- So on and so forth...

NONE of the ABOVE is factual

There is not a spec of in-depth truth to what anyone has reported, simply a giant echo chamber. That is why it is so frustrating, they could easily change there opinion to Fields and we would be a much happier fanbase

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

He has a GREAT point....what information???

Let's start with information that is most likely true, that Shanny and Lynch probably have not told ANYONE who they are going to draft....I actually believe this....therefore, this alone makes everything EVERYONE is saying entirely BS

- Shanny wants a pocket passing QB that quickly gets the ball to his reads

- Shannahan wants Kurt Cousins type of QB

- Shannahan doesnt want a QB that ad-libs

- Mac Jones is the prototype for the Shannahan offense

- So on and so forth...

NONE of the ABOVE is factual

There is not a spec of in-depth truth to what anyone has reported, simply a giant echo chamber. That is why it is so frustrating, they could easily change there opinion to Fields and we would be a much happier fanbase

Yep. That's what makes this so tough. There's legit not been anyone who has sourced anything resembling reliable outside of people quoting what they think. 

But I don't know that I have ever seen a wave of such "certainty" like this and have it be wrong. Anyone think of somehting like that? Like, when there has been questions in the past, we didn't get certainty like this. The 2018 draft, that first overall pick didn't really get tied to Baker until there were 3 days left or whatever. Nor have a seen such a gross disparity between talent evaluators and an NFL grade in this type of situation. I have seriously only seen one ranking where Mac is not #5 (he's #4 for McShay). I think in every other one I've seen, he's #5. 

14 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

These guys have no idea who's getting picked. 

I love that Simms is talking about how Kyle talked about Josh Allen, how he felt about Steve Young....and that somehow translates to Mac Jones. That's the type of stuff I seriously can't wrap my head around LOL 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sherm said:

Seriously don't care about the sources...as long as draft day we take Fields. Lol If it is Jones I'm gonna need a while before I can process my feelings. 

Oh, see...I'm the exact opposite. I'm going to let it rip for about a week. Not take any time, not process anything...just let an unconscious stream of shredding begin... and then be like, okay, let's see how it goes. And then not concern myself with it again lol. 

I'm a much more "embrace the heat of the moment" guy 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Oh, see...I'm the exact opposite. I'm going to let it rip for about a week. Not take any time, not process anything...just let an unconscious stream of shredding begin... and then be like, okay, let's see how it goes. And then not concern myself with it again lol. 

I'm a much more "embrace the heat of the moment" guy 

If it is MacRib I'll probably be ghost for awhile. Like it's seriously going to shake my fandom of this current regime to its core if all analysis, data, and computations led them to Mac freakin Jones. That they did ALL of this get the 2020's version of Cousins. I'm not going to hope for the best right off the bat. I'll be in mourning for awhile and tune out all things Niner and focus on the NBA & MLB. Not even sure I'll be even remotely interested in the rest of our draft to be completely honest. That's how gutted I will feel.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Forge said:

If there's a team that could have him rated 3rd, we could certainly be one of them, in fairness

Yeah. But we're not talking. So I'm counting us as one of the teams he didn't hear from. There are probably teams out there with no ambitions for a new QB willing to talk about how they rate them.

13 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Yeah. But we're not talking. So I'm counting us as one of the teams he didn't hear from. There are probably teams out there with no ambitions for a new QB willing to talk about how they rate them.

Whether we are talking is immaterial, as I mentioned later. The point was that there are apparently teams who rate Mac that highly. If you were to have fans put down five teams that they think would have Mac ranked #3, we'd likely be on a lot of those lists. I was basically just saying that if there are teams in the NFL that rate him that highly, then there's a legit possibility that we could be one of them. 

Obviously the percentages would still favor us not being one of those teams 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

If it is MacRib I'll probably be ghost for awhile. Like it's seriously going to shake my fandom of this current regime to its core if all analysis, data, and computations led them to Mac freakin Jones. That they did ALL of this get the 2020's version of Cousins. I'm not going to hope for the best right off the bat. I'll be in mourning for awhile and tune out all things Niner and focus on the NBA & MLB. Not even sure I'll be even remotely interested in the rest of our draft to be completely honest. That's how gutted I will feel.

I'm between how you feel and giving kyle the benefit of the doubt if they draft Mac. But if they do draft Mac how I think of Kyle will change completely. As a young head coach I expect Kyle to be able too embrace how the league is changing. I still think it's Fields until Goodell says other wise. But I've accepted Mac just incase y'all should do the same.

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

Anyone thinking social media is going to blow up if we take Jones ought to listen to today's Path to the Draft. They just had NE trading up to 4 to take Justin Fields. That would be the icing on the cake!

If we end up with Jimmy 2.0 and NE goes to the SB a few times over the next decade with Fields Shanny and Lynch should never get a football job again, at least not one that involves drafting players.