What's a Football take that has you like this?

August4th

On 4/8/2021 at 7:56 PM, wackywabbit said:

Having a QB on a rookie contract.. heck anything cap space related talk in general is hot air. Y'all just get precious about it because you put yourselves in the position of having to pay the money. I couldn't care less about "cap hell" if I was a fan invested in a team's success on the field. As a football variable, cap space is like on the level of having extra late round draft picks, by my estimate.

Ehhh, I mean, kinda? But at a certain point the owner doesn't want to pay out any more real actual money, which is a reality. You can fudge the cap around 'til the cows come home, but the owner also has to give out real checks eventually.

On 4/8/2021 at 3:29 PM, LinebackerGod said:

Cool. If and when Lamar has to pass and the threat of play action is gone, he’s absolutely putrid. He’s a great weapon and elite fit for the scheme there, but he is simply not a good passer on obvious passing downs. Lamar can be a good football player and a bad passer. 

Care to back up your claim with evidence? In 2019 Lamar Jackson had the third highest conversion % on 3rd and long in the NFL. Can't find the 2020 stats as of now. But I've seen every snap, and I'd say his 3rd and long conversion % is pretty high relative to the league average. 

EDIT: I'm seeing that according to DVOA the Ravens were ranked 7th in 3rd and long plays in 2020. 

I guess it's time to revise your opinion. 

Edited by AngusMcFife

18 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

1. If it was a priority to keep him they could/would have found a way

1)  That's not how the NFL works. Just because a team trades or releases a player doesn't always mean they didn't want him.  As is the case with Fuller. 

The FO asked Fuller to take a pay-cut (because they were strapped on cap space) and he refused. So instead of the Bears trying to trade or extend him they released him, per his request.

2. If he was valued as "one of the best corners in the league" the Bears would have gotten a significant draft pick while trading him, as opposed to being cut. The best corners in the league don't hit UFA.

They didn't try to trade him, which is why so many fans like myself are so pissed about it.  He was cut strictly because of cap reasons and cap reasons ONLY. They gave him an ultimatum--either take a pay cut, or you're gone because we can't afford to keep you. And I keep track of the Bears cap and can speak to this.  Before his release we were under the cap.

Going back to my full quoted post, I said cap space is about as important as late round draft picks. Kyle Fuller didn't even fetch a late round draft pick when the Bears tried to trade him, so this doesn't disprove that.

It absolutely does disprove your point.  The Bears were in cap hell and they got worse because of it. Cap space matters alot and this is another example of it.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

3 hours ago, HolmesPriest said:

Andy Reid needs fired for losing the SuperBowl

Yeah, he's gotta go.  Clearly he's not a good enough coach to get a team to the supe.....

*Rethinks position*

Seriously tho, I may be out of the loop but have a large group of people actually said this?  God I hope not.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

WOOF! ARF, ARF, ARF!

I'm sure there's some, I dunno...meaning? or reference? or inside joke here? But it's lost on me, so I'm choosing to believe what it looks like: You've finally gone straight off the deep end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I'm sure there's some, I dunno...meaning? or reference? or inside joke here? But it's lost on me, so I'm choosing to believe what it looks like: You've finally gone straight off the deep end.

DMX reference, maybe? (RIP)

- I hate players referring to themselves as 'King'

- OL is alway under-valued, even though this has definitely improved

- PFF makes some really good points

- An elite secondary trumps an elite pass rush / as long as your pass rush isn't completely useless. I think if you had a great pass rush but a terrible secondary, you're going to be a 4 win team maximum. Quick passing now, it's too easy for an offense if your secondary is booty

Let's have ya...

3 hours ago, DannyB said:

You've finally gone straight off the deep end.

Oh I've done been off the deep end.

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

DMX reference, maybe? (RIP)

No, but I do feel pain on this one...

• Like 1