89 members have voted

1. 1. What should they do?

• Pick Jamar Chase [WR] LSU
    • Pick Kyle Pitts [TE] Florida
    • Pick Penei Sewell [OT] Oregon
    • Trade Back
    • Other

21 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Is it?! I'm surprised. Chase does make sense, but OL man...

In Jeremiah's podcast, he rationalised it as they are set at tackle for 2021. They need interior help which you can find in round 2 and a developmental tackle in round 3 who can take over next year. He argued best way to help Joe is getting a rare talent like Pitts. 

28 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

In Jeremiah's podcast, he rationalised it as they are set at tackle for 2021. They need interior help which you can find in round 2 and a developmental tackle in round 3 who can take over next year. He argued best way to help Joe is getting a rare talent like Pitts. 

Again, makes sense. Wonder if ATL already swipe him..

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

I believe signing Reiff complicated things. While he shouldn't preclude you from taking a tackle (feel I read he's willing to move inside if need be), it does make sense to give Joe another weapon like Pitts/Chase.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Again, makes sense. Wonder if ATL already swipe him..

I'm starting to feel like he's the pick if we stay at 4, though I believe we may still trade out.

22 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Playing Devil's advocate here, how much does having an elite receiver increase your ability to protect Burrow? 

From a football perspective, it probably will put the whole offense in a box, meaning in order to get him the ball they have to either get the ball out super fast or max protect in order to get him the ball. Also this pretty much means they wouldn't be able to run ball with any type of consistency, thus teams not respecting your run game which makes play actions ineffective. 

You just don't want to run an offense like that, you ideally want to be a threat in the run and the pass, that way you can dictate to the defense to pick their poison. Being predictable kills all of that.

Also, this is a historically good draft for WR, you could very well get a guy in the 2nd round that could be a very good to elite WR for years

Edited by MSURacerDT55

I was sure it was Sewell for a while, but I'm thinking it is Chase now. I think Burrow is going to lobby hard for him, and I think he is a good enough prospect (he should be on the same row as Sewell) that the Bengals can get on board with it.

As talented as Pitts is, I cannot see a TE being the first position player off the board. 

• Like 1

Something to consider, with a team like Cincinnati and Mike Brown, marketing and jersey sales are important. Chase is the sexier pick. The moment they draft him and he picks a number, jerseys will sell like hot cakes.  Don’t know if the Giants sold a lot of Andrew Thomas jerseys last year.  Also, they took Jonah at 12 a couple years ago, last year was in essence his rookie year, he wasn’t horrible, are they really gonna give up on him that soon? Plus they signed Reiff as a possible stop gap.  I think this is Chase

• Like 1

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Or you kill two birds with one stone by taking your highest rated OT at 5, and then kicking Jonah Williams into LG.

I'm good with either Sewell or Chase. Jonah Williams was a slightly above average LT last year and that was playing through injuries. Riley Reiff is a capable veteran who can provide similar value/production at RT. Trey Hopkins is a serviceable center, but not a guy who precludes them from passing on someone like Dickerson or Humphrey at 38. They have Quentin Spain and Xavier Sua-Fila battling for LG, and they may sign someone like Nick Easton to also compete there and back up Hopkins. Not an ideal situation at LG, but an upgrade from Michael Jordan.  RG is the gaping hole that needs filled. You can draft Sewell at 5 and Reiff kicks inside to RG. I don't think they are looking at a trade down at all for Slater or Darrisaw. If you pass on Sewell, there are a litany of guys who should be there at 38 that you can plug in at RG.  You might even be able to trade down from 38 and still get one. A lot of centers play their first year at G and kick in to C in year two (like Ragnow or Daniels), so even if they like Hopkins at C for 2021, Humphries or Dickerson could be options along with Wyatt Davis, Quinn Meinerz, Alex Leatherwood, Liam Eichenberg, Jalen Mayfield, maybe Sam Cosmi, Dillon Radunz,or Ben Cleveland (he seems to be liked by NFL teams).

So while Sewell is a great fit, I don't think he's the only fit. I'll be thrilled if the Bengals take him, but there is a legit argument for Chase.

Currently the Bengals top 4 WR are Tyler Boyd, Tee Higgins, Auden Tate, and Michael Thomas (not that Michael Thomas). Higgins is the only deep threat, and he wins deep as with size and hands, not separation. Tate hasn't been able to stay healthy, and while Boyd is one of the best slot guys in the game, he is still a slot guys, almost exclusively.  So while the Bengals top 2 is pretty damn good (top half of the league), the unit itself is thin, and a game breaker like Chase lining up outside at X could make it a top 5 unit.

I think there are good arguments for both. As long as it is one of Chase or Sewell at 5, I'm going to be pumped on draft day.

• Like 3

For me it's Pitts or trade down. It's really hard to obtain a top talent a TE, and if you want a tackle you'll probably find a really good one at 37. No Chase for me, as obtaining quality WRs it's not a difficult thing and they already have an average corps.

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Or you kill two birds with one stone by taking your highest rated OT at 5, and then kicking Jonah Williams into LG.

You could do that, I know they were emphatically against that last year and Jonah played well at tackle so they would have to risk impacting his development.

I think the drastic implications of whether it’s Sewell or Chase/Pitts are a bit overblown.

I mean, is there really that big a difference in Sewell & Rondale Moore and Chase & Carman?

There’s talent at both OT and WR in the top of the second range too.