New Rule Change: Loosening Number Restrictions

Kiltman

Loosening Number Restrictions..  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Into this?

• Yes, mix things up.
    • Yes, but think the new groups should be a little different.
    • Meh, college already does it for the most part.
    • No, hate it. Think of the history!

Didn't see this brought up anywhere on the site, not really news unless it passes.
But it'd be a pretty big shift visually.

The Chiefs put forth a rule change to expand the numbers different positions can choose from. 

Their Reasoning:

If a player changes his position during his playing career in the NFL, and such change moves him from a position as an ineligible pass receiver to that of an eligible pass receiver, or from a position as an eligible pass receiver to that of an ineligible pass receiver, he must be issued an appropriate new jersey numeral. A change in jersey numeral is not required if the change is from an ineligible position to another ineligible position, or from an eligible position to another eligible position, provided that the player has participated at least one season at his position prior to the change.

With the proposed change, positions will be able to select numbers from the following ranges.

• QB/P/K: 1-19
  • RB, HB, FB, TE, WR: 1–49 and 80-89
  • OL: 50-79
  • DL: : 50–79 and 90–99
  • LB: 1–59 and 90–99
  • DB: 1-49

Biggest thing is opening up single digits and teens for everyone except linemen. 20-39 is a pretty big thing for linebackers too.
I'm sure lots of players would look to change their numbers, some are already jockeying for them.

Figured I'd see what people think of it if it goes through.

I wouldn't mind, but it doesn't move the needle for me. Not like a WR wearing #5 is going to mean much to me outside of a "hey, that WR is wearing a single digit" in between a sip of a beer.

I say start allowing triple digits. Or single letters. Then go all XFL with the names - let Hopkins have "Nuk" on the back of his jersey, that would be cool.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

I'm all for it as long as teams don't have 2 players (offence/defence) wearing the same number like in college ball. 
That'd just get confusing I think...

Yeah I'd hate that, don't think it'd come to that with roster sizes luckily.

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I wouldn't mind, but it doesn't move the needle for me. Not like a WR wearing #5 is going to mean much to me outside of a "hey, that WR is wearing a single digit" in between a sip of a beer.

I say start allowing triple digits. Or single letters. Then go all XFL with the names - let Hopkins have "Nuk" on the back of his jersey, that would be cool.

I would love to see GOAT on the back of Brady and Diva on the back of AB, hell even Diva on Odell would be cool

• Like 2

Just now, sayheykid said:

All I really want is the return of zero and double zero.

I'd be into it.

I'd add them back in. 
Plus, let kickers/punters do anything 0-89. Most of them will get pushed out from 1-18 over time. Just put them wherever.

The CFL lets any player wear any number. It's weird comparing it to NFL knowing the restrictions of #'s and growing up with that as the norm, but honestly I don't think it's a big deal whatsoever. Kickers wearing #70, QB's wearing #20, RB's wearing #9, etc. You get used to it insanely quick and then it's an afterthought. 

I say go for it, who cares.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

This would be a better rule change than when they first allowed a forward pass. 

All-time classic. 

rod-smart-xfl-he-hate-me.jpg

Edited by Dome

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Thought John Hadl looked cool wearing 21 as a QB at least. But that wouldn't be available with the new rule anyway.

JOHN HADL / KU | Nfl today, Nfl football players, San diego chargers  football

Forget Wearing 21! I love the punter single bar facemask!!!

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1